Flavor muting at higher concentrations

I was just wondering about people’s thoughts on this. I’ve read quite often that using a flavor in higher concentrations actually mutes that flavor, rather than intensifying it. Does anyone know the actual reason for this? The armchair scientist in me would love to know, as it seems counter intuitive.

1 Like

There are lots of opinions on the coming for sure.
One is that too much flavoring is like drinking a gallon of sugar water. If you drink it fast you’ll get the same effect…you can’t taste the sugar.

The other popular theory is the chemical aspect…there is too much science going on for the chemicals to work the way they were intended…the molecules need space to play with each other…it’s like fitting twenty people into a phone booth and no one can move.

1 Like

I dunno if this is true, but the section “Why does palate fatigue happen?” makes sense to me, though I too thought it was the receptors in the mouth getting overloaded, and never even considered it’s the brain saying “Yeah, yeah, yeah, I’ve seen this already. I’m over it.” https://www.theroasterie.com/blog/palate-fatigue-yes-your-taste-buds-can-get-tired-too/

2 Likes