Favorite quotes

“ Is what I have to say, necessary, is it kind?”
I’m paraphrasing here but there is a quote along this line by someone somewhere I heard a long time ago and I thought based on the climate on a few of the threads here, it appropriate.

9 Likes

I think you are trying to quote Bernard Meltzer. It is certainly not old by my standards but I doubt you’re quoting the early Buddhist sutras.

“Before you speak ask yourself if what you are going to say is true, is kind, is necessary, is helpful. If the answer is no, maybe what you are about to say should be left unsaid.” - Bernard Meltzer

10 Likes

That’s the quote and thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

No problem: It’s always nice to see a random detail in my head finding its rightful home.

6 Likes

“Tapping melons with your knuckles is a good way of making your selection in the store, but apparently it’s frowned upon at the strip club.” — Brad Wilkerson.

9 Likes

Indeed, try before you buy has a rather limited application when it comes to common life events.

4 Likes

As the Hedgehog of time reminds me of the lawnmower of doom. I thought this Monday needed a bit of the Humpth himself with all being well-quoted instructions.

Luckily, I had the chance to watch one of his final recordings (as an audience we did all we could to ruin the attempted correction that Manchester was in the North West, and not the North East) and I was able to thank him for the accomplishment of moving from satirical jazz musician to deadpan surreal master.

Edit: Some may see his impact on my dry and droll sense of humour.

5 Likes

9 Likes

A similar concept makes chatting to many a challenge for me:

11 Likes

Blocked in my country based on copyright grounds.

6 Likes

Not one of my favorite quotes, but still one that shouldn’t be forgotten.

5 Likes

Ew, just plain ew! “…we need to monitor what’s happening under their skin”. Fuck off! The only monitoring I would allow under my skin would be a pacemaker to keep me alive. Now I’m wondering if you can even trust that? Who knows what these fuckers are up to? I don’t usually cuss so much but this subject sets my hair on fire.

6 Likes

Oh dear. Try searching ‘ISIHAC’ or ‘I’m Sorry I haven’t a Clue’.

It’s is a mighty British institution, like Just a Minute: It is also a game I used to help non-native students improve their vocabulary and confidence with it’s four simple rules: Speak on the subject on the card for one minute; without hesitation, repetition, or deviation. The rules, over the years, have become very technical on what each rule means.

7 Likes

Borat You Will Never Get This GIF - Borat You Will Never Get This -  Discover & Share GIFs

4 Likes

I don’t need a friend who changes when I change and who nods when I nod; my shadow does that much better.
PLUTARCH

8 Likes

9 Likes

Hmm, that’s an interesting concept/statement. I need to sit with that a minute. Am I willing to accept being offended by someone else’s freedom of expression and do I have the courage to offend with my own expression? I’m always thinking in terms of being tactful and diplomatic but I suppose no amount of diplomacy can spare some people from offense…the easily offended.

7 Likes

And there’s my quote for the day.

8 Likes

It would be more impressive with his current Airwolf look.

Although, I think a prize should be awarded to those who managed to read one of his books from cover to cover without being left in a state of rage: I dissected the florid drivel which is The Satanic Verses for my dissertation on blasphemy and found the experience equal to penial surgery without anaesthetic.

8 Likes

No kidding? I never read Rushdie, so wouldn’t know.

3 Likes