Diketones, Oils, Sugars, GMO – All-in-one page: FA, TPA, FLV, CAP, FW, LB, etc

Compiled some quoted/linked references (here and here) that (in my own personal opinion) may constitute some causes for concern surrounding the inhalation of cinnamaldehyde and 2-methoxycinnamaldehyde. :thinking:

3 Likes

Excellent research. Comforting to know what I’ve already experimented with over several years is an insignificant exposure.

Will continue avoiding Cherry flavors for the foreseeable future though, to avoid systemic accumulation of benzaldehyde. So many other things I’m taking calculated risks with.

It would be great if you could post other flavor chemicals you’ve read having health risks, even if research is still limited. Thanks!

3 Likes

iVape, I myself do not think of what I found, quoted, and referenced to constitute indications that exposure to Benzaldehyde is “insignificant” - just perhaps somewhat less concerning than are some other substances.

My own personal interpretation of what I found was that (outside of possible direct exposure effects upon lung tissue) once Benzaldehyde is absorbed (via various routes of administration), it seems to (in general) be rapidly and effectively metabolized and excreted. (I) would worry more about activity in/upon lung tissue.

Glad to know that my limited research efforts have perhaps been somewhat helpful to you. I switched to (DIY NET flavored) vaping (lower power, higher Nicotine concentrations) around one year ago, after ~48 years of continual cigarette tobacco smoking. While I do look into various substances at times, please note that I am not a chemist, physiologist, toxicologist, or (in particular) a “moralist”. Just a rather curious nerd … :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Similar strategy here. Low power and ever decreasing amounts of nic. Was multi-decade smoker (up to 2 packs a day). Dodged multiple bullets as it were (no medical consequences). Switched to vaping three years ago 6mg then 3mg in three months. No relapse. Last year averaged 1.5mg. This year averaging 0.15mg. :beers:Cheers!

3 Likes

Public Health Consequences of E-Cigarettes
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507171/

Excellent resource and research compilation with comprehensive risk analysis and 2018 research.

1 Like

Vape Pods Taste Minty Thanks to Extremely High Levels of a Chemical Banned in Food

A new study released Monday by researchers at Duke University found that certain e-cigarette liquids contains extremely high levels of a chemical that has been banned as a synthetic food additive by the FDA since last year. The chemical, called pulegone, occurs naturally as an essential oil in plants including peppermint and pennyroyal, and was used in its synthetic form to add a minty flavor to things like candy and alcoholic drinks. But despite all the evidence that pulegone is carcinogenic and causes liver toxicity, researchers found the chemical is present in mint and menthol-flavored e-cig liquid at levels far above a safe threshold.

This study is the latest in a growing pile of proof to how little-regulated e-cigs and vapes are. To illustrate that, researchers compared pulegone levels in mint and menthol e-cig liquid to levels in menthol cigarettes. At all levels of daily consumption, pulegone exposure from vape pods are significantly higher than exposure from cigarettes, with rates ranging from 44 to 1,608 times higher.

Trashing all my mint, menthol and related flavors.

1 Like

All of these various alleged “factoids” (might, possibly) motivate a person to stick with Nicotine Gum. Dunno.

Pulegone is within the “terpenoid” class of molecules. For THC lovers wishing to amp up their paranoia:

(2017): “Toxicant Formation in Dabbing: The Terpene Story

3 Likes

Risk Analysis for the Carcinogen Pulegone in Mint- and Menthol-Flavored e-Cigarettes and Smokeless Tobacco Products

Pulegone, a constituent of oil extracts prepared from mint plants, including peppermint, spearmint and pennyroyal, is a carcinogen that causes hepatic carcinomas, pulmonary metaplasia, and other neoplasms on oral administration in rodents.1 In 2018, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) banned synthetic pulegone as a food additive.2 Studies by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) detected substantial amounts of pulegone in mint- and menthol-flavored e-cigarette liquids and smokeless tobacco products marketed in the United States.3,4 The tobacco industry has minimized pulegone levels in cigarette flavorings because of toxicity concerns. Mint- and menthol-flavored e-cigarettes may be exempt from proposed federal regulations; therefore, the health risk associated with pulegone in these products should be considered.

1 Like

Carcinogen Found in Mint and Menthol E-Cigs
Flavoring was banned from foods last year for cancer risk

In their risk analysis, Jordt and Jabba examined data from recent studies conducted by investigators with the CDC, evaluating the chemical composition of sample e-cigarette and smokeless tobacco products.

They calculated the margin of exposure (MOE) based on oral pulegone concentrations identified in the studies for five e-cigarette products (V2 Menthol, V2 Peppermint, Premium Menthol, South Beach Smoke Menthol, South Beach Smoke Peppermint) and one smokeless tobacco product (Skoal Xtra Mint snuff).

MOE is used by the FDA to calculate cancer risk associated with food additives. The FDA considers a food additive safe for ingestion if its concentration is 10,000 times lower than the concentration shown to be carcinogenic in rats, Jordt explained.

The researchers defined a light user as someone who used 5 mL of e-liquid, smoked a half pack of cigarettes or uses 10 grams of smokeless tobacco daily. Daily moderate use was defined as use of 10 mL of e-liquid, one pack of cigarettes, or 20 g of smokeless tobacco; heavy use was defined as 20 mL of e-liquid, two packs of cigarettes, or 30 g of smokeless tobacco daily.

