FB and Whatapp down

Time to remember centralized services just need a broken dns entry to fail. Or less.

7 Likes
7 Likes

Wow, walking alone in a bad neighborhood at night now seems preferable to being online

8 Likes

That explains why I got a call, yesterday, from a mediation agency located in Wisconsin, (I live near OKC) claiming they had a court case for collections against me about a $1,400 cash advance loan that I didn’t take out! They had all my info, too. Physical address in OK, the fact that my DL is from another state and WHICH state, social security number, what bank I use and type of account, the works.

Scam!

Guy was rude AF too. I kept trying to tell him it was BS and there was no way it was me. My credit is so bad my own bank won’t even give me a $100 personal loan. He kept telling me I could either take the information down or deal with the court case.

Scam!

He also claimed that they have “attempted to send several certified letters that were rejected or returned undelivered.” Since I am a stay-at-home mom who rarely leaves the house AND I’m nearly ALWAYS home when the mail is delivered and have not once had a certified piece of mail delivered or offered to me in years, I seriously doubt it is a legitimate complaint.

Scam!

At the end of the “information” he asked if I wanted to pay or dispute. I said “oh, I can talk now?” :face_with_raised_eyebrow: and told him I was going to dispute. He said to wait for the court notice in the mail. :rofl: I still took down the information. Then I did my research.

Scam!

I called my bank, the lenders they claimed I took the loan out with, the county court house, etc. All said they had no record of anything of the sort on file. The court house said the “case number” they gave me did not match the format they use for case numbers.

Scam scam scam!

7 Likes

I’m sure the hack will cause an influx of spam calls…uhhh. Among other things. :frowning_face:

Reminds me of a call I received awhile back. Scammer claimed to be a local police officer. He told me I failed to appear for jury duty selection and was scheduled to appear before Judge ****** on so and so a date and facing possible jail time. Unless of course I pay “the fine” today and make it all go away.

He got the judge’s name and county he presides in correct. He did his homework at least. He spoke with a very stern voice but he made one huge mistake. He spoke with a very heavy southern drawl. No one in Nebraska talks like that. I asked him again where he’s from??? :smirk:

Moral of this story is… scammers shouldn’t use Larry the Cable Guy to learn our regional speaking dialect. ( Larry is from NE and fakes the accent ) Yeah I just outed LTCG.

6 Likes

Oh yeah! He was very stern. :angry: He sounded very lecture-y and sort of bored but disappointed, sort of like a typical court worker. He sounded like a pretty talented vocal actor that did his studying, TBH.

It was very convincing… except for the fact that the caller ID showed Wisconsin… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

6 Likes

Yeah I reported the call to authorities. She laughed when I told how the guy used a fake accent to target Nebraskans.She said that failure to appear was a new one to her and thanked me for calling. If enough people call in to report it, here they will put out some kind of warning to others to be aware. I hate to think how many others paid that guy. :rage:

Report telephone scams online to the Federal Trade Commission. You can also call 1-877-382-4357 (TTY: 1-866-653-4261). The FTC is the primary government agency that collects scam complaints. Report all robocalls and unwanted telemarketing calls to the Do Not Call Registry.

4 Likes

Good idea. I didn’t know where to report it.

4 Likes

Does anyone know the # to report these calls in Canada? I’ve been getting alot also. N short of changing my # I’d like to go a different route.

3 Likes

Fraudulent or suspicious activity can be reported to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre, through its website at www.antifraudcentre.ca, or by telephone at 1-888-495-8501

You can report unwanted telemarketing calls at National DNCL or call 1-866-580-DNCL (3625)

4 Likes