Help! I left a battery charger on

Ok, Im an idiot. I left a battery charger on and not going to be home for a couple days…its on a gfci switch…you guys think Im ok?..or should i go home and unplug it?

I have left them a few hours over the charge on a power strip but never a wall outlet…erhh I would go home at least your mind will be clear. Sorry that sux so bad

You dont think the gfci switch would break the circuit?

1 Like

I am unsure we’d need an electrician to answer this one ? @Kinnikinnick is an electrician I believe ? Can you help w/ this Jim ?

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

My daughter said I was fine…she told me in a text message her husband said they would be dead already because my daughter never unplugs them and always has batteries in them.

1 Like

Ha Holy moly ! Good to know she lives on the wild side eh ? !

1 Like

I dont like it…but it is on a gfci switch.

1 Like

I agree at least it’s on that kind and not a regular one. I don’t know what it would take to trip that switch I know they’re really useful in the kitchen & bathrooms.

Im pretty sure if over heats or shorts …

1 Like

Yea , I was meaning what kinda power wattages trips it. I know the hairdryer always seems to trip the one in the bathroom :wink:

Mine too…dam mmee! Im so mad at me.

1 Like

Doesn’t your charger stop charging when the battery is full?

2 Likes

Its supposed to, yes.

for years I have been leaving my chargers plugged in. this is the first I have heard of it being an issue…

2 Likes

Therein lies the key IMO.

I’m not trying to cause undue stress or panic…
but tech’s (like doctors) always seem to see the worst examples by nature of the job. So keep that in mind.

Unless I knew the ‘standards’ of the whole house…I’d be leary personally. But I always lean to the caution side on these types of things when a simple action can save a house, or belongings, etc etc.

Unless I’ve personally verified the hardware operation (being an electronics technician allows me the luxury that most don’t have) -and yes, I’m just retentive enough to be the one that does that (lol)- that it actually does shut off as it’s supposed to… I’m not one to trust ‘cheap electronics’; regardless of geographical point of origin. “When you’ve seen the worst that can happen…”, you tend to be overly cautious.

Other things that come to mind (since some aspects were mentioned) are:

• the gauge of wire?
  • the age of the house wiring?
  • insulating material type on it?
  • the length of the run (to the drop)?
  • the rating on the drop box (J-box)?
  • etc etc

There’s just too many factors…especially when you read references to a common hair-dryer tripping the circuit in the same thread, so the mind automatically starts down the paths of things that could be. [Which, incidentally, I’d be concerned if the hair-dryer trips a circuit regularly, as it’s almost certainly a sign of a potentially serious issue somewhere. Whether the dryer itself is heading south, or more likely, the drop to that particular outlet can’t handle the load, which could easily mean the wires in the wall are possibly overheating as well…in trying to keep up with the current demands (read as: amperage).]

I’d have more ‘piece of mind’ if it was on a GFCI than if it wasn’t…but… that’s not to say that I’d not still be concerned about what happens before an actual short-condition was created by an overheating unit, or in melt-down state (pre-short). And that also assumes that the charging unit has a grounded (3-prong) plug (which most that I’ve seen don’t).

Typically, a GFCI should only come into play when a ground fault comes into play (hence: Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor). To my recollection, it’s not designed to protect against over-volting (spikes), under-volting (brown-out), etc. Only a power regulation device will account for that.

Try not to worry, especially if you live in a ‘newish’ facility. But if you are close enough that it’s not a major inconvenience…I’d say it’s worth-while enough to check on. If nothing more that simply regaining that piece of mind!

Do you have a family member or neighbor with a spare set of keys to the place to ‘solve this’ situation that’s weighing on you?

I hate that nagging feeling too. Never any fun worrying about stuff like this.

EDIT: more technical details

3 Likes

BTW…again, more for point of reference, lol

I’m one of the few who actually unplugs his more expensive gear when lightning-rich storms are coming. Not worth replacing when something so simple can prevent the loss. So there’s that.

I lost a very expensive (to me) OPPO dvd player in a surge/brownout situation a couple years ago that reminded me to get back into the habit. 6 surge-protectors in use here…and it was on one of the few setups that didn’t have one. Go figure. ><

2 Likes

You are awesome! Thank you! Home is an hour away…going to probably go this morning.

Sorry I’m a little late to the party, but I think @Sprkslfly has it covered. :grinning:

My thoughts on this are…if it gives you peace of mind for a particular device to not be plugged in when you’re not at home, make a habit of unplugging it when you are finished using it…every time. Yes, I unplug my cheap ass battery charger every time I get through using it…it’s habit, because I’ve seen too many screen shots of charred cheap ass battery chargers.

But, let’s throw some perspective on this issue. How many other devices do we leave plugged in when we’re away from home and trust they won’t burn our house down? :thinking: I’d say every single one we own. :smirk:

5 Likes

We went home and unplgged it. Had to do some shopping anyway lol

3 Likes