DIY vape vs original brands

sure you can, if they are to be had = have someone you trust, in another state get them and mail to you.

3 Likes

@muth
I was asking for your ā€œStackedā€ obviously. Thanks but those flavors could be hard to findā€¦

3 Likes

@SessionDrummer
Big thanks. I can say your words were the most comforting and encouraging and inspiring.

Especially your 2nd message explaining about FLV flavors I lack but they seem to be of my taste profile.

Youā€™re just the next in the row explaining what I was obviously not aware of: the commercial juices are made by so many people who test and combine hundreds, thousands maybe of flavors, who do it as their profession/job 8 hours daily. One cannot expect to nail their best recipes by making 10,20, even 50 trials. So, why bother - make your own.

Yes, I understand, my mistake. I was thinking like combining some 10 flavors in various 20 combinations should bring me close to the original.

Wrong. Well, partly wrong. Because, a friend of mine from CA (jbitts here on ELR) with his much better nose for ingredients bought a bottle of my favourite commercial Nasty Silver tobacco blend. He was immediately impressed and hooked. He managed to detect correctly VBIC by TPA in there. That was a start. I was sure about RY4 double also makes part. We were then adding Vanilla swirl, various vanilla custards, ss, Holy Grail RY4, Caramelsā€¦ So, I came closer to Silver blend with a combo which smelled exactly but when vaped after 3 daysā€¦ it was nothing like the commercial Silver. Well, amongst some 20 mixes Iā€™ve made this one turned out the closest, but only after almost 2 months of steeping.

During this testing jbitts was thinking logically: if the commercial juice is made in Malaysia (Nasty) - do they have their own flavourings. Bingo! Yes, they do: Wrecka (Reka). So he ordered some and a tobacco flavor felt right as a sweet dark fruity tobacco.

In short, we continue mixing on with Wrecka and I should admit partly the opposite of what I was claiming above: with Wrecka flavors another world has opened. It does not exactly support cloning the Nasty Silver but it got us up to such good tobacco vape combinations that it seems close, maybe even better than the original commercial juice.

Still, it needed more steeping and only now, after 3 weeks that Wrecka tobacco flavor mellowed with other flavors to loose a bit of its strength allowing creams and vanilla to pop up.

In the meantime I lost my patience and started this new discussion.

And, I am not sorry, on the opposite: more than 50 replies is more than I ever got. I like to see you all even started a very proffessional and correct and fair discussion amongst yourselves.

So, thanks again to everyone.

I will keep loving and buying the Nasty Silver but on the DIY way I made friends with someone from the other side of this planet and, possibly came close to creation of a diy juice that will be one of my top vapes if not the best at the end.

Still, it takes lots of time which I do not have. That made me nervous and frustrated cause I couldnā€™t see the real result. Steeping does make a change.

I owe so many responses to everyone but need the time to go thru everything and will respond. And will report. And, in a month or 2 me and jbitts will come up with our top result for those of you who might appreciate a sweet smooth tobacco vanilla vape.

Finally what I am most surprised by is that the MAJORITY of you who read this - nobody has ever tried the Nasty Silver??? A warm friendly suggestion if you like sweet tobacco vapes: make yourself a favour, go buy a bottle (50ml) of it and I am sure not a person would not be impressed by that exquisite juice.

I just know it contains smth nobody will ever define to get the original cloned. But, I got to this understanding, it was not important. The goal is almost achieved and that is coming to a very very pleasing DIY to be shared with the community.

I also owe to explain about my vape preferences, one of my next texts.

8 Likes

@fidalgo_vapes
@SessionDrummer

Yeah, I know the feeling. But, being a married and employed man with other hobbies apart from vaping I can hardly allow myself to ā€œstealā€ a few hours weekly for diy-ing. I can also get lost into it at night, I do know the feeling but the next day than is a hard oneā€¦

Thatā€™s why I was saying maybe buying commercial juices is just as good if not better than diy.

It actually depends on your private life and preferences. I will never be able to make my own hundreds of notes to come to a ā€œperfectly balancedā€ recipe of my own. So I will need to settle with what I can mix in a short time. Actually in 3 years I have some top 10 recipes that I use constantly. So, that should do.

But, will always be buying 5-10 commercial juices as well because I have no time to develop them again the way I did with Nasty Silver.

7 Likes

What flavors are easy for you to obtain? Itā€™s possible to put together a coffee vape with many other brands.

2 Likes

Just replying to a few of you guys who suggested me to explain about what my vaping preferences are:

Yes, I like it rather sweet, but not too much. Must admit no commercial juice felt oversweetened to me. But I felt like I would prefer some of them with just a bit less of sweetener.

