Harm Minimization and Tobacco Control: Reframing Societal Views of Nicotine Use to Rapidly Save Lives

I wish the FDA (and comparable institutions in other countries) would have the attention span to read documents like this…

https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/full/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-040617-013849

9 Likes

“Accurate public education is needed to counteract misperceptions of harm from nicotine and ANDS, to communicate the continuum of risk related to the use of different tobacco and ANDS products (Figure1), and to emphasize the importance of smoking cessation. ANDS should always be compared with smoked tobacco products (relative harms), and the mistaken public beliefs that nicotine is the cause of disease risk and cancer, rather than the smoke from combustion, must be dispelled(44). Fears that nicotine causes cancer discourages use of FDA-approved NRTs as well as e-cigarettes and other ANDS as viable ways to stop smoking cigarettes(28).”

6 Likes

Looks like a find. Could see:
https://publichealth.nyu.edu/faculty/david-abrams

3 Likes

Thanks for posting that ill enjoy sending that to the naysayers

3 Likes

Nice link @anon28032772. I’m surprised at how lfew people are making a point this, even amongst proponents of vaping.

I’d just like to higlight one sentence - nay, half a sentence - from the para that @therabidweasel quoted

and the mistaken public beliefs that nicotine is the cause of disease risk and cancer, rather than the smoke from combustion, must be dispelled

That cannot be overstated. We’re getting more and more stupid, destructive legislation (eg from the EU and FDA) that hits the vaping industry much harder than the tobacco industry, being passed with barely a murmer of protest . Why? Purely because of that misconception. and the cynical exploitation of the same by Big Tobacco and their lackeys.

Intersting that the guy who’s saying this is a Professor of Social and Behavioral Sciences, not your standard medic. I suppose they just didn’t think to lean on his department to ensure that they make the right noises.

Sociologists. Meh. Who listens to them?

Well, actually, I think that we badly need to start listening to them now that politics has come to be all about flim flam and pseudoscience. .

2 Likes