Favorite quotes

Don’t. It is a frustrating exercise and there are so many other glorious works. I could suggest 30 Terry Pratchett ones to start with and you will struggle to put them down.

4 Likes

Okay, recommend. I see the series should stay in order as written?

2 Likes

Well Small Gods (which I mentioned here over a year ago) and Mort are the best 2 to start with.

Small Gods is about an initiate monk having a turtle, who is his god, taking to him. It then goes on to explore how religion damages faith and the god as a result.

Mort is about Death taking on an apprentice in order to be a partner for his ‘daughter’. As Death is a key character in the Discworld (so much so that Terry’s death was tweeted as a conversation with him) It is sensible to get to know him first.

After that, it would be going through the nightwatch books: they cover a key city in this world and a number of important characters. The next stage would be going through the witch works.

3 Likes

Thank you. How is the Maurice with the educated rodents book? I got addicted to Rita Mae Brown’s Mrs. Murphy series where her animals spoke among themselves helping to solve murders. This happened to me after going through all the Christie novels :rofl:

3 Likes

It is a great British kids book which is light on the dark tones: Like the darkness you’d expect from a Roald Dahl work

3 Likes

‘The only shaver which shaves both the heavy beard and the hidden beard in absolute comfort’

Remington sponsorships June - November 1957.

Well it’s early to openly not beat around the bush.

5 Likes

Happiness is to be found within your own life, in your thoughts at this very moment. You yourself are most noble and precious. You have no need to be envious of anyone or to long for far-off things.

10 Likes

No quote needed.

4 Likes

Nice @mikser.

2 Likes

How to survive the coming ice age? Even though some of our ancestors managed to carry on, somehow I doubt that today’s spoiled and out of touch with nature modern humans could survive.

And when are people going to differentiate between the earth’s natural rhythms of climate change and human pollution? They’re two completely different things not to be confused with each other.

I do love the juxtaposition of your “quote” :+1:

5 Likes

I just have pockets which try to frame me when searched.

SquirrelSmash

5 Likes

I didn’t know that I was that quotable.

4 Likes

I better add the words of another:

“If you don’t turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else’s story.”

Terry Pratchett.

6 Likes

Now you do!

2 Likes

Then I’ll need to add it to my 'mindfulness and other bullshit.

Maybe another inspired individual can guide me:

4 Likes

Good title for an autobiography

5 Likes

I’d probably go for ‘I think he might have gone’.

5 Likes

Ok, then I’ll steal the first one from you.

4 Likes

How would you define ‘the first one’?

If it is my older sister - I’d have no objections to you flaying her.

7 Likes

‘A ginger nut is not just a biscuit: it could be a tentative testicle’

David Mitchell.

7 Likes