I usually use 0.5-1% od SS. Yes, I also use Sweet stevia, brown sugar, cotton candy, marshmallowsā€¦

My preferred profiles would be:

• creamy, custardy tobaccos
  • no nuts, no acetyl pyrazine
  • fruity mixes especially mango, lemon, berries, tangerine, cactus, combined with cooling agents for the summer

Style of vaping: mostly restrictive DL but enjoying fully DL drag as well from time to time. MTL in daily use as well but found out restrictive DL is better for flavor

Devices in favourite order: Hadaly RDA, Aegis Boost pod-mod - best restrictive DL, Freemax DL tank, Aspire Nautilus 2 mtl, Expromizer V4 mtl, Renowa Zero pod, Caliburn pod.

Nic salts. Only for my mtl using cobined approx 50/50 salts and regular nicotine. DL absolutely only salts.

Problem: PG sensitivity which I succeeded to decrease a bit by drinking lots of water, some 2 liters/day.

I donā€™t know how this could help anyone to understand my preferring of the commercial juices to DIY. But no problem to reveal it.

9 Likes

@muth
Dark bean by FA and TPA Mocha in my stash. I do like coffee. My continous vape combination for mtl is coffee d.b. 3% + creme brulee 7%. I think that was my 1st diy recipe later adopted to:

5 Likes
4 Likes

@jbitts
Inviting this way my ELR buddy jbitts to maybe comment on Silver Nasty if he finds some timeā€¦ Being so busy lately I doubt it but heā€™ll probably soon come up with a great Wrecka - Silver recipe.

3 Likes

Sorry, I meant to ask what flavor brands can you get?

3 Likes

Anything by Chefā€™s flavors. Nicotine river became expensive in shipping. But, you will understand I am a bit tired of collecting so many new flavors to just create another recipe. I have some 30 new ones waiting to get mixed into some 15 recipes apart from playing with Wrecka flavorsā€¦ I probably am overdoing diy because I have some 50 bottles (15 mls each) of my diy juices that I even donā€™t find the time to test. 90% of those end up in toilet with time. But this way I came to some 10 favourite diy recipes and I should be good with that.

Besides, I did mix much dark bean coffee and it never worked without a tobacco, as you saw the upper recipe was combined with Soho which I forgot to mention as my top flavor out of all.

6 Likes

LOL.

So, 90% of commercial juices were bad but you still lack the top 5 thst much it makes you crazy with that ban.

Well, I know about those stupid bans and donā€™t envy you. But, not exactly in my words but youā€™re frustrated too cause canā€™t get your hands on at least one of your favourite commercial juices? The same here, I couldnā€™t remain a vaper without the Nasty Silver. Try to get that one in your lifetime, wonā€™regret it.

2 Likes

@Mikser

That ^ right there is why I have just no desire to order 10x the tiny sample sized bottles opposed to choosing well regarded flavours with globally glowing reviews thatā€™re in my flavour set - desserts, custards, creamies.

I already know the kinds of profiles I like and - using that FLV Smooth Vanilla as an example: though itā€™s expensive thereā€™s no need to order a 10mL ā€œsample sizeā€ to try it first - Flavorah are such a well reputed brand that I know if theyā€™re charging $50 a bottle itā€™ll be good enough to use.

Smooth Vanilla will without a doubt fit into multiple recipes just like Capella Vanilla Custard v1 - why waste time ordering a tiny bottle thatā€™s more plastic than concentrate when itā€™s already guaranteed to be an excellent flavour and I already know that before ordering?

Course Iā€™ll inevitably end up picking the odd dud here or there, but the % of duds will be the same ordering more smaller bottles anyway since all Iā€™d be doing is increasing the number of flavours I order.

But so far, only the ones Iā€™ve decided to randomly roll the dice on have been potentially not much good, though Iā€™m not even firmly set against those until Iā€™ve actually mixed and used them: simply smelling the bottle doesnā€™t tell you everything.

Why order a cupboard-full of shit just to try then out?

1 Like

Maybe this will help you, maybe notā€¦ You were mentioning some companies. Nasty Juice and Horny Flava are Malaysian companies; Malaysia is known for making outstanding fruity eliquids.

Knowing this i would most certainly cancel all mangos (or other fruits) we most frequently use (brands like FLV, VTA, WF, the rest) and i would go after Reka first (Malaysian company, Wrecka at Chefs; Sexy Mango is the suspect) since itā€™s the easiest to get here to see if you can get any closer. Most probably (almost certainly) that one is not used (my guess is theyā€™d rather be using less known hard-to-get brands; and better flavors overall).

