Extracts and Measuring by Weight

Ladies and gentlemen - I’m getting concerned with the auto populated weight section on the recipe section. I have been checking a few of my extracts and it seems some extracts weigh more or less than the amount shown on the recipe formula. This site (and maybe all eliquid calculator sites) seems to show all flavoring in PG weighs the same. For instance: Strawberry (Ripe) (TFA) 2/ml = 2 Grams, Lemon 2/ml = 3 Grams. Well I can’t Imagine all extracts (in PG) weigh the exact same. There has to be more density or less density to varying concentrates. I’ve noticed the same with VG - My recipe calls for 61.6/ml of VG which should measure out to 77.68 grams. But it’s short. If I go to the amount need by grams, it’s closer to 64/ml of VG. This is concerning me regarding consistency from one mixer to the next. I know I could measure out 10/ml per extract, divide by 10 and get a true per ml weight. I was just assuming this site has already done that but now I’m thinking that’s not true.

And yes, I have calibrated my scale and have the AWS SC501-A. This could be a huge undertaking for the website but I think it’s imperative to have EXACT weight measurements for consistency.

Anyone have any info to deliver? Maybe another robust ‘By Weight’ eliquid calculator site they would recommend? I hate to leave here but I can’t have inaccurate measurements either. Help!

1 Like

When “Use manufacturer specified gravities” is checked in the “Preferences” drop down menu, the Manufacturer’s specific weight will automatically be used for weight measurements.

I’m fairly certain @daath has already added the Manufacturer specified gravity from the MSDS docs supplied by some vendors. I do trust the vendors weight measurement over my own scale.

If a MSDS is not supplied then the default weight for Concentrates is 1gm = 1 ml.

8 Likes

This was very helpful, as I was unaware of this feature. Big ups!

3 Likes

It’s worth reading the relevant section of the calculator guide.

And Botboy141’s comments on mixing by weight from years back:

"When it comes to flavors, there are a couple of thoughts/theories surrounding mixing by weight when dealing with flavors. Many people enter the specific gravity as indicated on an MSDS for every flavor that they have. I feel this is a complete waste of time. After searching hundreds of MSDS sheets for flavors, all flavors fall into a range of .93g per ml to 1.07g per ml.

“In order to achieve personal consistency for your juices though, all that is relevant is that you use the SAME value, every time for any given flavor. I simply use a value of 1. This means that whether or not my flavors actually weigh 1 gram per ml, I always pretend they do. Percentages in any given recipe of mine will always be the exact same for me, however, if I am trying to recreate someone elses recipe, or they are mixing mine, there’s a chance I’ll be off a little bit (no more than 7% which is about the margin of error most people get when mixing by volume).”

2 Likes

Correct. LorAnn, for example, doesn’t want their MSDS-documents to be downloadable, so while I got the weights from the documents, the documents themselves aren’t available for download.

4 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but surely if everyone is using 1gm = 1ml. Then it will be consistent irregardless of if the actual specific gravity is 1g/ml or not. If for example @daath uses this method for a recipe and I want to try it out, but I use manufacturers specified gravity and there’s a slight difference, then what I make won’t be exactly the same. I don’t see how changing it will make the slightest bit of difference to how a final recipe tastes. To my mind it would lead to more inconsistency as some will use 1mg = 1ml and others will use actual specified gravity. I hope that made sense, it does in my head lol

3 Likes

I would go with whatever method you feel the most confident with. The biggest risk I see here is worry. My perspective goes back to an electronics professor I studied under. We would do the math and come up with answers with 5 or 6 significant digits. His response, "Don’t pick the white stuff, chicken shit is chicken shit. I use the weight of the suspension liquid, ie, pg or vg for flavors. 120ml batches come out well within the tolerance of my ability to drip in the correct weight, the tolerance of my scale and the tolerance of the manufacturing process.

3 Likes

Pure Glycerol really is 1.261 g/cm3, so check for the datasheet of your VG bottle ingredients. Possibly it’s diluted with 10-15% distilled water?

1 Like

You are correct.

However, if anyone is so OCD as to need specific gravity for all the hundreds of flavors in the ELR database - absolute and correct - then I say buy every flavor, weigh each one yourself, then submit a spreadsheet for it to be entered.

Any takers? I know I ain’t doing it! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Well if you think you can find a better site than this one (and I doubt you can) then go find it. We will still be here when you come back.

1 Like

Thank you for the confirmation. I’ve been told not to be so sarcastic all the time, so I’m glad you were able to take up the slack lol

2 Likes

Good luck with that. You are expecting every mixer world wide to create their recipes using the same specific gravity of every ingredient. I agree with the issue, achieving accuracy replicating a recipe, whether by volume or weight, is near impossible unless the recipe creator tells you their process. When they decided to use 5% of a flavor, did they measure that out by weight or volume? If by weight, what specific gravity did they use? The manufacturer’s listed weight, or did they measure it themselves. And, of course, what was the temperature of the liquid at that time as it can affect the specific gravity. I use the basic specific gravity for vg , pg, and nic, but the simple 1 ml = 1 g for flavors. That also means that on a particular flavor, I am actually using 1.57% less of that flavor than what the recipe says to use. If you don’t like the results, adjust it to suit yourself.
I don’t know what you mean by another robust ‘By Weight’ eliquid calculator. Math is math, it is the data that is used that makes the difference. If you have an issue with the specific gravity listed in the elr calculator, you can do your own research and enter those values in your ‘my flavor stash’.

4 Likes

Are you saying that if you’re making a 100ml bottle of liquid and the recipe calls for 5%, when you measure the extract by weight (5g) it’s really only 3.43/ml instead of 5ml?

Oh you bet! I have a PhD in sarcasm and trite commentary. Really, I’m just brutally honest and unapologetic about it, and blaming my age on the whole attitude :slight_smile:

Then again - the folks with the complaints either don’t realize the enormity of the task of getting SG for every single flavor in the database, or they do realize it and they’re simply too damn demanding. Hence the “do it yourself” statement. Come on OCD people, get er done!

3 Likes

And for some of you getting defensive, I’m not bashing or discrediting anything on here on this site - I just needed some light to be shed on the subject and Pro_Vapes did just that with this.

Thank you

1 Like

I agree - great info! However some of the natives seem to be getting a little worked up… lol

Actually if this work wasn’t already done, then we wouldn’t need it, but a lot of it has been done just fortifying the fact that it may be necessary. and Pro_Vapes answered the question. As well as daath confirming the fact.

daath, is there something that confirms if a certain flavor has been entered into the database? Or that particular extracts in my recipe are using MSDS measurements/data while some are not using MSDS and have been converted to default 1/ml = 1/g?

Go to the flavor details page. Just above the statistis, there will be a line with “Manufacturer specified gravity”, like so:

2 Likes

Thanks!

And if it doesn’t have this, “Manufacturer specified gravity”, then there is no data for that particular flavoring I take it?