Does ELR need some necessary changes?

As for the slow loading times, it’s something I’m monitoring. I’ve had a lot of attacks on the site - some doing …something and others scraping information off the site. I usually am able to block them.

In the near future I will be replacing the normal search function with something more effective - that should see a boost in site performance.

If the site gets even more popular than it is (and it looks like it will) - then I will be looking to upgrade the infrastructure - to something more robust.

Well, you can “flag” recipes by contacting me - I know you said that you couldn’t find a direct line of communication, but there is the “Feedback”-form on “My recipes/favorites” - and the forum :slight_smile: And you can email info@ the domain (or lars@) :slight_smile:

As for ratings - I am going to fix it, so that you need to leave a comment - which must be X characters long - I might make a flagging option on comments/ratings though…

We rarely see this happen, though - If you do see this happening, you’re welcome to send it to me and I will investigate. I can see if it’s the same person with multiple accounts.

And hence there’s a lot less useful information there - not a lot of statistics either.

Again, if you happen to see people you suspect uses more than one account, I am happy to investigate. It rarely happens, but I do see it, and delete the offending accounts.

Saltroom is danbrochills alt account. I have removed the alt account and sent him a warning.

@SteamRoom you are not helping anything by “revenge 1-starring” either.

33 Likes

Is it too much of a security thing to have someone help on the recipe side? This site is so huge I couldn’t imagine a couple people handling all of it. I actually think a couple more mods might be of some help at times as well. Good to see ya hanging in there Lars. And a big thanks for all you have done for the community (and me personally man!).

12 Likes

I should probably consider a mod or two more, on the recipe side of things… :slight_smile: Perhaps take a clue and get the rating/comment thing fixed and a “report/flag”-thing as well… :slight_smile:

14 Likes

And repetitive flavours from the same manufacturer, please…:thumbsup:

5 Likes

Yes, that too - but the other things are like scratching your face compared to climbing Mount Everest in a swimming suit, blindfolded with both hands tied to your back :wink:

13 Likes

Understood. Completely derailing this thread, but another suggestion. I would like, not sure it would benefit anyone else, but it may do?

I like the idea of One shot concentrates, that are emerging at the moment and there ease of use. Can something be added to a recipe page you like, that would enable you to make say 10, 20 or 30ml etc of just the pure concentrate mix for that recipe if you like it (without the VG, PG or Nicotine). This then would mean you could have a good stock of the finished recipes concentrate that would just need adding at a percentage that suits your tastes and not have to keep going to the recipe and mixing it up individually every time.

Hope that makes sense and I know you will probably say you can do this already, but if so, I am not sure how to?

4 Likes

Here you go!

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

I knew there would be, I just didn’t know how to. Thanks

7 Likes

Maybe I should rename it to “Create concentrate”… :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Why not, it would make it more intuitive perhaps.

6 Likes

Create a One Shot For This would have grabbed my attention straight away, But Create A Concentrate For This would work also.

4 Likes

Now it says both one-shot and concentrate :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I’d like to add the viewpoint of a newbie. I’ve browsed some of the other sites and tbh I wasn’t impressed. As soon as I figured out it cost money I was out, not because I couldn’t afford it, but I set a budget on my start up costs and a pay to play site is not part of that budget. If elr didn’t exist, or asked for a monetary donation in order to participate at all? Well, I probably wouldn’t have started diy at all. I love the community here, and part of my next flavor order budget will definitely be a monetary contribution to elr but those other sites that demand it, will never get anything from me.

19 Likes

Time for some Skullblade bluntness:

1.) A site or community is what you make make of it. If you gonna sit with your thumb up your butt and critique everything you are going to get a few people mad at ya.
2.) Are you helping people or just fucking bitching? Helping people and putting them in the right direction is good. Just handing them the recipe without handing them the tools to help themselves is bad. Are there lazy fucks out there, yes of course there are. Are there people that have no clue where to start, of course.
3.) If you throw your opinion out there, be ready for a heavy counter opinion. Don’t get your feelings hurt when someone comes over the counter with a machete with a counter argument. Respect others and they will generally respect you.
4.) Participate. Participate in discussions. One week is not enough to judge a website or community. Lurking for a year does not count either as being a part of the community. You have done fuck all for the community.
5.) Bring your knowledge to the site with the fucking understanding there are other ways to skin a cat for the same issue. Just because your tried and true way may work for you, it may not work for fucking others.

Basically what I am saying is that it takes some fucking balls to judge a site for one weeks of use. And you doing the negative reviewing as revenge is not helping in any way. So go fuck yourself. This is an amazing site and I for one have been doing this DIY for a long time, and am still learning everyday with this site.

I love the people here. I love the comradre. I love the fact I can look up a recipe or ingredient and try something new. It’s amazing. @daath don’t fucking change a thing, except for fixing issues for other people to have access.

19 Likes

Also @SteamRoom if you don’t like the site go use the other pay site. Don’t need your BULLSHIT negativity here. If you see something better, then please by all means use it, and take your negative reviewing with you.

14 Likes

IMO pay to play is a slippery slope. Every website where people are able to comment is full of trolls and negativity. If pay to play is the solution to that, my internet access would become extremely limited. It definitely defeats the purpose of fighting for net neutrality. Might as well let Verizon decide what you can see or not.
When it comes to the forum of ELR, people themselves do a hell of a lot when it comes to moderating bullies, we do not accept it and make that pretty clear to them. They either change their attitude or stop hanging around.
As for the rating of recipes and I’ve said it before, it means shit to me. I’ve tried highly rated recipes that I didn’t like at all and have tried recipes with no rating at all that I very much enjoyed.
I’m just not keen on strawberry and cannot stand cheesecake or Kentucky bourbon either and don’t get me started on Taro. :sweat_smile: Do I downrate those recipes? No, I just don’t make them after I discovered my dislike for certain ingredients. Most people will soon find out which ingredients they are partial to and will avoid recipes that contains stuff they don’t like no matter what the rating says.
People like @SteamRoom with a Youtube following might get more ratings, so will the people who publish their recipes on this forum. Not everyone does that, some people are extrovert and others are not, there’s no good or bad in that.
To cut a long story short, I look at what’s in a recipe instead of at the amount of stars next to it and it has served me well.

23 Likes

I don’t have much else to add, except - @daath - thank you Lars for all you do. You hear this a good bit but maybe not often enough. Those of us who have been with you from the start (you see that, @SteamRoom?) have seen transformations to both sides - calculator and forum - and know full well you have had sleepless nights working to fix a problem or address an issue. And the site improvements have been steady and regular - all tailored to making our experience here more rewarding. So thank you for all the unpaid work you do for us! I know damn many here who feel the same gratitude as I do.

@Skullblade789 all I have to say is - I wish you and I were neighbors!!! :slight_smile:

25 Likes

Love this ! ^ Well said :smile:

9 Likes

Ain’t that the truth. I believe he and I are long lost brothers

9 Likes

Well said @SthrnMixer @Skullblade789 @Josephine_van_Rijn.
This place is fucking awesome :facepunch:

15 Likes