GPlat Wire / ER317L Reasonably Priced

I located some 317L welding wire / GPlat in small amounts from a European company. 50 meters £14.32 shipped to the US. I think that translates to about $16 or $17. I’ll update when it arrives. Here’s the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/products/317L-Grade-Stainless-Steel-Wire---0.35mm--350-Micron---28-AWG--152.html

It’s described as SS317L, But it’s the same as ER317L.
SS317L(ER317L)
• Used in pollution control equipment where corrosion is too severe for type 316L.
• Also used where pitting is a problem in chlorine environments.
• Resists carbide precipitation due to the low carbon content.

3 Likes

Great wire, i used it for awhile until i found 316L. Just be sure to clean it with alcohol before you even burn it. My old man got tired of me taking it off his welder so i went with 316L, surgical steel. Amazon has it for pretty cheap.

Thanks for the link ND!

I order some ER316L from a different vendor and it was very stiff and brittle until I heated it. Is the wire from Amazon easy to work with?

Very, it shouldnt have been brittle at all. I use 26g and it is very malleable. There are supposedly 2 versions of Gplat, the 2nd version they removed some metal that i cant remember right now, or so they say anyways.

1 Like

I went on amazon and saw a few listings there. Real good deals for 2 lb. spools and another for 10 meters. Which did you get?

OK, I didn’t see the link. I wonder If the 2 lb spools are similar to what I already have or the soft 316L.
Either way I’ll be ok for a while. Thanks for the link.

Well worth the read!!! thanks @NewDrip

I located some 317L welding wire / GPlat in small amounts from a European company. 50 meters £14.32 shipped to the US. I think that translates to about $16 or $17. I’ll update when it arrives. Here’s the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.wireandstuff.co.uk/products/317L-Grade-Stainless-Steel-Wire---0.35mm--350-Micron---28-AWG--152.html

It’s described as SS317L, But it’s the same as ER317L.
SS317L(ER317L)
• Used in pollution control equipment where corrosion is too severe for type 316L.
• Also used where pitting is a problem in chlorine environments.
• Resists carbide precipitation due to the low carbon content.

This link received bad reviews. Sorry for this post.