Do you guys like larger images in reviews, or smaller images?

Realizing different forum software will downconvert/shrink images depending on the backend settings, I typically use larger, high res images for reviews, but I have seen other forums wherein the images are much smaller, and some are so small, they cannot even be clicked and zoomed. Via mobile viewing, obviously higher res images will probably not be required, but I was wondering where all of you stood on the subject.

Bigger:

Smaller:

• Larger
  • Smaller

0 voters

6 Likes

I really couldnā€™t see the difference :man_shrugging:
But then again I canā€™t see shyt very well anymore :face_with_monocle:
That said, I would have to vote LargeršŸ‘Œ

7 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m with @Rocky02852.
As long as I can zoom in if I click the image, Iā€™m good, but Iā€™d have to go with larger by default.

7 Likes

I was trying to come up with a ā€œThatā€™s what she said!ā€ reply, but it wouldnā€™t really pertain to the topic. Mark me down for ā€˜eitherā€™.

5 Likes

As displayed as well as both sets enlarged I could not see any difference. Iā€™m an either. :smile:

7 Likes

I would say large (to see detail), but shrink the weight of the image file as much as possible.

EG:
1920x1080 4mb (original)
vs
1920x1080 800k (ā€œshrunkā€)

Keeps it easier on the server (and end user to DL), while at the same time making it easy for older eyes to see.

9 Likes

Yeah I couldnā€™t see the difference myself, had to ask my wife for her opinion because her vision is spot on, she said #largerforthewin :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

@big_vape, @Lostmarbles, @Rocky02852, @TorturedZen, @Sprkslfly

If you click on the first image, expands it to much larger, and you then have right and left arrows, to scroll through ALL of the images in the post. Then you can see the differences.

4 Likes

IDK, still looks the same to me :man_shrugging:
But itā€™s hard to concentrate, my wife keeps grabbing the iPad and wants to go back and look at @woftam ā€˜s foot long mod in the Handcheck thread.
Wonder if heā€™s using small or large imaging :thinking:

6 Likes

I think those are both a good size for the forum as viewed on a phone. I voted for the larger. It wasnā€™t too large. I donā€™t like it when they are poster sized and I have to wait for my device to paint the screen. I also donā€™t like it when the pictures are the exact size. I try to make it bigger to see better and nothing happens when I try. I have DSL internet that varies in speed between 3.5 to 7 mB/s which is pretty slow by todayā€™s standard.

Your pictures are so good they donā€™t need to be huge. Very clear and they show the details.

6 Likes

4 Likes

Either worksā€¦Those pics are so clear it doesnt matter imo

6 Likes

Gotta agree with Sparky here. Some forums it wonā€™t matter as they shrink it for you. Some places like reddit, if your hosting off of Imgur or another photo hosting site those with bad internet connections will load really slow with large files.

4 Likes

Donā€™t know I prefer larger images but the most important thing is the resā€¦ those are very clear to me too.

5 Likes

@SessionDrummer I didnā€™t see much difference except the large took a few seconds to load and the small was nearly instant. I only use my galaxy s8 on here, very rarely my laptop

4 Likes

Thank you @Plunderdrum. Maybe I should run a more, ummm, accurate poll about WHAT people use to view ELR. I use my laptops for work, all day, and night, so for me, itā€™s easier. Iā€™ll use the phones in a pinch, but itā€™s more native to me for laptoping.

7 Likes

I doubt phone will win, but I think it will have a very strong showing.

Desktop PC / Mac
Tablet
Phone
Laptop
Chromebook (because itā€™s no laptop! lol)

Did I miss any?

PS: Iā€™d give it its own thread and do a link back to your post above. :wink:

3 Likes

I appreciate the extra clarity of the more pixel dense shots. I shoot only in uncompressed raw and only reduce pixel density if included in a video that mandates it or uploading to a site with a limit in size. Iā€™ve taken to shooting video in 4K even if I render at 1080 just to have the cropping flexibility in post.

4 Likes

With my internet provider here, I definitely pick smaller for much faster load.

4 Likes

I am using an iPad and the larger picture loaded as fast as the smaller one and the clarity was practically the same too so Iā€™m voting for larger also my eyesight isnā€™t what it used to be so every little helps.

3 Likes