Hellhound mech mod, Satan subohms

What’s up vapefam!

SirRisc here with another gear review!
It’s been a while since I reviewed gear but that’s just the way it goes.
There’s a lot more juice out there than there is gear. Not that I mind… :wink:

This mod was sent to me as the winnings of a contest on e-liquid-recipes.com, and courtesy of focalecig.com.

Premise.

Now I have to admit to this first, before I got this Hellhound I had never owned a mech.
I always used regulated devices because I like them better and feel that it’s safer to use.
The Hellhound however convinced me to use mechs a little more often.
Not just because it looks kinda cool, it’s just good fun to build to battery spec.
On regulated mods I tend to build to 0.4ohm most of the time, but on a mech (and with a good battery!) I can go a bit lower and not worry about frying a chip.
With that said I’ve built myself a 0.15ohm dual coil for the first time on my Plume Veil and it’s a great vape!

Hellhound Mechanical Mod 1:1

Specifications.

• Silver plated adjustable 510 connection
  • Copper body
  • Side switch
  • Gold plated button and top/bottom caps
  • Magnet locked sliding top/bottom caps
  • 18650 battery
  • Adjust for battery rattle with a screw
  • Fully detachable switch mechanism

Packaging.

The box this mechanical mod comes in is fairly basic.
A rectangular black cardboard box with just the mechanical mod in it.
A couple of photos…

Performance.

Unfortunately I don’t have the tools handy to measure the voltage drop on the mod but it feels like it hits pretty well.
After using regulated mods for this long I did have to adjust the way I build a little bit.
Where I normally build a dual coil at 0.4ohm and toot away, I had to go for a slightly lower build to get the same performance.
With my trusty Plume Veil on top and a 0.15ohm dual coil build in it, I put my VTC4 battery in the mech, adjusted for battery rattle and toot toot!

The button is a bit tricky. When I push it anywhere other than the center of the button, it doesn’t seem to fire.
After a few stints of cursing, swearing and wishing the Hellhound to go back to hell, I took out the switch mechanism and adjusted the plate in the delrin switch.
When I put it back in, the problem was less obvious but still there. I reckon it might be a slightly hopeless case.

In terms of holding it I found two things wrong.
First of all the switch is placed on the side of the mod and it’s fucking annoying because hitting it with your indexfinger is nearly impossible without cramping your hand.
Hitting it with your thumb is about the only way apparently.
Secondly I found that if I grab the mech and hit the button, I push either one of the caps and they get dislodged.
In itself it shouldn’t really pose a problem if it weren’t for the fact that you’re using a mech mod and those things can short.

Generally speaking the Hellhound isn’t all that bad, but it could benefit from an upgrade to fix the issues.
Move the button to the bottom, put in some stronger magnets to hold the caps and you’d have a great mech mod.

Aesthetics.

Is the Hellhound beautiful? Maybe. It depends on your taste in mech mods of course.
The square mech mod hype has passed me by, and that’s coming from someone that is used to carrying square bricks (aka boxmods).
The black and gold theme is nice, it could have been classier in its execution, but it looks alright.

The Hellhound etching on the side of the mod shows you the copper underneath the black coating, and is matte but doesn’t seem to color like most copper does.
Personally I think it looks a bit tacky, the etching is too big and too flashy for my liking.
The ventholes were made to fit the eyes of the figure making out the O, which is a nice touch but I don’t think it’ll do much when a battery decides to vent.

Pros and Cons.

Pro.

• Sturdy copper body
  • Adjustable 510 connection
  • Looks alright!
  • Switch can be take apart completely

Con.

• The square shape might not be for everyone
  • Top and bottom cap tend to move when pushed
  • Switch doesn’t always work proper when pressed off-center
  • Weighs a bit too much to be comfortable

In conclusion.

If I’m truly honest about this, I still prefer my regulated mods. Even though the Hellhound takes away from the boxmods by being square, I don’t like the way it feels.
It’s a nice mech and it does what its supposed to do but it feels rather cheap at times.
In terms of aesthetics it’s a love or hate kinda thing, I think the etching is too big and makes the mod look tacky but I reckon some of you may like it.
All in all I’m happy I got it but I won’t be using it as much as I use boxmods.

In closing I would like to thank Daath and his brilliant website, e-liquid-recipes.com, for organising the contest. if you haven’t been to his website, I urge you to check it out!
Not only does it have thousands of great recipes for eliquids, it also has a great community with lots of friendly vapers!
Of course a big thank you to FocalEcig too for putting up the Hellhound as a prize!
And last but not least, all of you who have been reading my drivel, thank you!

Join me on my next review as I look into a tiny little temp control boxmod from Dovpo, the TC-50!

#staycloudy !

SirRisc disappears in a cloud of unicorn farts scented vapor (don’t ask, really.)

4 Likes

I have just got one and can not for the life of me get it to fire I’ve taken the firing button app cleaned it and placed it back but no luck… Any other ideas?

is the center pin making contact with you tank or dripper??