Foggy Car Windows in the Winter

I know there are a few threads on foggy windows and everyone is (fairly) aware that windows are fogged after some time.

My problem is, it hits REALLY hard in the winter time, in my car. I have tried multiple types of wipes, wet and dry, as well as fog preventatives. No luck.

It doesn’t seem bad in the summer, but as soon as winter comes around it gets super bad!

Its like it becomes a gel in the cold and just moves around instead of wiping off.

Has anyone found a solid solution for this?

1 Like

I suppose climate would matter, but I’ve used these in the past:

http://www.armorall.com/products/wipes/glass-wipes

Worked to get the crap off my windshield, but I don’t think it was winter, more like early spring.

1 Like

I keep a bottle of this in the vehicle , but you still have to use a little elbow grease to get them clean.I will say that it works better imo than windex.

I have read where people use ammonia and newspaper iirc but I haven’t tried it , would love to hear what others are using though.

2 Likes

To me it sounds like you have to change the Air Filter for the internals of the car. It doesn’t have such a long life span since it clears the air from all kinds of dirt that otherwise would get into the car.
If it gets clogged up you get foggy windows in the car.
I change that filter once a year in my car.

5 Likes

defroster. medium hot and crack the drivers window. i mean dont really crack the window, just roll it down about an inch. or stop breathing

7 Likes

Forgot to add that the VG in our e liquid seems to love interior glass. You may notice a wet haze on the windshield inside and that’s VG. If you get that cleaned off best you can and run the defroster like I said, you should have a clear drive home. I always vape in the truck with the window cracked to avoid VG build up on my windshield. Hope that helped a little

3 Likes

Yep, that’s what I do. Defrost on, window cracked, and blow toward the window. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You gotta remember that it’s not just the windshield where vape settles. You just see that first. And yes it’s a bitch to clean. :But it’s also collecting on carpet, seats, dash components, just everywhere. Over time this can make for a nasty interior. When I traded my last truck in (2012 F150) is had less than 40k miles. I took it to get it detailed. The detail shop said they had a hard time getting many things clean in the crevices and asked me what the ‘oily’ substance was. Yeah, I already knew it was there, hence the $150 to get the detailing :slight_smile: So I traded for a 2015 F150 that had just 10k miles and I’ve not hit the 20k mark yet. I do very minimal vaping in my truck now. In fact I just washed the back glass inside for the first time since I traded over a year ago. It wasn’t bad at all compared to my other truck.None of the windows were bad really.

Point is I strongly suggest if you have a vehicle that may be a valuable trade in at some point to minimize your vaping and driving as much as possible. IMO it’s worse than smoking in how quickly buildup can occur - just doesn’t stink and turn things yellow.

9 Likes

The best thing I’ve found to clean that VG residue on the car windows is to take a spray bottle of hot water mixed with a few drops of Dawn dish soap, spray it on the windows and let it sit on there for 10-15 minutes and then spray and wipe with just hot water and wipe it off. The Dawn soap helps break up the grease on the windows.

3 Likes

You need one of these. It’s great for the windshield and works ok even dry

Cold glass condenses so keeping warm air blowing on your windshield makes some sense

5 Likes

A 7:1 ratio of alcohol and distilled water
Or…
A 7:1 ratio of white vinegar and distilled water
Mix in a good spray bottle

Use clean microfiber towels

RO water can be substituted for distilled.

6 Likes

Could try:

1 Like

Maybe this is a good idea:

https://www.eleafus.com/avatar-vapenut.html

6 Likes

That is a brilliant idea! And you are brilliant for finding it! I’m gonna get one tonight

2 Likes

I immediately liked the idea of cleaning my windows once a month instead of once a week and thought you guys could use it too, lol

1 Like

Let us know if they are any good when you get it, please.

1 Like

I don’t clean my windows often, it’s sort of my protection against Masshole drivers during my hellish commute. Defroster on medium, I crack the passengers window and blow out it. I blow locomotive grade clouds. @SthrnMixer drives nice hevicles. I drive a disposable fiesta, lol. If I didn’t smoke a cigar or for 3 years now vape during that drive…I would be on death row. It’s like exhaling hate, lol.

What gets it off very easily for me is the industrial grade windex you can get at lowes and a blue disposable shop towel. So long as the windex does not have an actual chunk of ice in it, you can take off vape buildup well below freezing. I’m pretty sure it contains some nasty chemicals, perhaps even HF…but I am very lazy and don’t do it often, and sometimes only the drivers side :laughing:, every 2-3 months in the eternal winter of new england. Wear gloves and open the windows if you don’t want chromosomal damage.

5 Likes

amen sister! it is a real problem. i really did not know about ALL of the vaping trouble until @SthrnMixer brought up his issues with it. this eleaf filter thing might just be the ticket. do you know if the filter is washable or can it be easily replaced?

I tend to wipe my windows down more in the colder weather. It just collects more. It is a price I will pay to vape.

No, I don’t. I just found it on Instagram, but it might say something about it in the link. I think it’s a fairly new product. Thinking about placing one at the living room table, lol

2 Likes