Difficulty vaping DIY, but not store bought?

Hello all… so this has been an ongoing saga since 2012. I’ve been testing it on and off over the years, but really disciplined myself to do it right over the last 2 months:

When I vape my DIY liquids it seem, my tonsils get really aggravated. I have been to several different ENT’s over the years, and they all say the same thing: My tonsils are bigger than normal (not that they have enlarged, just naturally bigger) and that they are inflamed. This only seems to happen after vaping DIY liquids.

I have tried MTL’s, Cloud chuckers, in between, testing if the coil comp was an issue, testing different resistances, wattage, Salts vs normal nic vs TFN, vaping 100% VG to see if I had a PG sensitivity, Nic anywhere from 0.5 Mg - 6mg on the chuckers (even tried that low with Salts). When I first started vaping, I have an old Ego C, and never had any issues until this suddenly started 6 months into being quit. I have tried all kinds of wicking material from cotton, to eko wool, hemp, etc etc.

I typically get recipes from here (but have in this go around tried some of the premade mixes like DIYor Die’s stuff). I rarely use any one flavor at higher than 3%, and very rarely total combined flavors more than 10%. I have tried with and without flavors, and individual flavors alone.

So, in this current round of testing, I decided to buy store juice from Red Star Vapor. Bought a few different flavors that are all over the flavor spectrum. I vaped them for 2 weeks, very little throat/tonsil irritation (typically if I forgot to hydrate). After that, I started DIYing and testing. Within a week my throat/tonsils starting getting pretty irritated. I tried all the things I listed above and no dramatic difference. Today I went back to the store stuff, and barely in irritation.

Right now I have been vaping the same type of devices, Wotofo Profile M, generally between 30-40 watts (I really can’t handle anything higher, no matter how I wick it it just tastes burnt above 45). I’m running the mesh coils that run about 0.18 ohms. (I have run MTL’s as high as 2.2 ohms in an attempt to mimic an Ego C in the past with no success).

Flavors tend to be the common ones found here (not that it mattered because even unflavored irritated me). I’m pretty sure the store bought flavors run along the same lines as my DIY flavors. The store bought is 10/90, 6 Mg Called Unicorn Dream (tastes like strawberry shortcake to me). I do tend to vape regularly throughout the day, taking minute or two breaks between hits (I also tested seeing if I needed to vape in other ways). I tend to leave the airflow wide open (but have tested in restricted too) and I do take longer drags.

I’m kind of at my wits end here. I don’t understand why my DIY would bother my throat/tonsils so much, but store bought I have very little irritation. Can anyone let me know if they believe I have missed anything in my testing, or if there is an additive in store bought that I don’t know about?

Thanks for reading, and any advice in advance!

6 Likes

The biggest difference between Commercial and DIY is that they are made in a clean room. I see no reason why DIY liquid would bother you . Do you use Palm or Soy VG or Rapseed i believe it is called ? Do you steep your DIY liquids ( there are no commercial liquids that are SnV ) all Commercial liquids are steeped . What nicotine do you use ? For the most part we use exactly the same flavors . Some companies like Mloecule Labs will create their own based on another companies or some companies do have proprietary flavors but thats a rare occasion.

5 Likes

Thanks for the detailed description of your issue.

The one thing that springs to my mind is that the pH is too high in the DIY blends you’ve had. Adding a smidgen of malic acid with a drop of Sour (TPA) may take edges off.

5 Likes

Hmmm… I was unaware that there are different kinds of VG. I have used VG from several different Vaping Vendors. I have never seen VG that states where it is from plant wise before.

I have tried SNV to 3 Weeks steeped on multiple flavors. I did not steep the flavorless tests though.

4 Likes

Could you tell me what a smidgen is by chance? :smiley:

I use the DIY calculator, so if you have a % recommendation, that would be appreciated. pH would be a possible culprit I have not taken into account.

3 Likes

Palm is the VG thatbis used the most , but in some places i believe Australia they use the rapeseed for some reason per @woftam i think thats what he told me lol…Your issue has me completely stumped , its not like we use anything different.

5 Likes

IKR. It stumped me for years now… until I thought to test a store bought brand and see if I still had a reaction this time around. I’m seriously wondering if @SquirrelSmash is on to something with the pH thought process

2 Likes

What recipes have you tried that bother you ?? Are there a coulle you can link? And do you vape similar profiles when you buy store bought ?

3 Likes

That would be hard to say …Add a couple drop of Malic if you want and see if it helps thats all you can do …

3 Likes

Similar profiles: Yes. I have tested custards, vanillas, fruits, cakes, everything but tobaccos (cause I don’t actually like the taste of tobacco at all weirdly enough). And the store bought I got was all the same ranges of flavors. Some, I’m pretty sure I could clone with a little bit of testing.

Here are some of the recent recipes I have tried:

I have also done single flavor (low %) tests too, trying to figure out if there was a specific flavor (or flavor type) that was the irritant (but that also wouldn’t make a ton of sense because I was getting irritation with no flavors too)

4 Likes

These are ooooold recipes , although imo some of the pcts are rather high i dont see anything that would cause concern…i dont agree that a couple are SnV

4 Likes

@echochild Maybe your problem is Diacetyl …Each of these recipes have flavors that contain Diacetyl…Most commercial companies use flavors that do not contain diacetyl and if they do rhey have small amounts very small

6 Likes

I’ve tested them all SNV and Steeped. A lot of them I cut the flavorings down by half and tried directly as the recipe specifies.

So, I don’t seem to have malic acid on hand. I found that I have 5% Citric Acid in VG though. Would that work as a substitute?

I don’t think Diacetyl is an issue. I get the same problem with vaping single flavor mixes that don’t have any chemical warnings on them.

5 Likes

No citric is different than malic…I think anythings worth a try but i dont thing adding Malic will help

3 Likes

I’ll order some malic, and in the mean time I’ll test a batch of unflavored with a little bit of citric and see what happens.

3 Likes

A smidgen is less than a glug and comparable to a pinch.

For percentages, I’d suggest a level most won’t detect: 0.08% - 1 drop per 30ml of juice.

3 Likes

Thanks Squirel. So, I don’t have malic on hand, but I have citric. Can they be substituted?

3 Likes

In short - no.

Substitution is something I thoroughly reject. It’s like wanting to eat chips and adding fluoroantimonic acid as you have run out of acetic.

4 Likes

Awesome. Order some Malic, will check back in after I get it and test for a few days.

3 Likes

Welcome and real glad you joined.

4 Likes