Fed bans e-cigarettes in checked airline bags, citing fire threat

1 Like

FED bans people from airlines, sites possible spontaneous combustion.

I assume they’re banning all other Lithium battery devices in checked luggage too, right? RIGHT???:rage:

It says there has been 26 cases of batteries/equipment exploding in flames or whatever, how come I never heard about it? Wouldn’t you think if just 1 ecig exploded on a plane, let alone 26, it might of made the news?

I don’t know…maybe I’m wrong…I did just wake up…

1 Like

I don’t know Zig. I don’t think it’s the battery that’s the danger anyway. Honestly I don’t have a huge problem with this depending on their definition of an e-cigarette. Why? Because there are idiots who travel by air, and how dumb would that be for a plane to go down because someone had a 26650 mech mod with a dripper dry firing in their luggage and causing a major combustion? To me this one is not an attack against vaping (you can still carry on) but one that has protecting the public as a legitimate concern. But…that’s not to say it can’t and won’t be used as a way to keep banning.

As a follow up though, I think they should define an e-cigarette as a devices that is either a fixed battery or one with removable batteries that are installed. I think you should still be able to check your empty mech mods but carry on your enclosed devices and batteries.

2 Likes

This is true, this could indeed happen. Not only that someone could purposely set up their luggage to start a fire, etc with a mech mod with little effort. I imagine you can’t argue this logic. After all, they have banned things with even less potential danger than a mech mod when it comes to airplanes…

1 Like

Do you guys also see the video that is on that page? Saying a new study finds that ecigs cause lung cancer!?

I’m trying to link the video incase it is a random one…
Stand by…

As well they should! Checked bags are the Trojan Horse of air travel. I’m surprised no terrorist has yet to put something nasty on board. Why?

My last couple of flights I put my gear into a plastic handgun case. The case doesn’t have cutouts, rather just egg carton type foam in the case and lid. I would put my mods in, spaced to prevent them touching. batteries tucked all around. Charging cords, etc. I can only imagine what that might look like under xray, and half expected to find my suitcase lock missing and contents obviously rifled through. Nope, nothing. In my opinion a HUGE gaping hole in are travel security. But hey, if they start scanning now for e-cigarettes then by extension they’ll see potential other hazards that previously would go unnoticed.

1 Like

Actually, it’s the same old Sh@t, Could be, could have, might be. Never do you hear will have, does have, ect. A good way to sway the public without ever admitting you are correct, of not correct…

Ok, I’m gonna use some swear words. It’s the only way I know to respond. You have been warned.

Ok, publicize the fucking study. I want to see it.
Where did they get the fucking e-liquid they studied?
What do you mean you tested them on mice? What was your fucking delivery method…tape down the fire button and throw into a cage? I’ve never seen a fucking mouse take puffs off a e-cigarette.

Whatever, I don’t need an answer Oh Wise Ones at the Today Show. This was from 9-1/2 months ago and still gained no traction. Too bad, so sad.

1 Like

But lithium batteries are hazardous. They tend to catch fire when shorted. There are already rules for Lithium-ion batteries. An empty mod and batteries packed in a battery case are actually less risky than a spare cell phone or electric razor or whatever, IMO.

1 Like

Let’s add more questions?

Is this Ecig manufactured by Big Tobacco?
If not what voltage was applied?
Did Big tobacco manufacture the juice?
Did you expose the mice to a ecig that is dry hitting?
How old is the technology you used for testing? (2007?)

Truthfully all pictures led me to believe the technology used for testing was 1: 2007 cig-a-likes made by the very companies who would add cancer causing agents just to be sure Ecigs are deemed unsafe and 2: the one vaporizer shown was I would say no less then 2-3 year old technology and we all know equipment has improved tenfold…

You’re right, or when placed under load beyond their limits for periods of time. I think you understood my point - but also a key difference to appreciate is the fact these other devices, while clearly capable of malfunctioning, are not designed to produce heat as e-cigs do…it’s their sole purpose. So the potential for risk is far greater with e-cigs as opposed to an iPhone or Norelco. But if they required all battery operated devices to be carried on that contain batteries, I still wouldn’t have a problem with it. It’s not an infringement on freedom or liberty and actually more along the lines of protecting the public. Unlike molesting children and the elderly with their invasive “pat down” techniques.

