First batch steeping

Ok I have read a ton of posts on here about steeping and am getting nothing but confused.

I made my first batch from a recipe on here for 3% nicotine. So I made the batch without nice as it gets here this afternoon. I made it and stirred it to a froth with a drill and a paddle bit. Now I am leaving it in a garage in a cool dark place. My plan is to stir it every hour or so to get oxygen in it. When the nice comes I will add it and mix a few more times.

Then I will let it sit for a day or two and give it a whirl. Should I leave the cap off and let it breathe or cap it? I made 150 ml.

1 Like

There is no need to leave the cap off unless you are using flavors that contain alcohol. Even then only over night. Stirring every hour is a bit of overkill. Give a good shake daily. This is enough. Good luck with your blend, hope it turns out nice !!!

4 Likes

I used all CAP flavours… how do I tell it they contain alcohol?

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of leaving the juice totally uncovered, unless the flavoring has an alcohol content that needs to evaporate off the juice for taste purposes. Even at that, the juice sits in a closed closet to steep. There is the process of allowing fresh air to the closed bottle every day or so and giving the bottle a shake to introduce the fresh air into the juice for oxygenation purposes. Adding the Nic to the batch, before or after steeping, is up to you. Ive done it both ways and it doesn’t seem to make a difference in the outcome. :wink:

2 Likes

Read the ingredients, this will tell you…

5 Likes

Anyone who’s read my ramblings knows I’ve never made a big issue of the various stirring methods. To me it’s been time and the occasional hot bath. But I just have to say that after seeing this Magnetic mixer is awesome I feel I have to get the parts to build one, if for no other reason than the cool-as-shit factor. The thing I think is most crucial is what happens on the molecular level where molecules of the various ingredients may bond or adhere to one another. I don’t know if there is any science to back up that notion, but something happens when juices steep. And I don’t think it’s as simple as the flavors being thoroughly mixed. Part of the crew, part of the ship.

1 Like

Hi dont quote me but i am sure if you add nic you need to steep all over again.

What i do with mine (personal preference) make the mix then i have an old usb fan which i have taken the motor out and i have a ear bud on the end of the motor i connect the usb to an EE battery pack thingy then mix for about 5 mins. Put it in warm water till it cools and repeat the whisking process 4-5 times and then its good to vape

Good luck mate

I dont’ like to introduce too much air into my mixes after my initial mixing. I just use a milk frother on my new batch, cap (uncap if there’s alcohol in it) and sit it in my dark cabinet to steep. I’ll only leave the cap off once, overnight, IF there’s alcohol in the mix. Otherwise, just leave it capped and sitting… I wait… patientlly… That’s the best steeping… just leave it alone. IMHO

5 Likes

I did that when I first started to mix. Thought a recipe looked nice and made a lot. End result, I had to chuck a lot. Best to start making a small batch 10 ml or so and see if you like it. If you do you can always make more, if it sucks you don’t lose much.

2 Likes

That will probably be on my grave stone!

3 Likes

Actually quite true if you have never tasted the recipe before. I personally use 15ml bottles. That said, that’s what I mix up for testing, 15mls. Being I go to other Vape Shops to help me with testing it works out great. There’s enough for all to try and even some left to use for taste testing in the shop should it be a marketable blend. Be aware that I recommend when trying new mixes that you are not sure of to blend without nicotine. The most expensive items in your blend is the nicotine and the flavors. Obviously you must use the flavors but the nicotine can be left out and should the batch turn out badly you have only lost the money for the flavors. I am also hopeing you have tasted this blend being you made so much (or independently wealthy) cause even if 100 people tasted it and loved it, you might be the one person who thinks it sucks. As they say, taste is subjective…

4 Likes

Passers by will then think that’s what killed you and scramble to get a hold of that recipe so they can avoid it :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Got to do what works for you.
I mix it up, give it a 5 - 10 second shake maybe 4-8 times over a 2 week period.
I put all my mixes, can be up to 9 bottles of various 30 - 60ml. sizes, in a clear ziplock plastic bag and shake them all at once.
Might take the cap off once to smell each and let new O2 in.
Depending on the type of juice, usually 2 min. to 5 or so weeks for steep. Make it a point to have other mixes coming to steeping fruition during that time so I’m almost never without a new recipe to try.
All natural well proven steeping without the hassle of guessing “can I taste it yet?”. End of story. Happy mixing.

2 Likes

Side note: I’m sure you mean 3 mg nicotine, as 3% is 30 mg… :smile:

Also some recipes are more or less “shake and vape” whereas some require a few days, some even weeks of steeping…

1 Like

I made the Unicorn milk in the recipe page. Just followed it to the tee.

1 Like

Kept cap off last night and then put it on after 12 hours. Blended one more time and then let sit for 12 hours. Tried it a few minutes ago and it’s awesome! Can’t wait to see how it ages. Also bought some more flavours this morning.

Not the most creative individual so my concoctions will be limited to actual recipies. But maybe as time goes on I will beach out.

Thanks for your help guys!

3 Likes

Came out perfect guys! Thanks for the help!

6 Likes

That’s what I thought at first too. Amazing how quickly you’ll start to think in terms of “Hey, I bet that’d be good with this!” Pretty soon, you’ve got a bunch of new creations on your to-do list. Welcome to the party! :wink:

4 Likes

I am all excited now. I saw the Unicorn Milk recipe on here so I went and bought a bottle from the local vape shop. It was one of the best I have ever tried. So I immediately ordered enough flavor to make a few hundred ml. I have been without this juice now for a week and am having withdrawals! :grin:

I can’t wait to make my own and already have plans to order much larger bottles of the necessary flavors. I have my first 4 mixes steeping. One has turned out pretty good so far. A couple more days and it will be ready to vape. I can see this diy mixing hobby becoming more addicting than vaping lol!

Grats on your first mix!

2 Likes