Has anyone had the smell of Ant Spray, WD-40 or Metal cleaner seep into your E-Liquid Bottles/Flavorings?

This is going to be a long message so bear with my guys. I quit smoking back in 2015 and have never had this problem until now. I first started getting into DIY Mixing and have been loving it! First 5 mixes were AMAZING! But until now, the rest were… Too bland. I found out I wasn’t using the right sweetener. I was using Liquid Barn Sweetener but at .04 grams and even tried it at 1% but it was still lacking in sweetness. I have Capella Super Sweet now and have a half of a 30ML bottle left. However, here’s where things started getting weird. I know it’s not my flavorings or bottles because they never smelled or tasted like this until I had my back door open and neighbors started spraying Raid Ant Spray late at night. I don’t know how but some of the smell got into my vape bottles and I had to throw them away. My dad sprayed WD-40 and Metal Cleaner one day and it circulated through the A/C and came into my room while I was changing my cotton and ruined my brand new coils. I had to throw away the coils and cotton, soak my RTA and Dripper in hot water for an hour and a half to get the smell out and it worked but still. Now I’m at a hotel since we’re having work done so we can sell our house and I was curious because I’ve tried looking everywhere online for this problem but either nobody has had this problem, or they have had it but don’t want to admit it. My question is, has anyone had an Ant Spray, WD-40 Or Metal Cleaner smell somehow seep into their E-Liquid bottles or Flavoring bottles? I’ve just been throwing them away every time I smelled it, did the drop on your hand and taste test, and worst of all vaped it in my RTA or Dripper that had that smell in there and had to throw the bottle away as well as clean my RTA and Dripper, dry burn the coils, clean off the deck, rewick and hope the next bottle doesn’t have it since my taste buds get used to that taste and they start to think it’s “Normal” I’ve already gone through 6 bottles and might have to throw away a few more because of this. Has anyone ran into this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated

7 Likes

What bottle did you use to store your liquid? If you store them in some type of bottle (unicorn), they’ve been known to oxidize the liquid. Maybe strong smells could seeped in too?

Some other bottles is not exactly tight too. including some glass bottles with rubber dripper thingy cap. Strong smells could got in because the rubber part is not closing down the cap just right. (I hope this make sense)

6 Likes

I use 60ML Unicorn bottles, 15ML LDPE Bottles and when I run out of a flavoring I’ll sometimes use the 16.5ML Bottle it comes in. I’ll reuse the Vape shop or online vape shop bought 100ML Gorilla bottles as well until it’s way too easy to squeeze, then throw it away. I thought about the Gorilla bottles oxidizing and read up on it but I haven’t run into that or at least I don’t think so. Funny thing is I actually didn’t run into this problem again until I used a little of my Pink Lemonade Flavoring and it had the ant spray smell in it, but I didn’t realize it until after I drop taste tested it. Then I tried it in my dripper and after the 3rd hit I said “NOPE!” And threw the bottle away, cleaned my dripper changed the cotton, the whole 9 yards.

I stopped using glass bottles years ago because I hate the droppers. Every time I bought the glass bottles of juice, I just poured it all into a 60ML Chubby Gorilla bottle after I got tired of glass bottles. The other thing too is it doesn’t seep into the Gorilla bottles until you open it while the Ant Spray Smell is in the air, or it’s in a bottle that already had it in there and you start mixing without knowing it’s in there. I don’t think it’s in any of my desert flavors and flavorings but because they’re a lot stronger, so it’s a lot harder to separate the taste of the Ant spray from the taste of the desert flavors and flavorings. I feel like the Ant Spray smell attacks Menthol and fruity flavors more so far but I’m not sure.

I guess to put all this into comparison, it’s like when you change your cotton the night before you hang out with a smoker and they light a cigarette and start smoking near you. The smoke smell starts clinging onto the cotton changing the flavor a little bit.

6 Likes

Ah…no. Just, no.

7 Likes

Dude! That totally BLOWS man!

