Finding a good scale in Europe

I’ve read a lot trying to find the best scale for mixing and as I understand the AMERICAN WEIGH SCALES LB-501 is the number one to use.

Sadly the AMERICAN WEIGH SCALES are not available on amazon.de or amazon.co.uk

I purchased the TRITON T3 bit it has the same issue as every other f****ing scale I’ve tried. Once you keep something on it for 30 seconds you see the weight slowly go down tick by tick so something that was 5 grams is soon 4.90

I just want a good scale without having to pay more than €50-€60 I gave €35 for the T3 having read some using it for mixing but It’s not as good as I hoped. (+ f**k the 200g cal weight… I only have 100g weight)

You guys in the US have SO many options :angry: :cry:

I know there are a lot of scale threads but I wanted to focus on Europe with easy shipping inside EU.

4 Likes

If you have your mind set on an LBS-501, just buy one and pay for the additional shipping costs.
It may be a little troublesome to find sellers to ship to Sweden but there are options for it. Either ask an ELR member that can help or use a mail forwarding company (package is delivered to US address, then shipped to Sweden by the forwarding co).

Cheap scales are always going to have little issues like that and I’m not sure that LB-501 is going to be better in this area. It’s definitely not lab grade quality and will have its issues too. Want lab grade equipment, then there’s no other option than to pay the money for it.
Cheap scales will always struggle with internal friction and cheap quality / less accurate components. It is however good enough for most of us to make our mixes with. Accuracy in mixing may be a little less important than repeatability. With that I mean that if you always do the same thing, you get the same result. Upscaling or downscaling your mixes may result in slight changes but it’s just up to you how much money it is worth.
In the end, you should be enjoying your vape and how you get to that result is not important.

Another thing I noticed is that if you get a more accurate scale, the errors that you’re dealing with become smaller. For small quantity mixing, I always use a 0.001g scale and one of the reasons is just what you pointed out.

5 Likes

The problem is shipping + import fees. I get €7 import fee + 25% VAT tax on the shipping and price of item. Makes an expensive scale in the end. And drop shipping warehouses charge tax + new shipping

I’m mixing 3-5ml for tests so it’s always a few 0.01 differences. A little offset is Np for 100ml mixing.

Did u find a good 0.001g? They usually like €150 and lab grade or less and kinda sh!tty

4 Likes

I got a 100g / 0.001g scale off amazon (either .uk or .de) for about 25€. It’s cheap, it’s plastic and it won’t stand up against a lab grade scale but it does the job more than well enough for DIY purposes.

I think you’re just putting yourself in an impossible position. You want high quality but you don’t want to pay for it… compromise and you’ll find a happy place in between.

6 Likes

Been using these for years, other users have too.
The Americans need something bigger, it seems.
I’d hate to venture why :wink: it is perfect for 10 and 30 ml

If you need more than 30ml, do flavours/nic on this one and dilutants on another one, plenty of 200x0.01g around.

6 Likes

I think I heard some good things about a scale with model number XC 501 - like these - they might even sell them where you live (there are a few in Denmark that has them)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=3&_osacat=0&_odkw=xc+501&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=xc+501+scale&_sacat=0

3 Likes

I use a Gdealer DS1 from Amazon since December and so far quite happy.
Maybe you can get a hold on that oversees.

4 Likes

But I always get problems with most scales so I need quality. Like I mentioned in the fist post they slowly tick down so something that is 20g ticks down to 19.5g happens with all scales I tried. The Triton T3 is supposed to be good. I need a scale available in Europe that doesnt have this problem

2 Likes

Have you tried a 0.001g scale already?
The other option of course, if you don’t want to spend money for quality but you require to be as precise as possible, is to leave the scales behind and go back to volumetric measuring (syringes).

2 Likes

I have a 0.01 scale that works but I don’t trust it 100% for 5ml test mixes where the aroma can be about 0.05 g. Just want to trust that it’s not showing more than 0.01 wrong

2 Likes

Use volumetric measuring, a more accurate scale (0.001g) or increase your testing volumes. Besides the accuracy of your scale, you also have to deal with the minimum size of drops that you’re working with. 5ml tests are really hard to work with no matter what equipment you have.

The average drop is about 0.02g so you’re already trying to do things beyond the average DIY mixer’s capability.

3 Likes

I just mixed 8 liquids and remembered this thread. I did the test and at no point did my scale float around. I waited 30 seconds and the weight remained stable. I blew a little on the scale and it returned to the same value too. I “tapped” on the bottle and again, it returned to the same value.

It’s the updated version of what I have but I guess it does the same thing.

3 Likes

You may want to check ebay if not in hurry. I bought very similar 0.001g scale in Nov and paid 1.44$ for it (4.43$ with shipping; from a reputable seller with 100,000+ sells; they had 500+ of these scales to sell). Doing the job perfectly. Me happy.

2 Likes

Import fee from outside EU to Sweden is €8 + 25% VAT so import is always possible but not worth it for low value and quality items. 0.001g for $4.5 is a bit worrying :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ahhh, those astronomical import fees sux totally. Zero fees for small packages (i even bought a mobile in China without any taxes or fees). The price for the scale was reduced during Black Friday (i think); the same scale is around 16$ now. Most important - it serves magnificently, so glad i picked 0.001g.

1 Like

I used an Etekcity .001g scale before purchasing the LB501. Had it for a couple of years with no issue. I don’t know if those are available where you are, but take a look on Amazon or Ebay and see if you can find one. Relatively inexpensive and should suit your needs.

1 Like