Mango everyone is mentioning as exceptional is DuoMei Yellow Mango (and people talk high about their other flavors too; Chinese company). I know Leilani talked about it years ago and maybe you could ask them for free samples on FB (again, years ago all you had to do is pay the shipping). Since youā€™re obsessed (in a good way) with a mango/clone i would recommend to try with them (at least itā€™s quite unlikely you wouldnā€™t love their mango). Their flavors are extremely concentrated; sometimes their recommendation is 0.05%. Side note: Malaysian juices are almost always using coolants; so iā€™d probably add some Polar Blast FA and/or ws23 in that kind of clone attempt.

All in all, imho trying to clone eliquids of this brand (or probably any other Malaysian) would be nearly impossible for us since those companies are most probably using other brands. Pacha Mama is Californian, so finding out the right ingredients should be easier (but far far far from easy; at least there is a chance they are using same flavors as we do, but who knowsā€¦)

For Nasty Silver i cannot help since iā€™m not a bacco fan. I found this review somewhere:

ā€œIt tastes like a milder version of the Gold Blend for me (which is quite intense). But still full of flavour! I canā€™t compare it with the bBonze Blend because I havenā€™t tried that one yet. Itā€™s not ridiculously sweet, and not ridiculously vanilla either. Nasty Juice quality as per usual. A very balanced vape.ā€

Best tobaccos of known brands are FLV, Stixxx, some INW. Out of these, INW is highly unlikely, Stixxx is probably too expensive and not a friendly choice for premium brands for other reasons, FLV is quite newā€¦ so if Nasty is a new company, then it might be this one, but again, it is quite likely they are using their own (Asian) flavors again; especially if noone came close in cloning attempts.

My advice would be to try that new Vanilla Tobacco FLV as SessionDrummer mentioned (this one is definitely not used in their eliquid, but based on his review that one is close to exceptional, meaning it might bring you closer than any recipe clone you tried + youā€™ll maybe be able to recognize what vanilla or cream or tobacco might work well with it; but keep in mind that this will surely not be a clone of Nasty Silver since new flavor).

6 Likes

I thought I brought that up? lol Itā€™s crazy to think about. I imagine the taste testers having their own assistants waiting on them. After each sample, they get handed a new RDA with fresh cotton to try the next variationā€¦ Probably not but my imagination runs wild at times.

They could be testing flavor combinations another way. Like actually just tasting the liquid or flavoring small amounts of water. I donā€™t know how likely either of those would be be it wouldnā€™t surprise me. Some professions utilize smell to create fragrances. Food flavorings usually have fragrant qualities. Those could be all wrong and theyā€™re just vaping their tests like we do.

3 Likes

@Wombatred26
Thanks for your opinion. Wellthere might be a slight decline in vaping cost against the stinkies but not in my way of vaping: I regulary go for several commercial juices that I adore and those are not cheap. Along with that I am constantly ordering flavourings which are expensive if buying FLV, add the shipping, customs for import and VAT. Almost double the price of what you find at Bull city or Nicriver. The hardware also needs some investment constantly. Donā€™t forget about the nic and salts I am using, in Europe we can only buy bottles of 10ml (20mg) so thatā€™s also more expensice. Putting it alltogether on a yearly base I can maybe save 300-400 $.

Besides I have had a real good experience with commercial juices but I never just picked a bottle in the vape shop but studied it online, checked peopleā€™s opinions and then ordered. The only 2 juices I remember were just bellow average were from Israel - Yaeliq I believe is the brand. To weak and nothing special but fairly priced and again full, vapable just lacking an extra good flavor.

So, not everyone is the same, Iā€™d love to save some more cash by DIY but as long as I canā€™t even clone a sole premium commercial juice it doesnā€™t really pay to push it further. The most important thing is I do enjoy vaping and just couldnā€™t replace it with any other thing.

Yeah, have a good one, the Scotsman Vic Mullin would say.

6 Likes

I simply - must agree about FLV. Not one flavor let me down until now and that Vanilla must come to my stash.

5 Likes

@Mixer
Too good to be true. Finally smbdy who understans me (along with @SessionDrummer) and has tried the Nasty brand. And, knows about Wrecka (Reka).

And, gives correct and fair suggestions. Am impressed by you Mixer, thanks. 10 points to your response.

I sign under your words and thatā€™s what my future attempts will be. I suppose I got some good advices here not to push it with cloning so Iā€™ll see how that Wrecka Sexy mango works. Yeah, I like that cooling effect by Polar blast/ws-23.

Still, looking for smbdy who tried to vape on Nasty Silver. Nobody?

6 Likes

Thatā€™s what I said - with numbers.

Where you think that ~1K went? The only difference is 30mL to 100mL bottles 'steada 10mL ones.

2 Likes

I love REK Sexy Mango, exactly the mango Iā€™d love to useā€¦ except for that note that makes me think it was stored in cardboard at some point before I got it. Sadly nothing Iā€™ve done has been able to cover it (so farā€¦)

6 Likes