I am very sensitive to that sort of thing. Any kind of chemical in the air. I cannot have it at all. As soon as I smell any kind of chemical I close all of my vents and my door and I put a towel under the crack. I will even toss something over the top of my flavors whether it’s a towel or bag. To answer your question yes I have had that issue not with those particular chemicals you’re talking about but yeah I’ve had stuff quote seep into my bottles.

this is where I have to admit that I’m a paranoid individual. Like I said all I have to do is smell it and then I think it’s everywhere even in my glass then I’m drinking from so I cannot do any mixing during any kind of chemical smell otherwise I do believe I imagine that I smell it on everything. I’ve tossed quite a few flavors because of it but I believe a lot of it has to do with my paranoia so I’m not actually sure if those concentrates were bad or not but I would smell it forever after that. Whether it’s actually there or not I don’t know LOL but I thought I was the only one that dealt with that so hopefully you have a better go of it. But once I started putting a towel or something over my flavors then I haven’t had any other problems with my paranoia and chemical smell. I hope that helps LOL I really do peace out I hope you figure it out 2

5 Likes

Hi Avoc and welcome to ELR. No, I’ve never had this problem but I do know that spraying WD-40 indoors is a no no and especially if your AC or forced hot air system is on. Eeks! Sorry that happened. Cotton is susceptible to odors even from your fingers. I imagine insect spray would be just as bad as WD-40 because it has petroleums in it. Tell dad to knock it off with the WD-40 in the house, lol.

5 Likes

sorry, have not had this problem :thinking:

2 Likes

Hey everyone! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone! I’m sorry I haven’t responded to your replies. I’ve been busy moving back into my house after we had the whole house painted, new carpet, balconies redone, etc. It’s been a tough few weeks. Thank you all for your replies. I’m glad I’m not the only one who has that problem. As of right now, I haven’t had that problem. Unfortunately, I have to throw away 6 bottles after testing each one in my dripper. My Orange Cream Extreme Menthol flavor got tainted with my aunt’s overpowering perfume. So I had to throw that one out. So far, I’ve thrown out flavorings that had ant spray smell in them and am left with only a few fruity flavorings. I thought it got in my new WS-23 bottle but I tested it in another bottle of blue raspberry and it was really good. So it’s not in there. My neighbors are still spraying ant spray and WD-40 outside sometimes when my back door is open, but I have all my bottles, mods, tanks and my dripper in ziplock bags. Unfortunately, because of the paint smell in the house, the smell of the carpet, and the dust, I don’t think I should be mixing just incase. I have done it with a 60ML Gorilla bottle as a test and got amazing results. To those who have not had that problem, you’re lucky. I strongly recommend not testing out the ant spray, metal cleaner, or WD-40 smell and vape, or drip/fill your RTA, RDTA, or Sub-Ohm tanks, it out at all. Throwing out a fresh bottle of juice is not a good feeling let alone 6-12 bottles of juice. I accidentally made a mix that tasted like sour skittles and loved it! However, after not vaping it for a while and letting it steep more, it had a nutmeg smell and I thought it was my egg nog mix at first, but it wasn’t. Then it started to taste like Sour Skittle Whiskey on ice… It was good at first, but after about 10 hits it didn’t taste good at all. So I have to throw that one out as well. I did find a little but of an antidote to cleaning out the ant spray tainted bottles. Run them under hot water until you either can’t smell anything on all parts of the bottle or until you can barely smell a hint of anything on all parts of the bottle. Then either let it air dry, or use a paper towel and dry it off and you can use it again. I hope you guys are having a great Christmas, a great Holiday, and everyone is staying safe. Thank you again for replying! You guys are awesome! :smiley:

5 Likes

Well, think about it. Anything that’s in the air will be drawn into your atty when you take a pull. After giving this some thought, I stopped bringing my gear into the bathroom.

4 Likes

Sounds like a pain in the arse :confounded:

2 Likes

what ?? you don’t like vaping farts ? :roll_of_toilet_paper: :grin:

3 Likes

Only my own.

2 Likes