DIY windshield wiper fluid

Has anybody here experimented with using PG to make windshield wiper fluid?
That nasty winter is coming and I’ll be using lots of it… was wondering if anyone had an effective recipe.
I’ve got filtered/deionized/destilled water, PG, washing liquid and a bit of alcohol in mind (blue food coloring optional but not required). Temperatures down to -25°C is what I’m aiming for (~ -15°F).

5 Likes

Never thought of using it for that, but I did find this online for what it’s worth. Not my site or commentary, just a Google-Fu hit.

3. Glycols such as ethylene glycol do not work as windshield washer fluids due to their low vapor pressure. Think of spreading Karo syrup on your windshield when it is cold outside.

6. Propylene glycol is not volatile enough to use as a windshield washer fluid (see comment #3 above).

http://madscientistmatt.blogspot.com/2006/02/homemade-windshield-washer-fluid.html

6 Likes

/me thinks you haven’t done the math quite yet.

With no other ingredients…

With ALL the ingredients…

11 Likes

Comment #7 from the link above speaks to that too…

7. I just bought a gallon of the blue stuff for $1.88 at the Safeway gas pumps. How much of this stuff would you have to use to financially justify making your own? Does it really save that much money? If so, might it be time to re-evaluate where you are driving? Driving on the actual road might help.

5 Likes

Pg is used in RV anti-freeze because its Generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Not sure what else they use in the mix but it does freeze to a slush, and its a bit sticky.

2 Likes

Is the blue stuff GRAS by the FDC, maybe I should switch over to the “
“winter” eliquid

2 Likes

Damn, that’s some pretty cheap fluid you got there… it’s a hell of a lot more expensive here, usually about €15 for 5L
I can get 5L of PG for £15 and didn’t think to use it pure… rubbing alcohol doesn’t cost much either and water/soap even less.

4 Likes

blahahahahaha, Me thinks I’m a gonna warsh my winders wit elmer’s glue. Help them there wipers stick to da winder better!!!

7 Likes

Sounds good. I would add 3.5% VBIC (TPA).

Cuz who doesn’t like vanilla windshield?

8 Likes

And pepper goes hand in hand with salt! LMAO
(thinking winter snow, and the salt on the road)

7 Likes

It certainly doesn’t help the inside of my windows!

7 Likes

Add lemon juice to the mix Filter lemon juice that should cut though most Greece

4 Likes

This thread reminds me… I need to pick up some wiper fluid too… gee.
and a change of oil and check the other fluids too… Ear marked for the weekend. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I need new wiper blades. Here in Houston they melt to the windshield. Then when you use them part of them stay stuck to the windshield and splits the rubber like peeling a Banana :expressionless:

8 Likes

eww… hope they won’t scratch your glass, @JiM210:crazy_face:

4 Likes

Use a Refractor to dial it in on the freeze point …

3 Likes

Always a good idea when heading into winter!

4 Likes

& summer! Bugs eegh :mosquito:

5 Likes

Or to the inspection office! Mine failed once because I had a little peel on one of my blades. I didn’t even know that was an inspection item.

2 Likes

Around my neck of the woods every place that does inspections has a nice stock of replacement wipers with a premium markup.

4 Likes