There was just a report on Fox about an ecig catching fire in New York (I think this happened yesterday), I did a search and found a CBS article about it that included the following picture… how many batteries do you see? And if ya’ll didn’t know, batteries not in a case can start a fire by shorting out on things in your pocket, I wonder if that is what actually happened…
I see 5 batteries.
I also see a very recognizable nickel, and two pennies.
Looks like one mod. Which mod uses 5 batteries? An ecig caught fire…from a battery catching fire first, IMO.
Yeah I see coins and such also.
What gets me is this makes headlines where the following doesn’t…
“Cigarette fires cause close to 1,000 deaths and 3,000 injuries each year in the united states, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). As the ignition source in fires responsible for over 20% of all fire deaths , cigarettes are the nations largest single cause of such deaths.”
“In 2011, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 90,000 smoking-material fires in the U.S., largely unchanged from 90,800 in 2010. These fires resulted in an estimated 540 civilian deaths, 1,640 civilian injuries and $621 million in direct property damage; deaths were down substantially from the year before.”
Made the news here in Canada too. I completely agree that battery safety was ignored here - no mod takes that many batteries, and they shouldn’t have been left loose in his pocket. It should be mandatory that they can’t sell you batteries without a case - either show you have one, or not allow the purchase of batteries without sale of/ being given a case.
Safety first, you know?
Remember, vapers: only you can prevent battery fires!
I see 5 batteries as well, presumably one is still in the mod.
Looking at the battery cover dead center of the picture, I’d say that’s an RX200, so there was probably a full set of back up batteries bouncing around loose with the change. Dead short and things went boom. I feel bad for whoever owned the mod, but people need to take battery safety seriously!
I was really hoping that between the news coverage on the Samsung phones, and earlier the airplane fire from the credit card machine battery shorting, and the hoverboards, that people would start to realize that all LiPo batteries have the potential to discharge catastrophically, and that this isn’t an “E-cig” issue, but a general battery issues that is inherent to all things powered by LiPo’s. It doesn’t happen often, but it can and one should take the potential risks seriously.
Did it set on fire on the pavement??
2 batteries and some coins in their pocket, not a bat case in site, I hope they weren’t hurt but what an incompetent arse, this is just the kind of stupidity that gives vaping a bad name
I didn’t have anything nice to say either…glad you took care of that for me!
If you have iOS do a search in the news app for e cigarette, so many stupid articles…
Makes me so mad! This is so much more “idiot walks around with loose batteries and other items of metal in pocket” but the ecig device gets the blame yet again. They do love some propaganda the media world
I think its 4 cells and a few other round items that were in his pocket. just checked the battery covers on my dual battery rx2/3 and rx200s. that silver spot in the center of that cover is only on the 2 battery cover of the rx2/3.
the 2 burnt cells were probably loose in his pocket with the rest of the burnt items and the 2 brown cells likely came out of the mod
And you won’t see it on the news. Ever. Every media outlet has it’s own agenda. Vaping is evil. Who is pushing that agenda? My guess would be Big Tobacco.
We had about 30 guest over today. I was the only one vaping. 3 people asked me did I see the video of the guys pocket catching on fire. I said yeah, he had loose coins in his pocket and he was a fucking idiot. It wasn’t a mod explosion, as I pointed to my mod, it was a battery explosion due to loose change in the fuckheads pocket.
Sorry for the language. This really gripes my ass because the media is screaming vaping is dangerous and it simply is not the case. People are dangerous because they don’t use common sense.
The general public is buying what the media is selling. Half the story for full price.
Your never going to see that when BT holds its slimy mitts on the news media outlets. There is just now way. In some way it all leads to BT holding on to everything.
All this does and means is that battery safety was not adhered too. We had one explode at work. The boss came out and said no more vaping. I went to the safety person saw the report and said that that person should be burnt and shot. He had batteries not in a case and left his mod unlocked. Case closed he w as a dumb ass, give me back vaping. We got it back the next day.
Need to read faster. @TheTinMan1 beat me too it. I did not see his post. Dammit you are my long lost brother.
I honestly don’t believe all these stories are genuine. Or maybe I just have too much faith in people that they’re not complete and utter galloping gobshites
Also the battries look different. I just saw the story on local news. Stupid person. Did not lock the device. He is seeking a lawsuit against Wismec. Are you fuckin kidding me.
I lost control of my car once going far too fast around a wet corner…
I’m still in the middle of suing Earth for making it rain…
Hope Wismec files a lawsuit against that fucker for being a dumb ass walking around having his batteries in his pocket together with lose change and without having the batteries in a battery case.
I mean is it possible to become more stupid than that?
People with that type of common sense are begging for these things to happen and i’m sure we will see lot more of these accidents in the future.