Help for the new guy

Hello e-Liquid Recipes community! I am new to the whole making your own e-juice stuff and I wanted to know why my recent batches of 3mg have been killing the back of my throat and near making me want to puke. I have been using Liquid Barns starter kit, tried strawberry and banana with 3mg, made me sick. I tried a simple root beer with 3mg, also horrible. But all of the 0mg I have made have been great. What did I do wrong?

1 Like

Oh no! That’s not good… Do you by chance have a nicotine titration kit? Sounds like your “3mg” juice might be higher than you think… Or you could have bad nicotine. Nicotine river sells the kits for about $8 I think. I would recommend not vaping any more of your nicotine until you know it’s the proper strength.

8 Likes

For trouble shooting purposes can you post a link or screenshot of the bad recipe? Is it possible you miscalculated the amount of nicotine you put in?

8 Likes

Or he did not shake the heck out of the Nic and got hot spots

9 Likes

Hi there, I’m new to this too, but from what I’ve gathered, we may need more information. What is your PG/VG ratio? PG can give a throat hit, so if it’s high, that could be part of it, but not likely given that your 0mg nic mixes are ok. Also, making sure to shake your finished mix very thoroughly is a factor, so you don’t get nicotine hot-spots, highly concentrated portions of the liquid that can be mostly nic. How long are you letting it sit before trying it? Hope this helps, I’m sure some veteran mixers will jump in here and give more educated responses. Cheers!

6 Likes

Yes good point. That could definitely cause problems.

4 Likes

Nice! You two jumped in while I was typing mine :slight_smile: it looked like I was the first to respond. Glad to see I’m not giving out bad advice!

6 Likes

Nicotine juice 48 mg (100% VG)
1.88g
PG dilutant
10.5g
VG dilutant
13.12g
Banana (LB)
2.1g
Strawberry (LB)
2.4g
Well here it is then.

I made several 0mg and different PG/VG ratios to try and see if it was that but all that were 0mg came out great whether the higher PG/VG. But it doesn’t matter if the 3mg have different PG/VG level. Also I tried them when I first made them all good to decent on the 0’s, 3mg’s were horrible. I let them all sit about a week and the 0’s are tasting even better, while the 3’s are not any better still a horrible hit in the back of your throat that lingers wanting to make you gag.

Try dropping your PG…you’re around 50/50 there, too much PG might be giving you that nasty feel…try going around 70/30 see if that makes a difference, PG gives more throat hit, you’ll make it smoother by going the other way around with your ratio.

4 Likes

well that’s clearly a nic problem then, I think you might have a bad batch, try getting a different bottle and see if you have the same problem.

6 Likes

I made a root beer flavor with the same, but its a 70 VG/ 30 PG and same problem. I’m familiar with throat hit, but this is just something else.

1 Like

I second that.

3 Likes

Does LB have traceable batch codes/batch dates on their nic? It could have been sitting for too long in storage, exposed to heat in transit for some unfathomable about of time, or just plain bad.

4 Likes

I agree, sounds like it’s your nic, @DanG4623 . Either it’s bad (my guess) or the strength is actually way higher than what it’s supposed to be.

5 Likes

There should be a lot number and a use or sell by date on your bottle of nic. what is it and what brand of Nic is it?

After trying many the only one that I will even consider buying is Nic Select from Nicotine River.

6 Likes

@Rob62 I am going to wait another day or two before I get another bottle of nic, until then I will make another batch and be sure to shake the nicotine a lot.

4 Likes

I would contact LB about this. If the nic is bad, they will probably be more than happy to send you a new batch.

Oops, should have replied to @DanG4623

3 Likes

Batch No: 1708935
Best By: 09/15/2018
Brand: Liquid Barn

1 Like

Ok. Also I have only had this nic for about a week and a half now is there a certain way I need to store it? Right now its in a dresser that is dark and stays room temp.