E liq calulator

like my nic 1.8 when using calculator here do I put in 1.8 or 18

1.8 mg, unless you want a nice/bad (your choice) nicotine high. :wink:

1 Like

thank you…larry

2 Likes

You’re welcome and welcome to the forum! :wink:

Don’t hesitate to ask a bazillion questions. Folks here are glad to help in any way they can! :+1:

2 Likes

Larry, what is 1.8? Is that 1.8 mg per ml? If so that’s kind of low but not so much if you’re doing sub-ohm vaping as with a RDA or high wattage device. If you’re using 18 mg per ml that’s not uncommon with people who use things like the Aspire Nautilus or Kanger Aerotank or some other atomizer around 2 ohm and 15-20 watts. I used 18 mg liquid up till about a year or so ago which is why I bring it up.

3 Likes

Oh snap, @SthrnMixer, you got a point there! I’m always thinking about people vaping at lower and lower Nic levels.

@larrythenewguy, my apologies if you’ve been vaping 18mg liquid. Then I guess you would stick 18 in the Nic level box.

2 Likes

e liquid from shop is 1.8 tastes good when I quite smokeing 2.6 use a aspire minie and others like the flavor not the smoke they say us nic 18 other co call it 1…8

1 Like

When I first started vaping I was getting 36 mg liquid. This was not altogether uncommon but at the time was the strongest nic level available. I fell off the wagon and started smoking again and when I returned to vaping I asked for 36% and the guy looked at me like I was from Jupiter. It was then I learned that (back then anyway) some places went by percent and others by mg/ml. So 36 mg/ml would equate to 3.6% and 18 mg/ml 1.8%. So if you’re using a higher ohm, low power type device then I’m thinking you may be at 18mg which would be 1.8%. If you’re sub-ohm vaping or using say above 25-30 watts then that would be too strong I think so maybe 1.8 mg/ml…which by the way is .18%.

2 Likes

I think you are buying liquids that are saying 1.8% nicotine. Is that correct? If so then you are using 18mg nicotine. 1.8mg nicotine is next to no nicotine unless using a subtank unit and doing lung hits. Sounds like you are using the nautilus mini so I’m really doubting it’s 1.8mg nicotine. Use 18 in the calculator if your bottle says 1.8%…

2 Likes

I now remember when I bought store made juice seeing notations on the bottle such as, 2.4 , 1.8 , 1.2 , .9 and .6 Nic. I found an article that explains this issue to a fine point:

Here you go this should make it much more clearer for you and me!

The strength of e-liquid is essentially how much nicotine the fluid contains in a set volume of e-liquid. We use a basic measure of milligram of nicotine per millilitre of total fluid volume (mg/ml). This is how the solutions we currently offer denote the amount of nicotine they contain. This notation was defined to compare directly e-liquid to conventional cigarettes. For example, if a cigarette package states that there is 1.8mg of nicotine in the product, it means that each cigarette provides an average delivery of 1.8mg of nicotine. Therefore a pack of 20 cigarettes provides a total delivery to the average user of 36mg of metabolised nicotine. In comparison, an e-liquid of 18mg/ml strength denotes that there is 18mg of nicotine in each milli-litre of fluid. Therefore if you were to ‘vape’ 1ml of this fluid, and you were able to absorb 100% of the nicotine, you would receive same amount of nicotine as provided by 10, 1.8mg conventional cigarettes.

However, It is important to note that current research shows nicotine uptake through vaping is not directly comparable with nicotine uptake through smoking. Importantly, cigarettes contain significantly more nicotine per cigarette than cigarette manufacturers are required to label. Cigarettes actually contain at least 10 times more nicotine per cigarette than labelled. This is due to the labelling on cigarettes reflecting the average metabolised nicotine per cigarette (referred to as the ‘yield’) NOT the actual nicotine content which is the current method of denoting e-liquid nicotine content. It is interesting to note that the body’s ability to extract nicotine from tobacco smoke (the metabolised nicotine) is significantly more efficient than extracting nicotine from electronic cigarette vapour. Importantly therefore do not be misled by the apparent comparisons between conventional cigarette and e-liquid nicotine content. Our experience tells us that a typical “20 a day” smoker will find 18mg/ml a suitable strength to start vaping. Heavy smokers sometimes find a much higher nicotine concentration is more satisfying. For occasional and light smokers 10mg/ml is a very good starting point.

More experienced users are now often referring to the percentage of nicotine in the solution. For example, each 1mg/ml of e-liquid contains by volume 0.1% nicotine i.e. 99.9 parts are diluent and flavouring mixture and only 0.1 parts of the fluid is nicotine. Using this notation, an 18mg/ml e-liquid contains 1.8% nicotine.

1 Like

I am a 40 year smoker no lung hit new to the e vapor… smoke it like a cig…just wondering about nic…and how they raid it larry

2 Likes

thank you…what I was looking for larry

1 Like

I took three hits of 18mg nic juice that my wife had (for her nautilus), on my velocity and man oh man, did I get dizzy. I usually vape at 3 to 6mg so it threw me for a loop.

1 Like

so I need to stick to 1.8 in my mixes not 18

1 Like

Larry why don’t you do this. Mix a small amount (like 10 ml) at 18 and another at 1.8. You’ll know which is right once you try them.

1 Like

I would do as @SthrnMixer instructed. you’ll notice the difference immediately and you can decide which is better. I do have to say though, if you’ve been vaping at 1.8mg for a while now, a jump to 18mg will be pretty steep. Make sure you’re sitting down. :grinning:

Maybe make (3) 5ml batches of 1.8, 6 and 18mg nic. See which you like best.

1 Like

the real question is when I buy it in the store and it says 1.8 nic and I make my self using the on line calculator on this site to get the store bought tast of 1.8 should is use 1.8 nic or 18 nic…

1 Like

That depends on what’s after the 1.8. Is it % or mg. If mg then stick with 1.8 in the calculator. If it’s percent, the 18 mg in the calculator.

1 Like

Store bought Ejuice is not made in 1.8mg. I’ll say this again, the label says 1.8% nicotine then you are using 18mg nic…

2 Likes

@larrythenewguy, @ringling owns a vape shop and mixes juices for a living; I would totally trust what he says! :wink:

2 Likes