Has anyone seen this yet?

Coil Master has a new clapton jig, the CM 314 Clapton Maker. Seems a bit odd to me. No videos that I can find on it actually making clapton wire yet.

4 Likes

Saw that the other day, very interesting. Id probably buy it and use it once, not really a clapton fan, but the concept is pretty cool.

3 Likes

I love claptons but will wait for some reviews and videos of this device before I put any $$ down.

4 Likes

Seems a good idea but the length of clapton you’ll end up with seems short.
Enough for two coils perhaps?

1 Like

It goes thru the end, from the looks of it, itd autofeed itself as much as u have in. The second section appears to be stabalizing and tension. Wonder if tension is adjustable or not hmm

1 Like

Reminds me of a mini lathe.

In fact, a wood lathe at slow speed would be ideal for wrapping, I could imagine it would be super easy to make a rig to hold the outer wire and then just move the tool slowly to the right, should be super accurate too…

2 Likes

I found this one and it seem to work really great.

1 Like

Read the thread i just invited you to. :+1:

1 Like

It does look like a great device but i love the ones @Phill has provided me. The single and the duo.

2 Likes

I like the design of @Phill stuff, if he can every get the logistics worked out. I have the Clapton Jig v2 but haven’t had much success using it. I just want a fast and easy way to make some SS clapton wire.

1 Like

Yeah, were just waiting on him to let us know. :+1:

1 Like

I saw that jig and instead of buying it, I just grabbed a few of those wood clamps. I can knock out a few feet in a couple minutes. Never worked with SS for claptoning, but for kanthal builds it makes it so much easier than by hand.

1 Like

Look at how wood lathes work… That is the principle, just do that with a drill and some kind of “feeder”

So tempted to pick this up in an Antique Mall in Penn last weekend… will wait to pick up at some Estate Sale for $25 …there was no visible price on this

2 Likes

Made a simple jig. Works good.

8 Likes

I was thinking about this the other day, you can get hobby lathes which are much smaller but I doubt you’d find one on one of your ‘hunts’ be interesting to see if this could work, I’d be tempted to try and incorporate a sewing machine foot pedal into the mix, I’ve been trying to find a way of doing that with a drill as I think a foot pedal would give you the best control over making claptons and leave both your hands free, but the only things I can find that use that are either a dentist drill or a beauticians nail …thingy…:confused:… I have been given a dewalt cordless that I can rip apart and I have 2 sewing machine pedals so I may look into it this weekend.

3 Likes

Just an idea I had…

Has anyone tried making a rig where it’s the outer wire spinning?

Clamp your inner and outer wire, create a disc (2-3inches in diameter) with a hole in the centre and thread your inner wire through it, have your outer wire run through a slot on the outside of the disc and spin the disc to wrap the wire?

I believe this principle is used in some yarn production.

You would probably need to make some kind of tension / small feeder unit on the side of the disc to keep the wire straight and get a tight wrap.

1 Like

I also have the CJ V2 and it works very well. It works even better if you fasten the tail of the core wire to a swivel, so you can put a little tension on the longer core wires.

Edit: I really like this new AvidArtisan Daedalus

Right on Clampless Clapton jig :+1:

1 Like