Freezing Nicotine-Bottle Question

Just received 500ml of nicotine from NicBase… it’s in a blue tinted thin’ish plastic squeeze type bottle – is that okay to store in my freezer or should I transfer it to something more robust?
I know nicotine doesn’t freeze but my concern is, can the thin squeeze bottle crack or fissure under freezer temperatures?

5 Likes

It’ll be fine. People like to transfer it to smaller bottles, so they don’t have to expose the nicotine to oxygen all the time.

Personally, I’m always wary of glass bottles. Broken glass and nicotine :scream:

7 Likes

@SCutshall it depends on how thin it is, and what it’s made of. The A number 1 storage for freezers is always glass. Maybe put most of it in glass, and a little in the squeeze bottle to see. The problem beyond cracking for plastic bottles, is air penetration. Although I do not share @Josephine_van_Rijn fear of using glass, glass IS, glass, so if you have a rough and tumble freezer, I guess it could be an issue. I have gallons, and gallons of NIC @ -45F all in glass, with no issues.

6 Likes

Now I DO have a horror story about NIC and glass. Way back when, when I was just first starting to break down my gallons into glass bottles, I wasn’t as rigid about heaving 0.75-1.0" of headspace in the bottles. Probably had 12-16 bottles out, filling and capping them all before putting into a gallon ziplock bag, then into the freezer. As I was working through them, the gallon of NIC I had pulled out of the deep freeze, and was using to fill the smaller bottles was VERY cold. As I was working through the bottles, the NIC was slowly warming, and I had a cap pop off and break. When shifting the bottles around to see what happened, I “chinked” a few together and one DID break. Mess to clean up.

RULE:
ALWAYS leave at least 1" of headspace before capping NIC bottles for the freezer.

5 Likes

I put mine in dark amber bottles, top them off with argon then wrap them in bubble wrap and duct tape. I have used plastic bottles but it was for never longer than 6-8 months. Some of us have many years worth of nic sitting in our freezers. I was always concerned about plastic degradation, hence the glass bottles.

6 Likes

I remember that story :scream:

4 Likes

Once I open a liter I’ll break it down into 250 mls in Boston (amber) rounds. They will not break. Make sure to top the bottle with argon gas after opening. I’ll break the 250 mls down into 60. Same type bottle, Boston rounds, amber. I keep 60’s in the fridge. These bottles won’t break in the freezer, unless they are tossed around in the freezer. I have liters stored in the original plastic bottles, in their boxes in the freezer until I’m ready to open them. Light and heat are nice enemy. Cool (cold) and dark are friendly!

5 Likes

This is what I’ve been doing for 10 years and hasn’t degraded in the least. Same blue bottle placed in a cotton sock then a zip lock plastic bag then taped shut and wrapped in a long sleeve t shirt. Then I take a shopping bag and take the handles criss cross tie done. Very well insulated overkill but it works for me without degradation. Usually squeeze blue bottle til I see the nicotine come to the top leaving very little oxygen cap it and proceed to wrap and sock and wrap etc etc lol.

4 Likes

3 wraps of duct tape in alternating patters and then encased in carbonite

3 Likes