Help for Newbie please

:thinking: It seems to me that i have seen this argument before :rofl: and sadly the question. I would agree smaller volumes to start since you may find some unpleasant. Good luck to you and hope you find those links helpful, happy reading!

7 Likes

And 36mg liquid would stop that from happening? You know, I think that everybody is aware of the potential risks and won’t put their family at risk. If you can’t take care of your nicotine stash it doesn’t really matter if it is 100mg or 36.
And again, I have not seen any trustworthy report of anybody losing their life because of mishandled nic juice. Pets are not a good example anyway because of the different physiology, weight etc. If a pet died from nicotine poisoning, who is to blame anyway? With a dog in the house you have to take precautions and can’t even leave chocolate around.
And I’m not saying it’s mountain air or unicorn farts but the dangers seem overrated. If you are so sure why don’t you give me a link to something and ask me to google it? If i google long enough i find stories from both ends of the scale.

Point taken about pets. But many people have pets around and it is lethal for them. Many people also have children and accidents do happen.

Just an example here, there’s plenty of info available if you look around. The more scientific websites are perhaps not as easy to navigate and get the right information from, but it’s all there if you look.
http://www.tobaccoinduceddiseases.org/pdf-78014-14141?filename=Characteristics%20and.pdf
(PDF download)

snippet:

Discussion

This is the first study to report exposure incidents attributable to e-cigarettes, as recorded by poison centers in
multiple EU MS. Our results indicated that unintentional
exposure to e-cigarette refill liquids were responsible for
the majority of the reported incidents. The most frequent
route of exposure occurred as ingestion or respiration.
The human toxicity of nicotine has become increasingly relevant in the past few years through marketing of
new nicotine-containing products, such as smokeless tobacco and liquids for electronic nicotine delivery systems
(electronic cigarettes) that are readily available in most
countries [12]. This phenomenon has resulted in unprecedented access to potentially toxic doses of nicotine
and other harmful compounds in the home [13].
Our results are quite similar in comparison to the US
Poison Center report [14]. Vomiting, nausea and dizziness were the most frequent symptoms reported in incidents of e-cigarette exposure both in the US and the EU.
Dizziness and throat conditions were more frequent in
the EU compared to the US, but the overall profile of
clinical effects was quite similar [14]. While one death
was recorded in the US dataset, there were no deaths
among the European incidents [14].

Even though I can’t immediately find any more details about the death they talk about mentioned in the US study results, the EU study shows that there are frequent incidents with nicotine intoxication. Read the PDF for more numbers.
For me personally, it doesn’t need to lead to death to be considered dangerous. If doses aren’t too high, people get over it by themselves but in severe cases hospital treatment with antidotes is required.

3 Likes

All the time. But again, kids in the house, or pets, it’s up to you to take precautions. The same as you do with any alcohol in the house, paint thinner, the box of rusty nails or firearms. But the point here is hobby use where grown ups are involved of whom i just expect that they wash their hands after contact and don’t leave it accessible for kids, pets or whatever. If you can’t keep up common sense to that degree you won’t be saved by 36mg juice compared to 100mg.

3 Likes

Thank you Suomynona yes I spent days/weeks as a guest reader before I joined up. Thank you for all the links.

5 Likes

http://www.toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Nicotine+Toxicity

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3880486/

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9926222

2 Likes

Are you located somewhere in the north-western part of Europe perhaps? :slight_smile:

Hi cooper1 I live in Bali and my supplier only stock CAP Vanilla Custard V2. 30ml is the “standard” size here.

4 Likes

Thanks Guys
Yes have spent a lot of time as a guest going over recipes on here by ratings etc… and I have watched many Youtube videos (like New Amsterdam Vape’s DIY Beginner Guide etc…). Watched all of DIYorDIE’s Youtube videos etc… Based my initial order of recipies I think I would like or real versions of clones I have found. I have already got my scales and 60ml Gorilla bottles and 30ml glass dripper bottles. Basically, just want to know if I have missed an important must have mixer (either a particular flavor or enhancer like a sweetner etc…). I am a little limited, I live in Bali and don’t have access like many of you guys in the states to a full range of flavours and limited to what the distributors here decide to stock. (Here is my supplier and flavors available from TFA, Capella, Flovor West and Purilum) https://www.bukalapak.com/u/bycobyco/label/tfa.
Thanks everyone on here for your patience and help.
Cheers Don

10 Likes

You could try tokopedia and search tfa/flavor west/ flavour art/ capella there. There are even flavorah (some) and purilum at the byco store you mentioned. Also some raw (malaysian brand).

