Director of CDC Resigns in Big Tobacco Stock Corruption Scheme

more here;

Brenda Fitzgerald, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, resigned Wednesday after coming under scrutiny for buying shares of a tobacco company while leading the agency.

Fitzgerald also owned stock in various tobacco companies, including Reynolds American, British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands, Philip Morris International and Altria Group, before taking her position, Politico reported Tuesday. The CDC is a national leader in the fight against tobacco.

“Dr. Fitzgerald owns certain complex financial interests that have imposed a broad recusal limiting her ability to complete all of her duties as the CDC director,” CDC spokesman Matt Floyd said in a statement. She “could not divest from them in a definitive time period.”

After assuming her role as the head of the CDC, Fitzgerald also purchased stock in various health care companies including Bayer and Humana, Politico reported. A Health and Human Services Department confirmed “potentially conflicting” stock purchases to Politico and told the outlet Fitzgerald had since sold them.

5 Likes

And the beat goes on
And the beat goes on
Drums keep a poundin
a rhythms to the head

5 Likes

This story was reported in January of 2018.

1 Like

You are right the Brenda Fitzgerald situation came to light the first of this year, but I did not see it until this Wed when I was reading this recent report: Rep. Pete Sessions, R-Dallas, called Wednesday for the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to step down, hours after a second health care worker in Dallas tested positive for Ebola.

I scanned / searched for a report here on the forum but did not see one, so I posted it, better late than never. As it is critical that we vapers pay attention to the close links to Big Tobacco / Big Pharma / Big Regulation

There is a proud tradition of this at the CDC , recalling that in July of 2016 there was this: CDC Official Steps Down After Coca-Cola ILSI Scandal Comes To Light

The point is that the Public Health regulation in the USA is corrupt on an on-going basis.

8 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, The CDC, FDA & Public Healthcare system are owned by Lobbyist & Private interest Representatives that have their own agenda. They grease the palms of those we entrusted to have the best interest of the public in mind. Whether it be Big Pharma or Big Tobacco the payoff is high. And little to nothing is done to curb it. image

6 Likes