Flavor Bottle cracked question, Golden Pinapple cap

I’ve had a bottle of golden pineapple capella in the fridge for about a month. The bottle is about a year old and today when I was going to make a pina colada recipe and pulled it out the lid of the bottle had a large crack in it. I’ve never seen this happen before and was wondering if this would affect the flavoring apart from releasing the flavor molecules making it less potent.

At first I wondered if this was similar to the ry4 double note about it sometimes causing plastic to crack.

Does this indicate that the flavor has expired or gone bad? It tastes somewhat alright.

3 Likes

I have no idea on this but sorry it happened.

3 Likes

Armchair Hypothesis: (Particularly in the fridge), the plastic used to make the lid is more brittle than the “squishier” plastic (PE?) container holding the juice, and the stress of being torqued-on hard (?) took its toll.

ELR: RY4 Double - The Flavor/Perfumer’s Apprentice. Has been reported to crack/melt plastic tanks.

Your “taste buds” seem the best (and in any event final) judge regarding operational viability.

4 Likes

Seriously, you make me laugh. Don’t take that wrong, I’m laughing WITH you.

6 Likes

I had a bunch of Concentrates come from a company in China that wanted me to review some of their stuff. About a month or two after they arived, the lids broke on every single one of them. For me, I won’t touch them now. I still haven’t thrown them out for some reason

2 Likes

The phrase “operational viability” is a bit less bloviatory than is “total command and control readiness”. :wink:

4 Likes

(Were it not for the Inquisition), the massive troves of vaping regalia held by members would (perhaps) be hilarious (to mere mortals) on that old reality-show, “Hoarders” ? Maybe on “Cloud TV” on private YouTub ?

:clown_face:

2 Likes

You’re on a roll today, but I think bloviate is the proper use of the word. Though, I could be wrong but that is highly unlikely. :grin:

see what i did there…

2 Likes

As the son of a professional Philosopher, I vehemently reserve the right to forge “original” metaphors. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Just one way to know and that’s to try it…
Storing flavors in a fridge is not really necessary. I’ve never done it and I’ve got flavors that are 3 years old that I still use.

3 Likes

I would say you just might have the right if I knew you were a son… of a gun, did you say?

I’m pretty sure you were a woman not to long ago. I’m not gonna go look for the thread… I knew you were messing with us, well that’s not true. I don’t know and now I’ll never know. :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

True. I’ve never use a fridge either and I have a couple that old too.

2 Likes

Well, I suppose that I could be, if that is what “floats your boat”, sailor. Mother Superior would like to know.

Source: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pi5iXh_6Ei0/VtxV3yFmy1I/AAAAAAAABhY/yHJMfu3auVE/s320/Hogans%2BHeroes%2Bschutlz.jpg

3 Likes

Room temps (especially ~80 *F) is perfect for those fuzzy little floating bubbly islands of yumminess ! :yum:

3 Likes

You’ve got that room temperature really nice and cozy lol
It’s more like 21C / 70F here

2 Likes

I thought that I would list the optimum temperature for fungal growth (the bacteria don’t mind it, either). :yum:

3 Likes

Then again, you have a pretty nice collection of bacteria in the average (food) fridge too :drooling_face:

3 Likes

However, various microbial critters only replicate at about ~1/2 the rate (or so) for every 10C/18F cooler ambient temperature. Microbes are indeed ubiquitous - everywhere (even on the ISS in the sky). We inhale 400-500 Aspergillus Fumigatus spores every day. Compost heaps are massive sources of this most dangerous of molds. Potentially deadly for the immune-suppressed. No joke. It’s what patients have died from at Seattle Children’s Hospital. It’s human nature to assume that we are invincible - until we’re not.

3 Likes

Looking at the growth of fuzzy green stuff on my cheese the other day, i’d say it grows pretty well in cooler temperatures

4 Likes

I would avoid dropper bottles for flavour storage. Lets the volatiles out and potentially contaminates the product itself, leaching back plasticisers or rubber compounds.
I know I am not going to be popular for saying that, HDPE and PET are likely better materials. Lab grade glass probably best, but unpractical to most.

4 Likes