Harsh throat hit max vg

Hello everyone! I am fairly new to DIY, and am experiencing some problems. I have been getting a harsh throat hit, which makes it impossible to Vape. I mix 3mg nic, with 100mg PG nic. I have been mixing flavors at 10-15% and thought maybe that was too high. So I made a mix that others said was awesome, and copied it drop for drop. 3% flavoring, 3mg nic, and the rest vg. I am STILL getting the harsh throat hit. It has steeped for about a week, and I shake it twice a day. Now here’s the kicker, when I make strawberry kiwi using tpa, at 9%/5%, it doesn’t have the throat hit, even right when mixing. Could it be the nicotine? And for some reason the strawberry just numbs it down? Are some flavors just extremely harsh? 3% seems like low flavoring. As for setup, I am vaping around .3-.4 ohms, dual coil kanthal, 6 wrap, 2.5mm, organic cotton bacon. It is not my setup, as I have mastered this part, just listing so you guys know my scenario. Should I try vaping vg/nic alone? I’m just getting frustrated because my local shop mixes their juice in ten minutes, and it tastes great. Why do mine suck? Thanks ahead of time for any input at all.

Update: Vaped everything alone with VG, and it turned out to be the nicotine. When using 2 drops of nicotine per 10ml bottle, the flavors went mute, and I tasted a black pepper taste. So if you guys ever have this issue where it’s either throat hit from hell, or pepper in your mouth, replace your nicotine!

1 Like

Try vaping a juice without nicotine and see what that’s like. If it is still the same without you have eliminated the nicotine. Then try without flavours to see if that is the problem. If the problem is the flavours, mix juice with one flavour at the time to see which flavour is giving you the problem.

4 Likes

What brand of nicotine are you using and from where ?

1 Like

Liquidbarn. I heard good things about them. Originally I ruled out the nicotine because my Strawberry Kiwi tasted great, but I’m wondering if I just got lucky, and the flavors somehow muted the bad nicotine. I’m going to try what Josephine said, one by one. Also to add on, this has occurred with multiple flavors by Flavourart, and TFA.

2 Likes

What I have noticed since being spoiled with stainless steal attys is when I went back to my TFV4 tank that has the stock coils in it which for some stupid ass reason are kanthal (you would think for the insane price of these coils, plus the fact they pair it with the cube they would at the very least be SS)

That I can actually now taste the difference! A lot of people have said this going from Ti/SS wire down to Kanthal but I have never noticed a difference and I think that is because the only Kanthal I use is in my little Nautilus tanks and they do not produce enough to notice. But anyways on the TFV4 kanthal coils all my juices put off this faint dirty harsh/metallic flavor that I do not get with the same juices on my SS builds.

I’m not saying this is the reason for you but the kanthal is definitely not helping. I would try a SS or Ti wire to give you more of a clean flavor.

Just my opinion of course but I would start where everyone else said…trial and error

Your flavoring %s really shouldn’t matter much, unless you are throwing 15% of something like a clove or cinnamon. I’m pretty sure that if it was your nicotine you would still taste/feel it regardless of what flavor you have but I could be wrong

1 Like

I have had the same problem with FA Strawberry at 2% and 3%. Everything I put it in is really harsh. So I would try each flavor in a single recipe (no nic) and see what is up.

3 Likes

Hey ! I read once that if strawberry FA isn’t shook really well prior to using it it can do this. It is made with natural flavors and is best to shake it well prior to using it. So maybe ? This will help!

1 Like

I understand what you’re saying about the taste, and I’m one of those people who could care less if it’s Kanthal/Nichrome/Ti01/NI200. Luckily for you, and me, I have a few drippers, one has titanium, another has nickel. That is definitely not the issue. I’m talking hits so harsh, you literally can’t vape it.

On the subject of the kanthal coils tasting like crap, stock kanthal does taste like crap to me. Yet so does nickel stock also. Once you build coils, normal coils become flavorless in my experience. Whether I build kanthal or titanium, I get about the same flavor. I’d say wicking is more important than the wire itself. I think people have this placebo effect from coils, and forget that it’s just metal with cotton inside lol. My friends and I spent all day building claptons, verticals, quad coils etc, and found that there really was no major difference between any, except in the time it took to get hot.

Either way thank you for taking your time to input your advice!

2 Likes

Definitely will try single flavors just to see, if you think that could be it. I haven’t tried strawberry from FA though, so far TFA’s strawberry is great. Will try FA soon.

Im to new to this to tell him what his isue is. But i can agree with SS. I now have like 10 rolls of kenthol that will just sit there. Maybe i can make a fence with it lmao.

1 Like

Want to ship them to me? :smiley:

I’ve gone from kanthal to stainless to titanium and back to stainless, and I’m not tasting this life-changing difference that some people describe. I just rewicked an old build on my Zephyrus RBA head that I’m 99% sure was kanthal and it tastes fine. Better than I remember, honestly, and I think it’s because I’ve gotten better at wicking.

2 Likes

Why you need a fence lol

1 Like

It’s not a life changing event. But i noticed a big difference at least for me. SS heats up faster and cools faster. And to me has a cleaner taste. Maybe it’s just me , or I’ve seen everyone eles was saying how much better it was. Either way. I won’t go back to kenthol .

Basically my rule is, more PG, more wick. Less PG, less wick. I used to hate max VG, until someone told me to use half my normal wick amount. I am now a max VG addict. I can chain vape constantly no problem. But hey, maybe some people taste a difference, and we’re the weird ones lol.

1 Like

I could use some free wire. I’ll send you back a Clapton :smiley:

1 Like

You want this kenthol. I will send it to you.

I got 9 rolls still in plastic. And one I’ve been using. I will send you the 9 rolls. All 100 foot rolls. Thats 900 feet of kenthol :slight_smile:

On the contrary! I have heard someone say that Nickel changed their life. But then again, he was selling Nickel wire, so maybe he over exaggerated a little…

1 Like

Is that 900 feet of fence kanthal? or vaping kanthal? lol

1 Like