Feature Request: ignore user button

I’ve long since thought that it would be a good idea to have a more functional “Ignore” system in place.

Granted, there is an ignore aspect (related to the notifications system IIRC*) but it has no bearing whatsoever on actually hiding/removing posts from view.

*I’ve only used it once in an effort to see if it had the desired effect, which it didn’t. All it did was prevent my “thread notifications” from being updated when a particular person posted a reply.
Helpful enough I guess for those who might use or rely on the email portion of this site for their interactions. But almost fully worthless for one that interacts with the site directly, and frequently.

I think it might go along ways towards maintaining the peace in our ELR atmosphere.

10 Likes

The discourse software does not support this feature and from what I understand there’s no intention of implementing it.

P.S. I’ll keep my eye on the topics over at the discourse meta involving this, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. And since that’s way outta my jurisdiction, I’m just regurgitating what I’ve read. :wink:

7 Likes

I didn’t realize I was bugging you so much Sparksy. :cry:

I will go back to my closet now. :cry:

9 Likes

Rofl. Pish-tosh.

/Wayne’sWorld: AS IF!

7 Likes

Bahaha! I never came out of the cloaet really. Not yet anyhow

6 Likes

Hehe …

3 Likes

I can help you come out big boy! Don’t worry you and my new wife @Lostmarbles can play dress up together!

5 Likes

I can give tips on how to ignore @Cutlass92. I have loads of practice!!

7 Likes

That’s bordering on criminal.
It provides a much easier way to keep the peace, as well as maintain a lower blood pressure. *sigh

4 Likes

I agree with @Sprkslfly; there is a need for the feature. I would like to see it developed!

1 Like

Sam who was a founding member of the group that writes discourse has said it will never happen.

There is a way to mute notifications from users if you do not want to be alerted. Click on your avatar top right click the cog, then notifications, right down the bottom you will see mute user.

2 Likes

testing @woftam, are u there? cant see ya! :rofl: dont see ever using it but nice to know its there

3 Likes

The reasoning given is that it takes away from the community’s need to self-moderate and self-police, which was a big feature of Discourse. They feel like if the community has a “bad apple” that the person should be weeded out and removed by the use of flags. If the “mute” function were available, people would just mute instead of flag.

And on that topic…use the flags people! :wink:

6 Likes

These flags? :british_indian_ocean_territory::burundi::puerto_rico::zimbabwe:

I couldn’t resist. But now someone can flag my post. Lol

4 Likes