Freebase Nic plus Nic Salts in Recipes

Hi @daath

New here and fab site. Finding it really helpful. I notice that when creating (private) recipes, there’s no real way of adding more than one type of nicotine. Suppose - as I do - you want to incorporate both freebase and nic salts in a recipe. You could add the salts as a “flavour” but it won’t affect the calculated total nic strength.

Actually I am only using salts because I need to use them up - and salts I read doesn’t last much more than three months.

2 Likes

Whoever told you nic salt doesn’t last after 3 month was either lying or doesn’t know anything about nicotine.
Nic salt last at least as long as regular salt, some even said longer.
I’m just a user and doesn’t know anything about programming, though, so I couldn’t help with your problem. I’m sorry.

4 Likes

Your are reading false info about salts. They last just fine and won’t get peppery with age but will color. Just enter one nic on the nic line and the other as a flavor or mix up a base using both.

4 Likes

Thanks - yes you and delltrapp are quite right about nic salts. Wrong info I had - if anything salt is more stable than freebase.

5 Likes

The Nicotine contents add - but the (likely Benzoic Acid) component (that makes it a “salt”) will be diminished from the ~1:1 (molecular) ratio - in proportion with the amount of base Nicotine added. That will theoretically make your proposed mix (at least in a simple case) possibly somewhat less chemically stable than if it was composed of Nicotine salts only. Other molecular components present in the mixed juice (may well also) modify the pH factor - and thus the stability of the Nicotine component (with regards to oxidation reactions).

3 Likes

:nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face::nerd_face:

1 Like

Source: http://nerdopotamus.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Nerds.gif

5 Likes

@markovapo Markovapo lol good one (name) I do the same thing and I enjoy doing it that way. I get the quick nic fix while getting my throat hit.

@Raven-Knightly I don’t quite understand the point you are making. So…

so your only talking about oxidation?

2 Likes

Dan, pH of the solution affects the potential for (oxidation) chemical reactions to take place. pH may (also, possibly) affect the potential for other types chemical reactions involving Nicotine in solution to take place.

Note that my working knowledge of chemistry (a highly empirical and specialized subject area) is rather limited - so I identify limited information that appears to (in general) be well established by the various sources of information that I find. I am not attempting to represent a complete description of the subject.

2 Likes

I understand that but I don’t think I got the point of your post. Are you saying that mixing the two nics together can make it less [potent]?

What do you mean by chemically stable?

2 Likes

The thread OP stated that:
“salts I read doesn’t last much more than three months”.
This statement (may) have implied that Nicotine salts are (in/of themselves) less stable than base Nicotine.

I posted that the dilution of Nicotine salts containing (some particular) acid along with free-base Nicotine:
“will theoretically make your proposed mix (at least in a simple case) possibly somewhat less chemically stable than if it was composed of Nicotine salts only.”

My use of the phrase “chemically stable” relates to the molecules of Nicotine in a solution remaining intact.

2 Likes