Give Credit Where Credit Is Due

I want to first thank daath for making this site possible. It’s great to have a community where DIY’ers can share and collaborate. And I also want to thank all of those who have made criticism and suggestions for my recipes. Some have really been helpful.

However, the point I want to make here is quite simple. Daath has made the recipe system (unless I’m missing something) so that if you post a recipe you have to uncheck the box to make it public. What a person has in their private collection is just that…private. But once you uncheck that box it’s out there for everyone to see. Personally, when I open something to the public that I have created I always put (SthrnMixer Original) in order to show this is my own creation. But then I see others post it without that tagline…so there’s no credit given. I think perhaps when I first started using ELR I may have done this myself without thinking about it…and I’ve tried to go through and make sure to fix them…but if anyone sees me with one of their original recipes posted without giving them credit by all means let me know and I’ll change it. Likewise I would like to get credit for my own creations…or rather don’t even post them as they are already there. Keep it private.

I don’t mean to stir up a hornet’s nest, rather I would love to see this community come together and be committed to always giving credit to the original source or those who have helped them. Nuff said :smile:

12 Likes

I agree although I have not posted a public recipe. Only because all mine have been just simple. But if had came up with a great one and complex i’d feel all my trial and error should deserve some credit. And thanks again to daath for making a great site and all the user for making this site enjoyable. :grinning:

3 Likes

I think that people mostly adapt when doing this - why they make it public I don’t know - maybe they are sharing their changes with some friends, I don’t know. There should be a small light-blue button with a pair of crossed arrows - that buttons indicates that it has been adapted from another recipe, and when you click it, it will take you to the recipe that it was adapted from.

That said, however, I feel it’s good practice to mention the original user/recipe in the notes. I think I might add some default text to the notes, when you’re adapting (that people can then choose to edit). I don’t know yet :smile:

3 Likes

Imitation (or adaptation in the diy mixing world) is artless flattery (to quote Eustace Budgell, 1714). And I will add, giving credit where credit is due is just being a thoughtful human being. It’s just the right thing to do.

2 Likes

That helps. I will definitely go through mine and make sure I’m giving proper credit where I may have missed it before. Thanks!

3 Likes

I haven’t done to many at all but I will definitely keep that in mind!!!

1 Like

Totally agreed :+1: if I snag a recipe to make or reflect on I typiclly will keep it private otherwise I do add a tag in the title. Nice thought give cred where it’s due !!!

1 Like

When i first started using this site I think I might have messed up and Did exactly the wrong thing :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Id just like to say thanks to those who replicated one of my recipes and gave me credit for the original. It wasnt necessary but still pretty cool.

One thing that would be nice if is all the spinoffs would be on one page or linked somehow. Just to make it easier to give them a try.

1 Like

I agree if the recipe is an exact copy of someone else’s, credit should be given, but what if you take the recipe and modify it, maybe change some percentages or add and/or subtract a flavor. Who’s recipe is it then, and who should get credit?

2 Likes

So few things are actually original anymore, not just with vaping but everything in general. I have asked the same question, people who clone recipes shouldnt call them clones as they arent exact. That would be nearly impossible with all the flavor combinations and percentages. With all the work that goes into some of these clones people should just call them their own. But if you are going to take a recipe and change a percentage or sub an ingredient i personally would give credit to the originator of the recipe. To each their own tho, if you put something on the interwebz you cant expect people to credit you for it.

I would love if the variants were all on one page tho, or linked. One of my recipes has been copied and changed quite a bit and i would like to try them all. Im just glad people like something i created.

Just my thoughts.

3 Likes

…and if we’re waiting for someone to give us credit for even the slightest inspiration to come up with a variation of the original, we would be setting ourselves up for disappointment. Alas, you can only govern your own actions in this case.

3 Likes

I completely agree. Im just happy with people liking what i made. I dont post many recipes, here, but the few i have posted people seem to like, that makes me happy.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s on my list as well - it’s really easy to do, since I already record adaptations :smile: I just have to do it ;D

4 Likes

I just wish people would take advantage of the ‘Notes’ section when creating recipes. This is the area I always give credit to the person I have adapted a recipe from. Even if I change percentages or change out a minor flavor component, I try to put the persons Username in there…

It would also be nice if someone rates the recipe (good or bad) that they leave a message in the comment section. Or better yet, have it autogen under the comments " “Username’ gave 5 Stars”. I understand people would tend to not rate recipes knowing its no longer anon, but if you leave a bad rating without a constructive comment, your not really helping.

Rant end… (sorry, lol)

5 Likes

You are @!@%$! awesome!

3 Likes

Interesting idea and i agree. Just like on Reddit i dont downvote/upvote without a reply.

2 Likes

[quote=“Ken_O_Where, post:11, topic:14600, full:true”]if you put something on the interwebz you cant expect people to credit you for it.
[/quote]

Guess I’m still old fashioned. Groupthink would dictate the same… everyone does it but I’m interested merely in promoting integrity. To me, putting up someone’s recipe without giving credit is lying…just like plagiarism. I don’t suppose everyone would feel this way but I think it’s good to share our views.

4 Likes

I personally agree but at the same time i understand the way the interwebz work. This goes all the way back to the 90’s when AOL dumped 10’s of thousands of people on to the actual interwebz. Those of us that understood wept deeming it Eternal September, netiquette died that day. It has all gone downhill since then.

Since then i have put nothing on the interwebz without understanding that someone would just copy it and claim it as their own. It is the reason the vast majority of my recipes are written down in a notebook and not shared with anyone else. And yet we have some people here full of integrity, people who have given me credit for one of my recipes despite not asking for it. To them i say thank you and to those who have claimed it as their own i simply shake my head and give them the look.

2 Likes

I here you there Ken…and I know I’m way off topic but heck, it’s my thread so I guess I’ll hijack it. I look around and see what anonymity online has done to our culture at large. People are en masse losing touch with humanity. We now have a generation of young people who have grown up with the technology of personal computers and all the depravity that comes with it. I feel like it has bastardized the sense of right and wrong to an alarming degree. And while I’m not trying to be a self-appointed moral policeman, I do hope that someone might read something I’ve written and think hey, I never looked at it like that. If more people did that it wouldn’t necessarily fix the problems in our society, but it couldn’t hurt either.

Now to lead by example…I have posted that Castle Long clone (I know you don’t like that word - clone) that a few members have asked about. It’s not 1:1 but it’s pretty darn close. Very nice in fact.

5 Likes