Digital Camera for!

Look in the fine print in that listing:

“Good Condition. Fast Shipping from Chicago. USA Seller. Works Great! In Very Good Condition! US Model Camera. Shows Minor Used Signs of” … “This unit has been thoroughly inspected, repaired and tested by our in-house, factory-trained technicians.”

Not new.

Recommend that you avoid this item. Buy a new product with return privileges and real factory warranty.

4 Likes

Yes indeed - and that is a significant difference between the Sony DSC-W800 and some … “lumpy box” !

3 Likes

there is super cheap “knock off ones” on ebay for like 20.00 and function just like the real deal.
I have 4 of them. I know. :slight_smile:

My kid loves them and uses them for different things he is into.

and they are brand new… do not buy used… mine so far have lasted over 3 yrs now.
I’d send one to you, but Ed would notice it was missing. for the price and what they do, go for it…
You can pull pictures off the videos.

3 Likes

Am not familiar with “GoPro” genre functionality. However, I would bet that they cannot focus as close as 2 Inches from subject, that “focus” as well as “exposure” and “white balance” are fixed on the very first frame recorded (or these parameter values dynamically hunt around, with very mixed results from frame to frame pulled). The quality of in-camera processing in the case of video streams tends to (by tech necessity) be marginal (as compared to still recording cameras). What is the (pixel) resolution of the extractable frames ?

3 Likes

Nikon p1000! He can literally watch the ufos on the moon with this one. A tad pricey though lol!

4 Likes

If you want to make a comparison, perhaps you could compare the Go Pro with an IPhone and the others with Androids. These days you can get really great cams that get similar results, even with more options, for a lot less money.
If I was buying it for an 8 year old, I’d stick to something cheap and if he likes it and uses it a lot, you know what to invest in for future years. For now, I’d just get something cheap that still gives you the option for easy photo / video, good enough quality (15-20MP should be great) and storage capacity and easy transfer of files. Shock and waterproof are always great bonus points when dealing with kids.

Personally, I don’t mind getting used stuff for myself to save money, but if it’s meant as a gift, I’d probably lean more towards something new.

3 Likes

If you do buy a (new) Sony DSC-800:

… recommend purchasing from BH Photo/Video. Their product listing is here.

Same price as Amazon, and same free shipping. Have purchased all of my cameras and related gear from them - and they can truly be trusted (more than can be said for many vendors). Amazon has been known (at least accused by some customers of) shipping-out “open box” returned (possibly problematic) cams as new.

3 Likes

Not real sure of that, @Raven-Knightly… but for an 8 yr old to just play with… it will be fine.
If it was for marketing, promos, or any other sort of business approach, I wouldn’t recommend a go pro. There are other various cams and cameras to better suit. :wink:

For every process, there is a perfect application…

3 Likes

Yes its for an 8 year old boy to goof around with…he has a Polaroid camera but has out grown it…so baby steps.

2 Likes

Smoky, do you have any links to such things presently offered on eBay (to have a look at, and research) ? Things that retail for $20 are probably manufactured for around $2 - $3 … :thinking: Seems “scary cheap” to me.

2 Likes

This is what I have…

for the cam:

for the accessories:

to dig thru… all I did was put gopro hero… but even a simple gopro will pull up things…
I happen to love ebay a heck of a lot more, as I find deals with free shipping and get 1% cash back every 3 months… :slight_smile:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gopro+hero&_sacat=0&_sop=15&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_All=1

3 Likes

I’m on my second Fuji, still have the first just wanted a better one. Have good luck with them and they take a great pic are tripod ready, you can get all kinds and styles.

3 Likes

Easy enough for someone familiar with tech/phones. :wink:

First, choose a phone with a great camera (I’d suggest a Samsung Galaxy s3).

Second, use a stock OS, and root it.

Third, remove all bloatware/fluff/unwanted apps.

Fourth, add ‘authorized points of contact’ to the address book/contacts list.

Fifth, install firewall, configure which apps have access to cell communications, which to wifi, and which to Bluetooth, etc.

Sixth, install app hider, so that settings can’t be accessed without approval from unauthorized personnel, even if they know the name of the app or process.

And these are just off the top of the head. :wink:

As long as you have root, ANYTHING can be done IF you know how.

4 Likes

Yes thats a big IF

4 Likes

Personally, I’d stick with your first instinct.

Just try and find a reasonably priced camera that does the job you need it to.

5 Likes

Fidalgo, keep us posted on the verdict regarding your decision, and how things eventually work out for you !

3 Likes

I will for sure , id like to thank everyone for their time and opinions…ive been round and round trying to make a choice. Tomorrow is my day off and uve decided to go look in person to see what these features are , then I may be able to make a choice. The clock is ticking , electronics are always the hard part for me…

Note: I do think I want the camera to take AA or AAA batts instead of a battery that is only for the camera like the first camera I posted

3 Likes

(IMO), assessing how well a “GoPro” type (largely designed to be dedicated to video recording) rig would meet the (present, as well as anticipated future) needs/wants of your little one is important to consider. The low prices of some of the (several years older) ones might be attractive as far as the pocketbook - but if he would like to have more standard compact camera functionality (such as being able to focus close-up, use superior optical “zoom”, and more directly and effectively control still-image-recording parameters such as “exposure”, “white-balance”), as well as to at times (also) record videos, then look at the Sony DSC-800.

I can dig that - but note that such a capability is very, very rare to be found these days. Compact cameras that ran on non-proprietary battery types disappeared by around 2008 (in the case of Panasonic compacts). Fuji was the last hold-out, but also ditched that not long after. Making a purchasing choice based upon such a requirement would be very limiting. Note that all of the GoPro models appear to require proprietary batts.

4 Likes

I will check it out… The go pro is appealing , I’ll add this Sony to my list .

3 Likes

Recommend that you have a look at this fairly informative, and overall relatively favorable DSC-800 review:
https://www.lifewire.com/sony-dsc-w800-review-4589510

Although battery charging takes place via the USB port located on the camera, the unit comes with an AC wall adapter (with a USB cable leading from it, in order to connect the supplied AC adapter to the camera).

3 Likes