Ghost Hunters are on tonight!

The only TV show I watch. The pook hunters are gonna turn out all the lights and play with their little electro-gadget-whosits and find themselves some pooks! Sometimes the pooks make noises and scare the hunters and say things only the hunters can understand. Gonna fill up the squonk-a-donk and be on the edge of my seat!!!

9 Likes

Alkaloidal apparitions of Gallons of little Nico Globs, eternally searching for some Unicorn Puke to inhabit:

Come quickly, mates ! My Radio Shack Multimeter just registered a NEGATIVE Resistance reading ! … :nerd_face:

7 Likes

Look!!! A floating white dot in the video! Must be Zule, offspring of the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man!!!
And I’m ah gettin all kinds of emf’s! Them there pooks gots bunches of emf’s!!

4 Likes

As we approach the annual Day of the Brain Dead Legislators, remember that All Flakes Day soon follows !

3 Likes

Having experienced thousands of genuine meetings with mystery in my time, I can assure you that our own reductionistic ways of questioning, conceptualizing, and arrogantly imagining ourselves as mastering Nature are wholly inadequate. In our human vanity, occasional hubris, we imagine that sentient consciousnesses unbridled by matter would for some reason(s) desire to meld into our own orchestrated agendas - where (in my experiences) it seems that events can perhaps represent the other way (the order reversed) around.

Nature is the Realm of the Unspeakable. It has no voice of its own, and nothing to say. We experience the unspeakability of nature as its utter indifference to human culture. The Master Player in us tolerates this indifference scarcely at all. Indeed, we respond to it as a challenge, an invitation to confrontation and struggle. The effort has largely taken the form of theatricalizing our relation to nature. The assumption guiding our struggle against nature is that deep within itself nature contains a structure, an order, that is ultimately intelligible to the human understanding.
-James P Carse, Finite and Infinite Games

3 Likes

Ya don’t say?

3 Likes

I offer this. Why do we enjoy Nicotine ? Perhaps because for a few moments, we connect with the Infinite.

3 Likes

Otherwise known as lack of oxygen to the brain.

4 Likes

But one could achieve that (a hypoxic state) simply by exhaling into, and then inhaling from, a paper bag. I do not think that simple and incomplete conceptual models (looking backwards in time) can adequately suffice.

Nicotinic Acetylcholine receptor signalling is a bit more detailed concept - but all explanations do fall short. Consciousness is always experienced in subjective, singular - as opposed to objective, plural - instances.

2 Likes

Ho boy… Gotta run. Time for rehearsal.

4 Likes

[quote=“SmilingOgre, post:1, topic:232096, full:true”] Gonna fill up the squonk-a-donk and be on the edge of my seat!!!
[/quote]

I ain’t afraid o’ no ghost

I call…
gb2

5 Likes

Don’t cross the streams !!!

6 Likes

gezzz…

6 Likes

Pickens can be Slim

:grinning:

4 Likes

CLASSIC @Raven-Knightly.

3 Likes

OMG i remember that one!!! :smiley:

3 Likes

Well said.

True, but it’s still fun.

3 Likes

“Mystical Physicists”:

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.
-Max Planck (interviewed in The Observer, January 25th, 1931)

Consciousness is never experienced in the plural, only in the singular. … consciousness is a singular of which the plural is unknown … in the same way Gaurisankar and Mt. Everest turned out to the same peak seen from different valleys.
-Erwin Schroedinger, “What Is Life? and Mind and Matter”, Cambridge University Press, 1944

The common division of the world into subject and object, inner world and outer world, body and soul is no longer adequate. … We have to remember that what we observe is not nature in itself but nature exposed to our method of questioning.
-Werner Heisenberg

2 Likes

You’re both a a part of nature and you both just something. :thinking:

Everything is apart of some big equation. 1+2*8/12= ? We’re just one number in the equation.

Just like the #1 in the equation above can’t figure out the answer to that math problem. It’s impossible for us to figure out nature or get to the root of the universe or our existence. We’re such a small part of all of it.

4 Likes

What we have done to show that certain events repeat themselves according to known laws is to explain them. Explanation is the mode of discourse in which we show why matters must be as they are. All laws made use of in explanation look backward in time from the conclusion or the completion of a sequence. It is implicit in all explanatory discourse that just as there is a discoverable necessity in the outcome of past events, there is a discoverable necessity in future events. What can be explained can also be predicted , if one knows the initial events and the laws governing their succession. A prediction is but an explanation in advance.

… it is sometimes thought that the grandest discovery of the human genius is the perfect compatibility between the structure of the natural order and the structure of the mind, thereby making a complete understanding of nature possible. “One may say ‘the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility’” (Einstein). This is as much to say that nature does have a voice, and its voice is no different from our own. We can then presume to speak for the unspeakable.

There is an irony in our silencing of the gods. By presuming to speak for the unspeakable, by hearing our own voice as the voice of nature, we have had to step outside the circle of nature. … If speaking about a process is itself part of the process, there is something that must remain permanently hidden from the speaker. To be intelligible at all, we must claim that we can step aside from the process and comment on it “objectively” and “dispassionately”, without anything obstructing our view of these matters.

Here lies the irony: By way of this perfectly reasonable claim the gods have stolen back into our struggle with nature. By depriving the gods of their own voices, the gods have taken ours. It is we who speak as supernatural intelligences and powers, masters of the forces of nature.

This irony passes unnoticed only so long as we continue to veil ourselves against what we can otherwise plainly see: nature allows no master over itself. … What we thought we read in nature we discover we have read into nature. “We have to remember that what we observe is not nature in itself but nature exposed to our method of questioning” (Heisenberg).

Myth provokes explanation but accepts none of it. Where explanation absorbs the unspeakable into the speakable, myth reintroduces the silence that makes original discourse possible.

-James P Carse, (the above text excerpted from the text of) “Finite and Infinite Games”

2 Likes