MOEs for all products analyzed were found to be below the accepted MOE threshold of 10,000 for carcinogens, reflecting risk greater than considered acceptable.

“For the e-liquid with the highest pulegone concentrations, MOEs were between 1,298 and 3,084 for 5 mL daily consumption and 325 and 771 for 20-mL daily consumption, below the safety threshold of 10,000,” the researchers wrote. “Depending on consumption rates, MOEs for the e-liquids ranged between 325 and 6,012; for a pulegone-containing smokeless tobacco they ranged between 549 and 1,646.”

When exposures from the tested e-cigarettes were compared with those typically found in conventional menthol cigarettes (estimated to range between o.037-0.290 µg/g of pulegone), exposures were higher in all e-cigarette user groups, by factors ranging from 44 to 1,608.

There are no studies specifically examining the safety of inhaled pulegone, and Jordt acknowledged that carcinogenic risk may be different from that estimated for oral ingestion.

But he added that extrapolation of inhalation exposure levels from oral toxicity studies is common practice among regulators.

He added that the threshold for chemical inhalation exposures are typically lower than for oral exposures since “the digestive system is better equipped to handle chemical exposures than the lungs.”

“But we absolutely need studies to examine the long-term impact of pulegone inhalation exposure,” he said.

Other study limitations cited by the researchers included the limited data involving only 5 e-liquids and 1 smokeless tobacco product.

They concluded, however, that their findings “appear to establish health risks associated with pulegone intake and concerns that the FDA should address before suggesting mint- and menthol-flavored e-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products as alternatives for people who use combustible tobacco products.”

1 Like

The Beatles went up in smoke near Fort Oglethorpe, Ga., on August 12, 1966.

Source: https://flashbak.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/PA-9425676.jpg

The Beatlemania bonfire, planned by Chuck Smith, 13, was in protest against John Lennon’s remark.

Source: https://flashbak.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/PA-12049490.jpg

2 Likes

I hear you. Still have 70+ flavours to choose from, so no biggie for me. Will cull more flavours as research progresses.

2 Likes

BIG Update

Delosi (DEL) moved down (they removed all the info about DAAP in their flavorings)
Purilum (PUR) moved down (no info about their flavorings can be found)
Molinberry (MB) moved down (they removed test results from their website; DAAP info is very basic now)
Flavor Concentrates (FC) moved down (no info about DAAP anymore)
Cream de Vape (CdV) all the info about DAAP disappeared from their website

Hangsen (HS) jumped up with their most transparent lab test reports
Wonder Flavors (WF) jumped on top (they published all the info about DAAP + Acetaldehydes and Furfural)

Bickford Flavors (BF) newly added
Liqua (LQA) newly added
NaturaCig (NC) newly added

Totally Wicked (TW) removed
Umba Vape (UMB) removed; closed it seems
CorsicaVap (CV) removed; closed it seems
Flavor Express (FE) removed; closed it seems
Great Lkes (GL) removed; closed it seems
Baker Flavors (BF) removed; out of business it seems

One on One (OoO) GMO-Free statement.
GMO-Free statements added also for several more brands now.

Nicotine River (NR) levels of AP/A in their flavorings added
Atmos Labs (AL) some new info and SDS for most of their flavorings added
Overall, many links refreshed and some info updated here and there.

Ty @woftam. I was able to update some info with that link.

4 Likes

More chemicals to be concerned with:

• Caramel color: 2,3-pentanedione?
  • Citric Acid: Decomposes into citraconic anhydride at ~230C
  • Peppermint oil: contains pulegone/menthofuran, toxic and inflammatory
  • Sodium chloride: high concentrations may affect alveolar chemistry
  • Cinnamon leaf oil: cinnamaldehyde + oil (possible link to lipid pneumonia)
  • Corn syrup (sugar): caramelization produces acrolein/formaldeheyde
  • Fructose (sugar): caramelization produces acrolein/formaldeheyde
  • Molasses (sugar): caramelization produces acrolein/formaldeheyde
  • Cocoa Butter: solid fats, potential for lipid pneumonia
  • Lime Oil: possible link to lipid pneumonia
  • Lemon Oil: possible link to lipid pneumonia
  • Orange Oil: possible link to lipid pneumonia
  • Cloverleaf oil: possible link to lipid pneumonia
  • Eucalyptus oil: possible link to lipid pneumonia
  • Caprylic Acid: ???
  • Triethyl Citrate: ???
  • Acetyl Pyrazine: ???
6 Likes

What a magnificent info this is!

Info about all the flavors of FW, TGA, CAP, FLV, WF, FA, HS, INW, MB, FM, RF, NR in one place.
(FA is missing Custard Premium & Butter)

Thx for sharing @iVapeDIY !!

3 Likes

Thank you @iVapeDIY.

2 Likes

This URL has been assimilated into my collective

6 Likes

PC, butter, Corn and the like are not on their “Vape” sale line but in the kitchen line… that’s why I think it’s not there…

Thanks for sharing @iVapeDIY !!

3 Likes

But of course! That makes perfect sense! Thx @Iv3shf !

3 Likes

Added the URL in our forum,a Blogger saw it and made a post about it, italian mixers, go and have a look, let’s spread the site and let’s hope they’ll be able to add as many manufacturers as possible…

3 Likes

This is a nice and informative post. I am going to try some flavours to make my own e juice. I was stuck with the steeping thing and hence I got some help from the internet to do it properly. I also got a lot of help on the measurements and I hope I can make a good one now. Thanks.

3 Likes