Have enough nicotine for the long haul?

According to Wizard Labs, it can last 2+ years in the freezer:

“For long term storage over 2 months, we recommend transferring your nicotine solution into glass containers with airtight lids, and as little airspace in the top of the container as possible. If stored properly, in a freezer at or below 0°F, a nicotine solution can remain viable and usable in excess of 2 years.”

2 Likes

I’m trying not to sound like a smart ass here but I know how to store my nic. I’m talking about these people that have 5+ years of nic stashed away. Just how long will it be good and what if any with the side effects consequences be of vaping 15 year old changed to god only knows what liquid that was nicotine as soon as 11 years ago.

1 Like

I hear you. I wasn’t implying you don’t know what you’re doing, was just adding what WL’s criteria was for determining 2+ years.

I’m curious if deep freezing nic would have any negative effects. If not, it seems like it might be the way to go if we’re talking 5+ years.

4 Likes

This is an ECF thread that goes back to 2012: “Nicotine Comparisons”

There’s a lot of useful info there. :grinning: I remember seeing one member saying he’s stored (freezer) and used RTS nicotine from 2010 with no issues. It’s a huge thread, but worth the read.

6 Likes

I believe I remember reading that thread. The one suggestion that kept being pressed was to purchase a nicotine test kit. Stating if you stored as suggested, Wizard Labs had a write up in there on that, the only foreseeable change would be a small percentage drop in strength but as I remember the drop was so small I felt a test kit would be a waste of an individual’s money. Mixing to sell would be the only reason I would consider a test kit, but the FDA has taken that away from the Mom & Pops. A test kit would be the only way to KNOW the strength of aged nicotine. Remember also as nicotine ages it gets that pepper taste so many don’t like. Hope that helps!

3 Likes

Good point @HoneyGram57 and we have been missing you!:grinning:

2 Likes

Glad to know my absence was felt :blush:; this will explain why I’ve been kinda hit & miss here. 72 Hours Ago
I promise I’ve been missing everyone here & will be very happy when I’m back for good!

Blessings All, Stay Safe!

2 Likes

Im so confused.

Didnt i read Nicotine River say DIY would go unaffected?

2 Likes

None that i have found. I have a couple test bottles in the freezer, one VG base one PG base 100mg/ml, that i have tested every six months for the last few years. There has been no noticeable degradation of the nicotine. I store all of my nic in the deep freezer, i break it down to 120ml bottles and top it off with argon. Then i vacuum seal, a step that isnt necessary but i do so in case of breakage.

As of right now i am unaware of any impacts to the DIY world. Despite this i still have a large volume of nic in the freezer, enough to last several lifetimes if i just made liquid for the wife and I.

1 Like

I test every single batch that i receive, ever since NN sent out at batch that was double strength, a batch that i received.

3 Likes

I was waiting for you to chime in on that issue. :wink: Folks need to know it can happen.

3 Likes

It still rubs me the wrong way because of how the vendor reacted and then how they didnt take care of the issue. But lesson learned. I knew that i should have been testing but i had become lazy.

3 Likes

With just a tad over 1.25 gallons in cold storage, I should have enough to last me a just about 75 years.

3 Likes