1 Like

A quick search show that at least there are 2 stores based in denpasar, DeVaPor and DiyorDie Vapor.

1 Like

Hey folks, there have been a few flags from this topic. There is no reason to delete any post on this thread. The best thing one can do is to present all sides, facts, and let the individual decide what is right for them.

10 Likes

Hi DonRon,

I’ve put in bold the things you need to see and the rest is important, but I ramble so grab a vape and enjoy…

Welcome to the world of DIY mixing. You are really going to enjoy the results.
As others have suggested, probably better to order more flavors in smaller quantities. Also Nicotine River has a great starter kit for $50 that is well worth the cost.

I choose 1 gallon of VG to 1 Liter of PG for my first order, but have since ordered a second Liter of PG.

For the nicotine, I made two purchases of nic in my first order. 1 bottle of 6mg premixed in VG (a liter) and a bottle of Nicotine River’s Pure Nic NICSHEILD 100mg/ml. I believe this is the safest way to dispense your nicotine and also help preserve it by allowing for less potential oxidation. Don;t forget if you do order premixed Nic/VG or PG- that 6mg will not be your end result when you have finished the recipe. Better to order 12mg premixed and let the calculator tell you how much to use. Premixed 6 turns our to be more like 5mg when done. Don’t forget to take proper safety precautions like wearing nitrile gloves and cleaning everything off immediately. After that I also purchased a bottle of NicSalts, because I found myself mixing for both regular atomizers and refillable pods. I’m still on the fence with NicSalts in general, but know I will be ordering another bottle soon.

The best advice I can give you is to select 3-5 recipes now, before you make your purchase, so you are certain you will be able to create something you desire. If you like a certain branded ejuice, do a search for it here and see if someone has tried to meet that flavor profile. A good example is CCD3 Remix (Charlie’s Chalk Dust Trifecta Vanilla Sea Salt Caramel Savory Ice Cream) or the Boss Reserve Clone. Illuminati V2 is another easy recipe I happen to like, just Blood Orange, Golden Pineapple Sweet Strawberries and Cotton Candy. If you like Primitive’s Buttermilk Pie, Hibborday has a good version here. Make sure you have included the flavors of those few recipes. My first order had 50 different flavors, but I could only make 2 things from them… I see you have 2 mangos on your list. Nicotine River’s GOLDEYE is a really good single flavor to buy. In general I find they offer the best everyday prices, but others run more sales. Start with Nic River and you will be happy.

When I mix, I also tend to use 30 ml glass boston round bottles. I usually make 2 bottles of each recipe when I mix, one to store for a long steep, and one to test along the way (during first week, after 2 weeks, 3 weeks… sometimes I won’t open the 2nd bottle until 6 weeks and I’m usually very impressed). I CAN’T STRESS THE PATIENCE YOU SHOULD TAKE IN ALLOWING SOME FLAVORINGS TO FULY BLOOM/OXIDIZE WHICH HAPPENS BEST WITH TIME. I stagger my recipes to include some that are ready to vape immediately with others that might need 3 weeks. A simple fruit recipe is usually perfect by the end of the first week if not sooner.

Glass Bottles. Good decision. You don’t know how long you might have something sitting around and I’m just not sold on HTPE 2 as being that safe for a complete recipe. It might be okay for the separate ingredients being sent to you, but not necessarily for the final product, unless you vape it all in a day. I ordered 72 on amazon for $31. I couldn’t understand paying $9.95 for 12 bottles on Amazon when for 3x the $ I could have 6x the bottles. UNLIKE FLAVORINGS WHICH HAVE A LIFESPAN OF ABOUT TWO YEARS, BOTTLES DON’T GO BAD, SO HAVING MORE THAN YOU NEED IS OKAY HERE. Also, how are you going to store your new flavorings, I use a simple grouping orf spice racks, but if you want other ideas, send me a message and I can discuss your options with you. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJRAB0M/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_60?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A182SCRUBOO1HZ]
Amazon is a good resource for things like gloves, racks, and YES BUY A SCALE. Best $24 you can spend that allows for easier mixing with less clean up and more accurate flavor ratios. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005UGBG20/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

