Flavor Pairing Tools - Post 'em here

Oh I know it is not that helpful on some of the more common entries but I find it very helpful for the more exotic.

Guanabana goes well with…
ANISE SEED, APPLE, BROWN SUGAR, ICE, ICE CREAM, LEMON JUICE, LIME, LIME JUICE, LIQUOR, MANGO, MARGARINE, MILK, NUTMEG, POMEGRANATE SEEDS, POWDERED SUGAR, SUGAR, TEQUILA, TRIPLE SEC, UNFLAVORED GELATIN, VANILLA EXTRACT, VANILLA ICE CREAM

Granted some of these are an easy pair some of them i wouldn’t have thought of - so more of a helper tool than anything else.

5 Likes

I feel ya @woftam… maybe it’s me but I usually like a visual reference…

Guanabana recipes <<< CHICK HERE

If I see something I like I click it to see if I have flavors… It’s just a preference… I’m a visual person.

1 Like

Oh i have the similar sort of process and tend to make a recipe from a recipe. It can just get me over a hump sometimes and is a great tool for those who have a couple of flavours that they bought on a whim and cant find a place for them.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if I can recreate this…

Kinda up my ally!

1 Like

Sounds delicious

1 Like

Apologies to anyone who was offended by my rooster & cat flavor pairing results, I meant no harm.

4 Likes

TBH I haven’t a clue how this would work as I haven’t even tasted the Guanabana, but more of the process I use…

@cooper1 I did a search, in case I had missed something. Did you ever post this technique? I understand testing drops in water, but now you bring up pairing and %s.

Is anyone testing multiple flavors in water and getting pairing taste experiences comparable to Vaping? This could blow Cloning wide open! I believe @Ken_O_Where uses like a shot glass of water and a drop, but I read @KumariHPX say he tests on drop in a 1/2 cup of water and drinks the whole thing (over time), and claims to get a more solid flavor experience/knowledge about that single flavor.

Pairing tool? Can’t think of a faster “Tool” than faux mixing multiple flavs in a half glass of water …I mean if it works. A quick test would be taking a couple familiar 3 flavor recipes you vape on the reg and mixing them in same % ratios in water. I like the Ken method of a shot glass sized test, but a larger amount of water might allow for more control (stronger flavors)

4 Likes

The old drops in water technique works well for me, but I don’t think that it’s original though. I’m pretty sure that I pinched it from someone else :wink:

Here’s a rundown. I’ll put roughly 15 ml of water in a cup and add one drop of Flavor A and have a tiny sip, then add more of flavor A or add flavor B, swirl and sip again. If it goes to seed, no worries > pour down the sink and try again until I find a combo that is pleasing. The ratios of flavors used are transferred to a juice recipe.

The post that you plucked the quote from had this recipe.

I’m pretty sure that in that little cup of water I would have added 4 drops of Big Watermelon, 2 Drops of blood orange and 2 drops of Cranberry. I was happy enough to chuck the number straight into the calculator as %. With other recipes i’ve keep the ratios but mess with the %.

I never add creams to water because they all taste like bitter foulness to me. If I want creams in the mix I’ll go with my gut and add them post water testing.

This technique does not translate to vape perfectly, but for me it is a fast way to work out what might work well together and what ratios should be used to get a desired effect. Best of all it’s so quick, easy and fun.

If you want to test this technique may I suggest that you select a recipe that you know and love and mix it in water, as described above, and have a taste. Edit - You’ve already posted that, oops.

2 Likes

For me, creams are quite difficult to taste in water.

@Sprkslfly, one drop of flavor concentrate in a full cup of water (8 oz.) is also enough for SF testing, tho it tells me nothing about strength or % to use in recipes.

As to test pairings, I love a lot of SF juices – I love simplicity – so, I have a bunch mixed at SF strength. I use those to test possible pairings when the mood strikes me.

E.g., I vape TPA Meringue SF a LOT, so on that RDA I added mixed SF Pineapple when ready for refill, on the “dirty” atomizer, to make Pineapple Mousse, plus another drop of FA Meringue for sweetness and a less cooked/toasted taste, or maybe Caramel or Brown Sugar (incredible SF, IMO) for more. All mixed at various strengths based on SF vaping. If you hit upon something you really like, you can always adjust strength in a recipe.

I’m sure others create recipes using this method.

Though, to my mind, a foolproof method is to Google the flavour + “pairing.” There’s been a ton of food pairings already discovered with rationale, too. The Flavor Bible includes that, as well.

4 Likes