DIY Coil jig, first attempt

I wanted to try making my own coils. I put together a cheap device that gives me full control and here is my ever first selfmade coil. Staggered fused clapton 26/36ga.

22 Likes

Looks perfect! What’s the ramp up time on those?

6 Likes

Great looking wire @Hocky79.

6 Likes

Thank you! It’s to long. I tried it in a dual setup. 0.159 on

a mech tube. I have made a second attempt with kanthal instead and 28/36ga.

10 Likes

Thank you!

4 Likes

Beautiful coil! Nice coil machine, very cool. Are you using any software program to design your coil spec’s? I use “Vape Tool” for Android phone and I am able to know that my coil will perform before I build it. It takes some learning but I wouldn’t want to be without it.

8 Likes

Thanx!! I use the same app. I actually just had to start make my own coils if i want to be able to use valhalla rda on my rulebreaker :wink:

7 Likes

@Hocky79 Looks like you did a great job. Fantastic !!

7 Likes

Looks amazing.
Job well done

6 Likes

VapeTool is a good app but I have found it wildly inaccurate for resistance. For example I put specs in recently for a pretty basic coil, it predicted a 0.3 ohm resistance yet it measured 0.84ohms on two different mods.

4 Likes

I find it is due to the default resistivity values. I input the values from the manufacturer of the wire I’m using. The value is listed on the spool or I go the the manufacturer web site if it is not on the spool. I like that Vape Tool for Android provides the ability to use custom values. You can also input the exact diameter of wire for a given gauge number. I also like the help pages with great pictures. The help pages taught me a lot when I was green.

5 Likes

Welcome to ELR @Mick_Moore.

That’s a pretty BIG variance.

4 Likes

Sweet setup👌 I don’t build anything quite that exotic, just some twisted & occasionally some claptons, but that looks superb!!

4 Likes