Fail mixer curse?

I think we have all had the “wow this is such a great idea, these flavors couldn’t go better together”. Then we mix it up and sit there scratching our head thinking where did I go wrong. It takes time and practice. You need to learn about “your” own personal likes and dislikes when it comes to flavors. Not only what flavor but what brand of that flavor. We are all individuals and all of us have personal tastes. Just keep at it and it will come about. Don’t be afraid to try other brands of flavors and bases. Most importantly listen to the guru’s here I’ve learned so much here.

4 Likes

Very helpful I’ll definitey be using a lot of these tips in practice.

2 Likes

And I thought I as the only one :open_mouth: The second is CAP Sugar Cookie why people love these two flavors eludes me.

Anything “custard” seems eggy almost to the point of scrambled eggs to me. I like a lot of the creams and ice creams. Just have never been able to go with the custard flavors.

1 Like

I’ve been testing all my creams looking for a compliment to INW Creme Brûlée. Do you like blueberry? If so what ones or combinations?

here is my flavor stash

1 Like

TPA Wild Blueberry is the best Blueberry I’ve had. You might try Flavorah Boysenberry. It’s just amazing.

@Bogey_Again Is that a flavor stash or inventory list from a vape company. lmao
I thought I was getting out of hand when I topped 60 flavors, but holy shit that’s some list.

1 Like

Try this,

This works well for me in my mixes.
However,I have never used any nicotine sold by Liquid Barn so I don’t know if that may have any negative factor on your mix assuming that is what you mixed in the starter kit you bought from there.

Well… I have been spending my money on flavors and not equipment. I don’t really know what I’m doing yet but it’s coming along slowly. Before DIY I considered myself a flavor chaser always looking for something different to vape. Now I feel like I can cover most flavor profiles… wait. Fall is here and soon winter. I’m going to start looking for some ginger, cardamom and other spices. LOL

1 Like

https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-152-spices-and-floral.aspx
Here’s a link to the Floral and Spice section at flavor apprentice they have some of what you are looking for

1 Like

I ain’t failed yet but I MAY be CURSED. I’ve been mixing just at a year. My mixes were great then I found DIYORDIE. LMAO, But in the real His website took my mixing to the next level. About a month ago I was testing some mixes I did and all my mixes were muted. So first thought was strawberry ripe finally went bad cause it was a year old and went almost all my mixes. So I checked them all and all were muted. Not just a little. I was watching DIY video on youtube. Wanye was talking about tasting all your stuff and so I did… And the vg I just got sept 1stish was sweet and not normal that’s vg sweet. I hope that’s not the vg nude nicotine sends to everyone. That being said. it does work with 5050 6040 7030 mixes but no max vg. and I got to have max vg or I start having rashes. So does anyone have vg vendor suggestions? Better than esstinal depot and good at max vg ?

More often than not it’s the flavorings themselves and not the mixer. I realized when I first started out that not all flavors are created equal and I won’t go into what brands are good, bad, etc (You can do a quick search for that) but I will say, sadly, that liquid Barn’s flavors are crap. Their creams/custards are good but when I was reviewing all their flavors, I didn’t find any fruits or non-cream flavors that were even remotely good. I realize taste is subjective but I don’t think that’s the case here.
I hate to rain on LB’s parade but I am willing to bet that they are your problem. I would keep all their creams and custards, then start looking at other companies for your fruits and such.

3 Likes

Im new in mixing also good thing I haven’t mix anything bad till now. My suggestion is to keep reading and start in small batch and flavor percentage.

My strategy to this is that I start with 5ml and dont go over 10% of the total flavor for my trial mix also start with two flavor only. When I decide to which flavor to combine I smell and taste it first just to see which one has a stronger scent or flavor and I adjust from there.

for example, I planned to mix Banana Cream and Peanut Butter. Basically you will mix in 5% each to get 10% but when I taste and smell these two flavorings the banana cream have a more stronger scent and taste and the peanut butter is less so my conclusion of the percentage is to lower the stronger one and increase the other.

Peanut Butter @ 6 - 7%
Banana Cream @ 3 - 4%

Mix, try and adjust from there.

edit: one more thing if it doesn’t taste good at first let it steep atleast a day and taste it again if it still doesn’t taste good let it steep more.

Hey guys,

Its been a while since I started this thread and I’ve made many good flavors since. My original idea of mixing was to combine any flavors that sounded good together in ratios that “sounded” good until I was at 10-15% total flavor. My results at first weren’t absolutely the worst but I’m a flavor junkie and anything below deliciousness is garbage, IMO. Interesting to hear multiple recent commenters say “they’ve never created a bad flavor” and honestly a little hard to believe. But whatever.

Also, turns out I also had some bad nicotine from Liquid Barn. (fyi they replaced it and the second bottle was crap too. Only order from MFS now in glass bottles).

I’ve since gotten to know all of my flavors in depth thanks to the resources here and am now mixing confidently with every flavor I own and creating some real amazing juice. Just wanted to thank everyone foe their input and that I seriously appreciate everyone who contributes to this website. It really is a powerful tool to get %ages and notes on every flavor out there to defer to before mixing.

Cheers!
Nightmare_Mode

5 Likes

Congrats on getting things back on track!

You might also consider trying Nic Select. Great non flavored nic with light to no throat hit, and I strongly recommend @Nicotine_River for their customer service as well as pricing!

I also have to agree with the idea that everyone has to have a bad mix now and then. Lol
Especially as you learn new flavors and vendors.

Thanks for updating your situation and sharing your experience!

2 Likes

This idea may sound tedious and may not work for everyone, but for me and many others it has helped, try all of your flavors as singles starting at the lower end of the flavor notes. Increase by 1% at a time if needed and keep detailed notes on how it tastes at every step. This way you have an idea how strong a flavor is and what it tastes like when it’s getting too strong. The biggest mistake I made in my first week was finding a flavor was really nice at 4% but really too weak so I tried it at 8% and then it tasted like fabric softener. :scream: Really, what this flavor needed was accent and complimentary flavors to play with. If this disaster had happened with a mix, I would have no idea which flavor was the problem or if it was a clash between two of them. Best wishes! I’m still learning all of this too. :smile:

3 Likes

I imagine interpretation of bad can differ from person to person. I don’t consider mediocre as being bad. It may not be great, or it may be quite bland, but if it is vapeable then I can see people considering this not bad. Personally, in the approximate 3 years I have been blending I have blended only one recipe that I considered bad, or let’s say unvapeable. Sad thing is it did not start out bad. I created a lemon tea that was to die for HOWEVER, steep it for a week and the tea became extremely strong and ruined the mix. The taste of it I will have to admit, was bad, real bad. When I create recipes I do seem to be blessed with a little natural talent. When I’m shooting for a certain something I usually hit it within 1-3 tries and never is any of the attempts what I would consider bad, or unvapeable. This says to me that others could just as easily stay out of the bad definition. Especially if they watch flavor pairing. Those who blend fruit flavors or creams probably have to try hard to mix what I consider a bad recipe. Keep in mind, I’m a picky son-of-a-gun and my finished product will be quite good. I just consider bad to be unvapeable…

3 Likes

I agree with you there all the flavors i use now are from capella, FA, tfa, lorann, etc and i haven’t touched the liquid barn stuff since. They just take up space in my box.

2 Likes

Nicotine River VG is as good as it gets for me. but then again I have never had a problem with ED’s either

You have to remember that some flavors contain Alcohol and those will typically have a stronger odor than some of the others as you are smelling evaporating alcohol carrying the scent/flavor

1 Like