Does tc mode drains battery faster?

Basically. But to be clearer, in wattage mode, there’s no additional monitoring, nor calculations being performed. So a different chip could be used (that depending on design) may or may not use less power than a more complex (and more expensive) chip that also includes circuitry that provides such monitoring and calculations functionality.

Theoretically, in an “all in one” chip, there really should be minimal difference between the two modes of operation.

However, if discrete (separate) chips are used (one for the wattage factor, one for monitoring the change in resistance, and one for the math (again this scenario of 3 chips should be rare, and is largely just to illustrate the point) then you potentially have two additional circuits that power is being supplied to, but only when TC mode is engaged. Hence a possible explanation for additional power draw.

Again, this scenario should be the exception (by this point in the hardware evolution). But I mainly wanted to clarify the concept!

I’m hoping this was a typo (tagging Suomynona), as he was primarily referring to the battery ratings aspect (at least how I read it).

The overall point though, is that cheaper chips are able to be used in wattage only mods. And there’s a variety of chips/ways/options to build a TC circuit!

Hopefully this makes things a bit clearer to follow!

4 Likes

IF TC cuts the power when temperature is reached but one continues firing would the chip then not have to monitor the temp and “pulse” the correct AMP to maintain a consistent output. Perhaps this pulsing is less energy efficient than the standard ramp up and ramp down of wattage mode. Think of your vehicle constantly revving to change lanes or what not is not fuel efficient. Turning off your car at a train is said to be more fuel effiecient but only if 30seconds or more will be spent idling…

3 Likes

@anon28032772 there is a new update for voopoo drag, i’ll download that now.

@Sprkslfly thank you for that, i’ll just vape in wattage mode. it have to be good enough for now.

2 Likes

I don’t really see what ramp up you’re talking about. TC is maintaining heat and doesn’t need a ramp up again.
You’re comparing with a car that needs accelerating and has to cope with additional aerodynamic resistance that has to be overcome. Actually, power mode is more comparable with your car because the resistance of TC wire is jumping up with the additional heat.

2 Likes

It pulses the power to maintain a set temp and in his example would require more power overall

3 Likes

Was just speculation. Doubtful that the mod is supplying “heat” to maintain heat but rather monitors the temperature of the coil by pulsing Amps

2 Likes

@mixologist13 @worm1 but all the other chipsets are doing it in better performance, don’t they? and almost all of people who use voopoo drag never experienced this (i looked everywhere, including e cigarettereview, none ever experienced this) so, faulty chip maybe?

2 Likes

Are u comparing the drag to another mod overall or just it in tc and power? the drag boasts a 25 ms fire time

2 Likes

@worm1 the fire time is correct, it is fast. it’s the wattage mode and tc mode in my mod that is a bit weird for me, because i’m losing more power in tc mode, while it should be the other way around, isn’t it?

1 Like

I am no EE but as @Sprkslfly mentioned any extra electronics that have to be used will require energy and as @mixologist13 theory pulsing would take more as well. But i cant find all these features on my mod anyway is that what they mean by mechanical? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Scroll down to the advantages of temp control. I’m not claiming these are the vaping gods who always spell out the truth, but it’s a commonly known advantage of TC that it uses less battery than regular power mode. I don’t expect you to blindly trust me, use google.

And sure, the chip is used to control the TC but the energy use of the chip compared to heating your coil can really be ignored in the grand scheme of things.
Pulsing the power won’t use as much energy as a constant drain of power. If you pulse a flashlight (strobo flashlight), the battery will last you much longer than leaving it on all the time as well. The same can be said for pulsing power to your coil.

3 Likes

I only followed and commented since i find it interesting and am always eager to learn new things. i do find that information to useful and would make sense as well. Perhaps the drag’s technolgy is so focused into excellent tc that it is using a lot more power then prevoius devices :smiley:

3 Likes

Only some mods pulses the power, many (most?) and especially the high end TC mods simply throttles down on the power, often using a predictive algorithm. Also electricity simply doesn’t work like cars … not even electrical cars :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m inclined to agree with @anon28032772, most will probably experience less power and juice consumption in TC mode. If the opposite is the case then I will guess that it is mainly down to different vaping styles.

2 Likes

first of all check your batteries rate in Mooch’s blog… there are NO 18650 capable giving 40A CDR, (that’s for your safety )

the answer for if tc drains batteries faster or not …
first of all you haven’t given any info,…
a) what mod are you using?
b) what tank are you using?
c) are you using Manufactured wire or you’re making your own coils?
d) are you using the same wire in both cases? (ss can work in both modes)

if you answer these questions i am sure you will get an answer that will satify you :slight_smile:
the idea of TC in general works as @anon28032772 told you… TC Will cut off the power automatically when a temperature (resistance) is reached while PM keeps heating it…

though comparing different things like different wire metals, different gauge etc… using preheat or not and how much preheat are factors that can change the concept…

personally i use Ss Claptons 26/30 in both modes… i see no difference or at least any serious difference in both modes… batteries last the almost the same in both cases… but if i had to compare a 24g kanthal with a 26ga Ss or any other TC wires results could be different, if you can get what i mean… the mass of the wire, the ohms etc are factors that can change the battery life :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Pretty sure that part was me but it was purely speculation. Another thought also…if you have a buddy that vapes, swap his batteries and atomizer for yours and see if the issue still occurs. That way you can at least narrow it down.

3 Likes

I think you nailed it. With a background in IT my thoughts go straight to Processing power. It definitely takes more processing power for a mod to run in Temp mode than in wattage mode. Whether that processing power is handled by a separate chip that handles TC, or by a CPU that has to do extra calculations, it’s still more data processing required to handle TC, thus using more power. I don’t use TC so I don’t know exactly how dramatic the battery life changes, but it does make sense that battery life would be shorter in TC.

3 Likes

Alright, so i downloaded the new 1.002 version of voopoo drag update, but apparently it just shut down my mod after a few minutes of idle(? To safe batteries maybe? If anyone here using this mod also, please let me know)

i bought new batteries (sony vtc 5a. It’s a good battery according to mooch review), and i’m counting my vapes again, my mod is not as hot as it was (when i used my basen and awt pairs, my mod got a bit more than warm), and the difference in watt mode and tc mode is actually not as big as it was. In fact, if i didn’t really count it, i wouldn’t notice it. Could different batteries actually matters that way?

When i used my basen batteries pair my mod got very hot, hotter than when i used my awt pair. My friend checked in mooch table, basen batteries that i used have smaller amperage than my awt. Maybe that’s why? I still doesn’t really understand this part of vaping yet, i’ll have to learn faster.

@TorturedZen

that’s right, it was you who said that. Sorry for the mix up.

Edit : even though it doesn’t differ much now, but the tc mode still took more power than wattage mode. I’m stumped.

2 Likes

vtc5a a great allround batteries which you can use both in mech and regulated devices.
Depending on what and how you vape, you may get a bit more battery life out of a vtc6.

What wattage are you vaping on in TC and what wattage in power mode? There might be a difference there too which could explain the difference.

2 Likes

@anon28032772 I vape around 75 to 80 watts in both modes, 78-80 in watt mode and about the same in tc, but in tc the watts keeps changing, but still around there

1 Like

Yes. Absolutely.
The batteries you have now are much more able to handle the load, and as a result, are not heating up nearly as much!! Both are good signs that you’re headed in the right direction!

2 Likes