My last suggestion for you is to buy a DYMO LABEL MAKER. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X9VZ70/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I choose these for my refill labels: the quality is everytthing you want and the assortment of colors can be good for you. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GR9FDVI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 When I make a new batch of something, I always name it, include the VGPG ratio, Nic level, Date made &/or date to hold before using. ie: “Boss Reserve MrE v1 4.9.18 hold 4.30.18 70/30 6mg”

I hope you found my comments and much of the others I have read helpful. Every company I know of will not let you make any changes to you order once placed, so double check everything before you hit the purchase button (I messed up and ordered 2 bottles of something on my last one, and forgot something else I needed).

Congrats, you just finished reading my ramble. Did you have a good vape while doing so? Did you remember to also hydrate. Once again, welcome, and please feel free to reach out to the community, you will find there are some really incredible people here ready to assist you in many ways.

7 Likes

Just read your last post, so you can disregard much of mine, but I think it is worth your reading anyway. DIYorDIE on YouTube and FRESH FROM THE KITCHEN on TVC channel are two more wonderful resources for your mixing education. I personally like Purilum flavorings and tend to use things like their Cookie, before anyone’s Sugar Cookie as well as Purilum’s Butter Cream and their BOYSENBERRY PRESERVES IS GREAT. TPA’s Blueberry Extra & Blueberry Wild are very popular and can be used together well… and do order Capella’s Golden Pineapple, and they do make everyone’s favorite Vanilla Custard V1

2 Likes

Nice links, but still no dead people.

While it would take a fair bit of nic to kill you (i believe 1500mg is survivable) and there have only been, as far as i can find 10 reported deaths mostly from industrial accidents. It may not kill you but it will however make you extremely sick (lasting effects i have no idea about) so is there any harm in recommending safety precautions be taken while handling nicotine.

We really do not need anyone even getting ill from it as it would reflect on all of us and we all know that all any government needs is one excuse and one case to pounce on.

I for one will always recommend gloves, eyewear as a minimum while handling Nicotine. I also stand while dealing with nicotine and wear long pants and sleeves. I do not want to be any part of any reason for the government to ban Nicotine sales.

There is no need to troll you are entirely free to deal with nicotine exactly how you want but I would suggest that the recommendation to any new diy person is to err on the side of safety.

5 Likes

So is it trolling now when I ask for links with prove? The links posted were not what I asked for (just data sheets with the well known warnings but no prove anything ever happened outside industry and farms where nic was used as a pesticide).

Well OK, you can’t have EVERYTHING perfect in life, right? :star_struck: I’m sure a lot of people would swap their 10ml bottle option for the option to live in paradise :wink:

I’d compare your list of flavors a bit to the list you see in the analyzing the 100 best recipes list, just to give you the options of making the most of your flavor stash. I’d say it’s a good start, although much bigger than most people would start with. If you’re willing to invest that much, that’s totally up to you of course but I’ve lived on a small island as well and I recognize that your options are very limited.
Flavors are so subjective that I’m not going to say “take this” or “leave that”… except for CAP Vanilla Custard V1. That is one you see in sooooo many recipes you almost can’t do without.

If you like mixing, you can be sure that shopping list is going to grow and grow so anything you miss now can be put on your next order :wink:

Cheers and happy mixing!

2 Likes

There are ALWAYS alternative suppliers if you look around and often it pays off to import good flavors from abroad. Nicotine may be a problem but flavors are just food products for customs.

1 Like

I really wish the conversation would get back to the (happy) topic, Nicotine is a toxin and should be handled properly. In its purest form it is quite toxic and you need to have the proper safety equipment and practices to work with it. A toxin is safer to handle the more it is diluted. 100mg base solution contains more nicotine per ml than 36mg base.
I’d much rather concentrate my thoughts with happy vaping thoughts and stories, and not the deaths associated with handling toxins. Nicotine is a known Toxin. It can and does kill.

I already know your going to continue to provoke me while you pass your false information on to Don and the other new and experienced mixers who read this post with crap like:

I still suggest @DonRon your first nicotine order (IMO) should be about 500ml of 36mg in a 50/50 pg/vg diluent. That’s just my opinion, it’s safer to handle than 100mg base.
And don’t get so much sweetener, even if you like really sweet e-juice.

1 Like