ELR Mixing Contest II (LIVE)

How dare you lol

5 Likes

That spumoni looks off…Cherry , Pistachio and Chocolate wth is vanilla doing in there for the 3rd flavor…

The cone above is quite real. Growing up there was a ice cream chain called Cock Robbin. I remember they made a triple deck cone of cherry, pistachio, and chocolate. I must have been six to eight years old. So about 63 to 65 years ago.

4 Likes

Its italian spumoni. L&b actually is the most famous spumoni on the whole east coast. They usually have lines around the block. The vanilla in it is not like a regular vanilla. Its a cherryish flavored vanilla. Its not really ice cream either. It has a really unique texture, maybe more like a gelato or mix between nyc italian ice and ice cream. I never know how to explain ny italian ice to people from other states. I havent really seen it anywhere else except the tristate area. Its a ice but more creamy kinda more like sherbert but not really gelato

5 Likes

Italian ice here is a very fine ground flavored ice. A soft treat near the smoothness of ice cream served in a paper cup. Much like your store on hot summer nighs people line up for blocks to buy from about 20 flavors Italian ice.

5 Likes

Your in Chicago right. Sounds like you guys got the good stuff. Youd be surprised when i got to other states and they are like we got italian ice and its the plastic cup crap from the supermarket freezer

7 Likes

Aw geez, you’re making me homesick.

5 Likes

That’s the Spumoni my father brought home. A slice and very fancy looking laid out on a round paper doily. So was the Tortoni.

5 Likes

I ain’t even going there with the pizza wars. I know what kind of pizza I like best and that’s all that matters. As for the Spumoni @STR8V8PING that looks more like “fast food” Spumoni. Not saying it isn’t delicious but that’s not what my dad brought home that day. It looked more like the pic @fidalgo_vapes posted. Still, it makes me homesick to see that big sign.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Good luck to everyone! Looks like fun, going to try to participate in the next contest.

13 Likes

Nice article but it’s confusing at the end where it describes American Neopolitan ice cream of Choco, vanilla and SB but the photo underneath it is frozen sliced Terrine Spumoni which is pistachio, cherry and chocolate. That’s the one my father brought home. Spumoni was made in slightly different ways depending on where in Italy, so I’m not even going to debate it because I’m Italian-American and know shit about REAL Italia. I do believe that all Spumoni is gelato, not ice cream that we’re used to eating.

I took my visiting Italian friend to the Feast of Santa Lucia in the North End (Boston’s Italian neighborhood) and she was aghast, lol. But here’s another article on Spumoni that’s interesting, especially the pic.

What Is Spumoni?.
spumoni

6 Likes

I think I needs to get me some Pistachio (FLV)…not for Spumoni. I’ll leave that up to @fidalgo_vapes I know he’s on a mission :smiling_face:

7 Likes

Yea theres a few different spumoni. When i went to italy years ago the most common around was spumoni gelato mor like l&b but i did have the terrine style from a pastry shop. It was a frozen like foamed milk with the pitacios choco and cherries in it. The neopolitan ice cream looking spumoni is def americanized spumoni. All 3 are good though although i still prefer l&b because i never been the biggest fan of mixing things with hard and soft texture together. Lb has the full sumoni taste without the hard textures although it does have some cherry bits in it.

6 Likes

Should rather ask Nomz that they order Pistachio SC Nomz. Best pistachio. (they brought back all good flavors except this one).

7 Likes

This is a good Pistachio ice cream with real pistachio , i hate getting a pistachio Ice cream and almonds are the nuts

9 Likes

Thanks for the tip.

5 Likes

Has the winner been announced yet?

5 Likes

May 1st…buddy

4 Likes

Thanks mate

5 Likes

Do recipes still need to be private?

5 Likes