http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/uploads/default/original/2X/2/214037ca134889d7fcaba45bfbd2d321d30a1ceb.jpg
Very True !!! Here’s what a cellphone can do…

Oh I’m right there with ya guys! It’s just another way of throwing info out there without solid proof to stir the pot and sway the public!
I just can’t believe I never saw this one, being almost a year old

Found it I think…

Yes, that appears to be the study. Sounds like it. Here’s the equipment used. notice they used a Vision Spinner which is capable of being turned high enough to burn the old coils of a couple years back. They do not tell us what voltage setting it was on and I’m willing to bet it was full blast…

Two ENDS devices were used. First, a refillable pen style ENDS (eGo
Vision Spinner battery, China) and compatible clearomizer chamber
(Anyvape, China) with 2.2 ohm heating element was purchased from local
retailers. The clearomizer chamber can be easily filled with e-liquid of choice
allowing liquid to continuously absorb into heating element wick.
Refillable e-liquids (Table 1) for use with refillable ENDS were purchased from various local
retailers. Second, is the Blu e-cigs where the cartomizer is
manufactured to be disposable when the pre-loaded e-liquid is exhausted.
The Blu e-cigs and disposable cartomizer cartridges were purchased from
local retailers.

Look what I found within the study…

One of the sources of OX/ROS appears to be the heating element since
there is an increase in OX/ROS when the heating element is activated
without e-liquid filled into the clearomizer chamber…DUH

In this case, air is drawn through the
device by the pump as the ENDS device is activated, however, there was
no visible sign of aerosol being produced. From this data, we conclude
it is possible to generate OX/ROS from ENDS independent of e-liquid
vaporization.OX/ROS detection in ENDS aerosols overall
yielded a rather broad range of measurements for DCF fluorescence
including what we defined as “high range” values. Attaining a high range
value measurement required a 1:10 dilution in pristine DCFH solution to
extrapolate their final values. High range aerosol-DCF fluorescence
values, including the values for OX/ROS detected in ambient air flow
from activating the heating element without e-liquids, were partitioned
and compiled together…DUH AGAIN

As per usual fact based on most likely flawed testing…

Most airlines already had this rule. It’s because some careless idiots checked their mod with a battery in it and it fired in their luggage causing a fire in the cargo hold. You can still bring e-cigs aboard in your carry-on bags or in your pocket. Dumb laws are the result of even dumber people who make these dumb laws necessary. I believe you can still check a mod if the batteries are removed and stored separately, or at least you could the last time I flew 2 months ago.

I have some background in the air freight, and air charter biz. On most commercial passenger flights, in with the checked baggage, you’ll also find air freight. I do know that lithium batteries, are considered hazardous material, or hazmat, and are not allowed to be transported, as air freight, on commercial passenger flights.

A lot of the commercial airfreight is material for the automotive manufacturing industry. Even a small carton of those keyless entry fobs, that unlock your car doors, cannot be moved airfreight, because of the lithium button cells in them.

A form of the subject rule, has been in place for some time. The key words are checked baggage. Batteries are considered hazmat, in the luggage compartment of commercial passenger flights. Do people leave a cell phone, or ipod, in their luggage, from time to time, sure, and it slides by. Same thing with the passengers. Everyone has a lithium device on them, and it’s allowed.

This is only my guesstimate as to why it’s allowed in the cabin, but not in the belly (luggage hold). This is nothing official. Just me trying to think like the aviation business. Fire suppression. They have fire extinguishers, and people trained to use them in the cabin. I don’t believe there are fire suppression systems in the belly.

If an iphone lithium goes berserk, and catches fire in someone’s pocket, the aircraft isn’t going to catch on fire. If there’s a fire in the luggage pits, they have a serious problem.

Take it for what it’s worth.

OK, so what we can gather from all these comments is that the batteries were already banned from air fights in the cargo hold. Basically they are making a big deal out of it to again give Ecigs a bad name. Does this sounds about right?