Has anyone tried making their own Nic Salts

It does, thank you.

1 Like

You’re welcome…by the way ebay is a good source. There are lots of different vendors selling the Ba…UK, USA, etc. I chose poland because it was nearest to me.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reference to PAX’s 2015 patent !

So much for my occasional fantasy of grabbing a few granules of the Citric Acid powder that I use to make “poor man’s Limeade” sweetened by Sucralose, and dropping them into my mix. Here’s why that is the case:

“The suitable acid for the nicotine salt formulation does not decompose at the operating temperature of the electronic cigarette.”

“… citric acid decomposes at 175°C … thus for a device operating at 200° C, … may not be appropriate.”

The human body itself internally manufactures around 5 Pounds of Citric Acid daily (as part of the biological Kreb’s cycle). When ingesting Citric Acid into one’s stomach, aside from (potentially) being a bit rough on tooth enamel in higher concentrations to due acidity in general, it readily decomposes in (more) acidic stomach fluids (where pH ~3). No big deal with that - I add it to my drinking water (with Sucralose added for sweetening) all day, every day. Elimination of bodily citrates via the Kidneys is important to prevent stones.

However, starting at around temperatures of 150 Deg C, and more significantly at 175 Deg C, it dehydrates (losing Water), and decomposes into Aconitic Acid. There are two isomers of Aconitic Acid (AA) - trans-AA (having a melting point of 194-195 Deg C), and cis-AA (having a much lower melting point of 122 Deg C). This means (when vaporzation temperature is below 195 Deg C) that decomposed Citric Acid will result in little solid chunks of trans-AA floating around in one’s Nicotine salt e-juice. Sort of sounds like a bad idea ?

Aconitic Acid is sometimes utilized as a flavoring agent: trans-AA (“nut, vegetable, caramel”); Cis-AA (“wine acid”) - so one would expect a (Citric Acid formulated) salt of Nicotine to alter e-juice “flavor profiles” as a function of vaporization temperatures (when between the two differing melting points of 122 and 195 Deg C).

Higher temps may decompose Aconitic Acid to Methyl Maleic Anhydride (“not for flavor or fragrance use”).

All that it takes to convert (the alternative) Benzoic Acid (used by PAX in JUUL Pods) to the extremely dangerous toxin Benzene is decarboxylization. See: “Benzene formation in electronic cigarettes”.

3 Likes