Give Credit Where Credit Is Due

being a musician i feel that, copying or drawing inspiration from an existing recipe is like covering a song or even paying homage … flavors being chord progressions and such. Like in music, it is made using the same ingredients (musical notes / eliquid ingredients … so the groups (fruits, custards, deserrts) are similar to genres. wow … does this even make sense?

5 Likes

Being a guitar player myself that makes perfect sence to me, would you have ever learned to play if not for first learning other peoples riffs? After awhile you borrow a little here a little there add a little of your own flaver/style and before long you have your own little riff, flaver.

3 Likes

While browsing through recipes I ran across this and it kinda pissed me off because my man @ken-o-where wasn’t mentioned at all for this creation. This guy obviously is sharing this as his own creation.

5 Likes

Thanks for lookin out ND! Most of Bear’s juices are other people recipes, some they adapted and simply copied. Instead of using the comments section or the adapt button… I dont see the point in doing things that way, it adds dupes and takes away from helping the original poster by taking comments and spreading them out instead of having them in the original post where they could help more people…

No biggie tho, when you put something on the interwebz just assume someone is going to claim it as theirs. Thats why i write the vast majority of my recipes in a notebook instead of putting them online. I dont have a problem sharing if someone asks me questions and i think i can help but otherwise they stay in my notebook.

2 Likes

I hear you. I do see your point. I just don’t understand why people want to pose as if they’re a good mixer when everything they have was created by someone else. Just doesn’t make any sense. They should be exposed.

4 Likes

BTW, that koolada idea in the Naner Puddin was fookin awesome! I wonder if we can release these recipes with a creative commons license. Im not a big fan of intellectual property but some might like the idea of creative commons license.

1 Like

It’s yours. I’m in it for fun. I’m sure mixologist cruise these forums all the time stealing the recipes and concealing them under trade secrets. I ended up liking yours better anyway. Thanks tho.

2 Likes

Yeah, im sure they do. In fact i would be incredibly surprised if they didnt. There have been a couple who people tried to pull all of there recipes, from the web, after finding out a shop was mixing and selling some of his recipes.

The first fella that crossposted the recipe from reddit has more +votes than mine does. I might have to get some of the TFA Banana Cream and try it his way. But i still have 12oz Colorless Banana Cream (LA) to use up.

2 Likes

That’s a hard one. Say I copy someone’s RY4 but instead of EM I use Sweetener (or something similar). It’s not a copy anymore even if it might taste the same. Personally if I did this and it tasted the same, I’d give a credit where it’s due.

2 Likes

Did you get your inspiration from that particular recipe? It’s all about paying respect. That’s why Pharell was sued for his likeness of a Marvin Gaye song. If I viewed a recipe of yours and was inspired to do a similar recipe I will acknowledge that your recipe gave me idea to do what I did. All we have hear is our respect and if you are disrespected enough you will not share and then this whole thing will fall apart. I would love to see what’s in @Ken_O_Where notebook but he chooses to keep them to himself because of that very reason. I can’t fault him for that.

4 Likes

Yes that’s what I said. I just though I’ll put this on my own recipes “This recipe is not based on any other that I know of”.
And if I get inspired by some than something like "Recipe based on “juice Name” by “Creator”,
That could be a start.

2 Likes

i want to first thank everyone for the wonderful recipes , without your recipes diy would be difficult , i believe in giving credit to people either by not taking credit for a recipe or even if i change it up i still believe a person should be given some credit because without them that recipe may not exist anyway i just was bored and was skimming through recipes and came a across a couple that were obviously adapted from others i know because i keep that certain recipe in my rotation , maybe im making a bigger deal than it is , i just know how hard it is to create a good recipe so give some credit otherwise your a fraud

1 Like

Might just be an oversight on the persons behalf, you could always add the source in the comments… I know I added a few in succession and forgot to add the source but added it a few minutes later when i flipped through them to make sure they were entered correctly before… or it could be the user doesnt realize they can just use adapt this recipe in the drop down menu and are entering the recipe right from scratch with their adaptation… I know I had a learning curve when i first started using the site :blush: Maybe leave a polite comment on them since not everyone uses the forum.

4 Likes

possibly but the way the comment was put they meant to try to pass it off as theirs lol , i think it bothers me so much bc i got a friend into diy and hes always coming by with a new vape and taking credit , and the other day i saw all of his recipes and they were actually all of wayne walkers from diy or die and the cuttwood spy um clone but like i said im probably making a bigger deal out of it than it is

1 Like

lol okay thats kinda funny… I actually havent tried the cuttwood spy version yet, I have a few of waynes on the go right now. That melon tea is good but caused me some frustration as the flavour wont go away lol… but no your not making too big a deal I wish I could mix like some folks do but im just not there yet hopefully one day I will be so without those great mixers sharing recipes I would be stuck with premium juice or my own concoctions (most of which can honestly make you ill they are soooo gross lol) I think the least we can do is give them credit… speaking of which omfg that bust a nut is insanely good

2 Likes

i hve not tried that one yet , looms like another one to add to the list

1 Like

There is a balance. I just posted my Pistacio recipie in an thread. Yup I built it my self, based on flavor notes. But I cant say someone does have something close. But I didn’t see anything I could really adapt. But I do have a tracked inspiration point, but what I came up with was In The opposite direction. Credit was and will be given for that.

The other challenge is that I have stalked people like Amy, pro_vapes, darth, and many others here and others from the other forum. Everything I have learned came from them. I bet my oringials in many ways resemble their techniques already discovered and used by them…and resemble their recpies in many ways.

But I agree credit is always due in many ways. And because of that I have 20 recpies I love and adapted from everyone’s contributions. And I may only have one more recipie to share connected to my name for the next year (“not_ezDoesit clone”)

And yup. There is a whole thread on this topic…lol…just not skilled enough to move a thread (@JoJo)

1 Like

i was irratated last night from dealing with a friend who has been copying all of diy or die recipe and a couple more and passing them off as his then i came across an obvious recipe that was adapted so last night i was on this big rant lol but i to copy othera recipes it has actually helped me learn what percentages to start with or what creams blend well but i keep those recipes private and yes ive even taken a recipe and changea it around but that ia adapted so i use the link and i hope one day i come up with multiple recipes that people love to copy and use but dont be fake and pass it off as yours if its not and peddle it to local vendors customers to profit off lol anyway ty for bringing up the old thtead it was a great read and actually makes me feel a little better about my bitching lol

3 Likes