Does anybody here grow their own tobacco?

Continuing the discussion from First attempt NET:

5 Likes

Does anybody here grow their own tobacco and if so, any recommendations for a couple good varieties for NETs?
I’m looking at http://www.virginiatobaccoseeds.com/en/6-tobacco-seeds but wouldn’t have a clue which ones to get.

4 Likes

See Nelson Groome’s exhaustively detailed (quoted) comments describing “ins and outs”, here.

3 Likes

I would… but don’t have the sunlight around my place to feed the plant what it needs on a daily basis.

4 Likes

The sunlight, the drying house, and other recommended sources for curing of the tobacco would be the things I would research. All tobacco leaves need a certain type of climate for drying. I know this for cigars.

7 Likes

Seed Source:

6 Likes

I remember my grandfather telling me about how he grew his own tobacco during the wars. I’ve seen videos of people growing it in the UK and NL. So I know it can be done and the question was more about which tobacco’s are good for NET creation.

4 Likes

I did some digging a while back… I’ll see if I can drag up some of the info or sites which discuss this topic. :wink:

5 Likes

Thank you, much appreciated :hugs:

3 Likes

Here’s a little reading material! :wink:

https://www.seedman.com/TobaccoQA.htm

If I were taking a stab at growing my own, I’d be starting with a Burley; nutty/hearty flavor. :yum:

5 Likes

I have grown some and don’t have a lot of sun either. Someone just gave me some seeds and I haven’t got a clue what type it was.

All I know is that you have to put the seeds on top of the soil, not in it.

Growing tobacco is not that hard, drying and curing is considerably harder and time-consuming.
I’ve seen cigars from tobacco leaves that were cured between 5 and 30 years.
30 would be better I’m sure, but I don’t have that kind of time left :grin:

So I ended up looking at the pretty flowers they produced and left it at that.

4 Likes

No doubt about that, aging or curing takes a lot of time with everything but I’m not trying to win a competition for the very best, just the satisfaction of doing it myself and still being able to say I’m happy with what I’ve done.
If you can grow tomatoes, you can grow tobacco, it’s not rocket science. They sell seeds in Belgium to keep plants as natural pesticides to put in between your veggies in the yard but I’m not sure they’re good for tasty NETs.

Even though I smoked for about 25 years, I don’t know much about tobacco. I can recognize a cigar tobacco by smell, pipe tobacco and commercial cigarette or RYO tobacco, but I wouldn’t be able to say “This is a Virginia and that’s a Burley”.
Well… maybe I can now, for those 2 since I have the concentrates but that’s really as far as my knowledge goes. Hence the reason for my question… which tobacco types should be good for NET creations. I guess I’m more for traditional cigarette tobaccos than pipe and cigar flavors.
And before I start picking types of tobaccos, would there be any change in difficulty to create a NET from different types of tobacco or is it a pretty similar process no matter which one you pick?

3 Likes

(Perhaps) “famous first words” ? An in-numerable array of variables (from seed to vape) await one.
:grinning:

1 Like

I wish I could take that honor but sadly…

3 Likes

Did you collect the seeds after they self pollinated?

Each successive generation will be better adapted to your backyard and grow, better over the years.

2 Likes

yes sir I did.

3 Likes

Brave meid.

Be a good idea to just plant some every year anyway: for the seeds to genetically adapt to your location and soil one generation after another.

I grew tobacco years ago in my yard just for the novelty, and was dumbfounded by how godamn sticky the leaves were and just how many bugs ended up stuck on them.

In the end, I did actually use them: boiled them down then added cocoa and honey to the evaporated nicotine-filled liquid to make some shit called chimo.

Was nice, but didn’t last long since it was a chocolate and honey paste that tasted nice and I never stopped smoking while stuffing that shit under my tongue so I never really knew how strong it is.

I did find out that the species you want is Nicotiana rustica if you’re looking for strength: N.rustica containing the highest % of nicotine of all the tobacco species.

That was 15 years ago though: there could be hybrids around that have twice the nicotine of N.rustica nowadays shrug

2 Likes

I have no idea what I’ve got, someone brought seeds over from Morocco.

1 Like

I grow my own tobacco however for the flowers not the tobacco as the flowers have an amazing scent.
My neighbor got the seed from a farmer in the area (Southern Germany) which cultivates tobacco for Shisha and also sells dried/cured tobacco without any additives.

Why not sources a tobacco farmer and see if you can purchase cured unprocessed tobacco.

3 Likes