Fix your shit before you sell it!

Thanks so much Dan for the video.
That was really helpful and has allayed my fears.
You’re funny too.

5 Likes

I actually think this goes to show you can’t believe a degreed electronic tech. As someone purportedly understanding the risks associated with electronics I’d hope that it would throw the average persons knowledge in to sharp relief for you. If I were in that situation I’d like to think that I would always advise the safest possible best practices and not leave information on a public forum that could quite feasibly cause others harm. Even if it had had a caveat of ‘do as I say and not as I do’ I still feel it’s less than responsible.

I’d like to commend Woftam on his clarity and steadfast logic, I’m not sure I’d have remained so cordial.

If in doubt, rewrap or safely recycle your batteries

11 Likes

This image (#2 in your post), then ? Right, wrapping-material (around the outer surface of the battery body) matters not - in that particular one of two possible battery configurations. I presume created by “jokers” (presumably) saving some construction effort/costs ? It surely is a dangerous idea to allow bi-directional battery installation options.

Not that interested in a “mech” vs “mod” comparison or personal druthers. I can dig the reliability of simple elegance in designs - but failing (on whoever’s part) to fashion a mechanical design(s) not allowing such dangerous battery connection configurations and conditions (to occur, period) seems rather negligent to me. Thanks for the information, then.

The battery wrapping-material situation seems (to me) then to be that:
(1) If one’s device allows such avoidable dangers (outside of the critical area around the positive battery terminal), it would be wisest not to use it all (or, never screw-up); and
(2) The always critical (rather than one could argue, essentially unnecessarily critical) portion of the battery around the positive terminal of the battery, surrounding insulator, and wrapping material on top are not to be messed with. Insulator replacement highly desirable.

I get Samsung 25Rs and 30Qs for $4-5 each. They are going to last for a few hundred charge-cycles, and be replaced, anyway. For those prices, (for me) I’m just going to dump them rather than flirt with (likely the most significant) dangers of aged battery cells. Depending (if one insists, due to hardware design) upon thin plastic battery “wrap(s)” for safety purposes seems to me to be a dubious practice. If it feels good, then by all means, do it. However (in the case of actually using safe hardware in the first place, living up to lofty goals of “safety awareness”), it seems to me more of a placebo than essential (except for around critical region at top, around the positive terminal). Obviously (it seems), a sacrosanct “sacred cow” who none dare to (even rationally) “impeach”. Try using safer gear and dumping those aging batteries before pontificating.

Man makes holy what he believes as he makes beautiful what he loves.
-Ernest Renan

2 Likes

Now that’s funny!

2 Likes

… pummeling the cell with hard, sharp objects

However, the concern is a genuine one - as if the metallic casing breaches, it may be “Katy bar the door !”. Nothing like some ultra-thin plastic to keep any such destructive urges from inviting ruinous flame-drenched carnage ! Perhaps the perfect prophylactic against the ever present threat of the proverbial “grim reaper”.

3 Likes

Great vid @Dan_the_Man and a lot of great posts above. Any of us that knows elect. theory knows about the joys of “infinite” current, dead shorts, and the fun and danger about the positive cap insulator. We ALSO know (recently all over the news) that many people are TARDS, including vaping fat/grease/oil, etc., and dying or traveling to the ER. I’m with the “safety” crew, that DISCOURAGING use of ANY/ALL torn battery wrapped batts, IS the way to go, because we got enough problems already, hehe.

GREAT conversations.

12 Likes

Hey man, you mean to tell me that my 50 gallons of Grizzly Bear Fat is gonna have to go to waste ?!? … :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Error%20Mess

1 Like

6 Likes

Well said and straight to the heart of the matter. I am firmly in the “average person” category and a venting battery scares the piss out of me. Thus the slogan “Safety First” is one I say a lot and follow to the best of my abilities. I drive my family bonkers with my safety-first attitude.

Me too bro, Me too.

Thank you, sir, and you my friend are very welcome. Though, it seems to me that I should expand my knowledge of such things. The one thing I know for sure.

6 Likes

I jus’ wish I had sum clever fancee words I culd use t’ sound all smart-like. I’s dummer then a stone. Kin y’all tell him to stop usin them hi-falutin’ 20 doller werds?

7 Likes

It ain’t not bad once you get a Thesoris :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t like Ford cars.

7 Likes

I’m an electronic idiot and only use regulated or protected mods, even I will bench any battery with nicks and/or imperfections in the wraps or shape. No way I would ever “wing” it or suggest it to anyone else.

8 Likes

I used to do that and sometimes still do. SSSHHHHHH :shushing_face:

What does FOC mean?

3 Likes

Free of charge. Nix, nada, zip, zero, nothing. :wink::wink:

8 Likes

ow my good, that’ interesting

2 Likes

Watch out for those fake Chinese rewraps make sure serial numbers are in the metal tube inside the wrap #safe-hands #safe-face

2 Likes

Oh boy. Just got caught up in this thread. Unbelievable! Please wrap your batteries. It’s cheap, easy to do and in the name of safety.
Sheesh!

4 Likes

Just make sure you buy batteries from Legit vendors and verify the serial codes that should be on the metal tube under the plastic wrap
I’ve gotten fake Samsung 30 Q
With no serial serial on the metal tube but all the Samsung codes on the wrap

You can but wraps with Sony, Samsung serial codes and QR codes pre printed witch makes it tough to known if your battery cells are Legit

2 Likes