Help making my very first original recipe (Lemon Poppyseed Cake/Muffin)

Wanting to make a nice glazed lemon poppyseed cake/muffin. Im a complete noob when it comes to making my own recipies but i have looked up a few real poppyseed cake recipies and am getting ideas for what flavors would work best. Heres some flavors i own and have picked out (that might work well in this mix). Any percentage suggestions or flavor suggestions are much appreciated!

Here is the flavorings im thinking about using:

• FW Yellow Cake - A classic flavoring that will hopefully give that nice fluffy, buttery cake flavor.

• CAP Butter Cream and/or CAP Golden Butter - To emulate that buttery baked taste, will probably use this at low percentages

• CAP Juicy Lemon and/or FA Lemon Sicily - Thinking of using both of these together, as far as i understand lemon sicily seems better suited for bakery flavors and has a creamy element to it?

• CAP French Vanilla and/or TPA Vanilla Swirl - To add some nice subtle vanilla to the mix, hopefully will round out rough edges and add some smoothness. Not sure which one will work best. Also will hopefully add to the glaze flavor notes.

• TPA Sweet Cream and/or FA Fresh Cream - Hopefully will add some sweetness to the mix and emulate the sugary glaze along with the vanilla notes

I also have some other flavorings that might work well/replace what i have listed above (CAP Sugar Cookie, INW Biscuit, TPA Grahamcracker Clear, FA Joy, TPA Marshmallow, FA Meringue, TPA Whipped Cream, TPA Bavarian Cream)

Now what i am completely lost on, is how i would be able to emulate the poppyseed flavor in this recipe. I have some hazelnut flavoring and i also have some AP but i have no idea if either of those would even get remotely close to what im looking for.

Really would appreciate some help, hopefully this post doesnt annoy any of you - i tried to add as much info as i could with notes and reasoning for my concentrate selections. I searched on ELR and can not find any recipes for a Lemon Poppyseed muffin or cake, i would just try and adapt one of those mixes if they were available. I know this flavor is possible to make because ive had a lemon poppyseed juice before and it was bang on and is one of my all time fav juices (fogging awesome ejuice’s Isabella)

5 Likes

hmmmmm the poppyseed flavor may be tough , i havent had a poppyseed muffin in 4ever , i wonder if
@Amy2 or @Beaufort_Batches may be able to help those two know flavors very well especially these types ( less known )

if i rememeber correctly the poppyseed always put off a fruity note , i just cant put my finger on that fruit taste

3 Likes

Good memory poppy seeds do take on a bit of fruitness but also have a nuttiness to them as well. It could go a multitude of ways the OP could use marzipan its almond takes on a bakery sweetness kept low it’s possible it could bring about a poppy seed finish.

to me poppy seeds could be described as Umami - Definition is - According to the official Umami Information Center, “umami is a pleasant savory taste imparted by glutamate, a type of amino acid, and ribonucleotides, including inosinate and guanylate, which occur naturally in many foods including meat, fish, vegetables and dairy products.”

It has this jellacious form kinda like a chia seed when baked and it kinda can taste like them too a lil.

@Br4d24 Hazenut seems a bit forward of a nut to really come off as a poppy but if it taste right to you and you enjoy it that’s all that matters. It’s a really hard profile to break down.

Hazenut seems a bit forward of a nut to really come off as a poppy and AP is really further away imho it’s great for the sturdy breadiness of a muffin but think a fiberous muffin not a fluffy which would be more yellow cake or vanilla cupcake or nonna’s cake. FW’s yellow cake is a coil killer and a lung junker w/ reports of fructose used in their products… I respectfully get you get to choose what you use I just want you to be in formed should be un aware.

4 Likes

Pretty sure it wont give you a poppy seed flav but maybe marzipan as @Amy2 suggested with a tiny bit (.1% or less) of Cardamom (fa) may give you a replacement.

4 Likes

I read the poppyseed opinions and formed one myself then deleted it cause it sounded smart aleck. So in a non smart aleck way, I cannot taste anything with poppyseed covered cakes or muffins and decided it must be used for decoration especially for your teeth. Trying to find a flavor that mirrors poppyseed is comparable to chasing a rainbow and you will become insane figuring it out. You could eat a spoonful of it and get a good idea that way. But a muffin is just sprinkled with poppyseed and the taste of the muffin will drown it out yet show in your smile. I’d just make the muffin and not worry about the decoration. Let us know how it turns out

5 Likes

Out of your list above Personally I would use sweet cream and the vanilla swirl still thinking about the rest! Also new Fw white cake instead of yellow if you don’t want the sucrose. Also lemon cake by inawera This might be the key ingredient for your mix!?! Sorry to recommend flavorings you don’t have! Always an endless chase for the perfect flavorings! Lol

4 Likes

LoL!

Yeah maybe just search Lemon Cupcake on the Recipe Search [click me]

Cake Batter (CAP)?
Pound Cake (Flavorah)?
Nonna’s Cake (FA) (Lemon cake)?

5 Likes

How is the FLV pound cake? Have you tried white gremlin? I tried PUR yellow cake and felt it was so weak it wasn’t worth fooling with. Not very yellow cake like either but more of a syrup

2 Likes

Keep cake batter low if you use it I’d say no more then 2./. It’ll take over and tastes like shit when used at 4./. Just a heads up lol

3 Likes

thanks for the help and input everyone! Ended up mixing a bunch of different lemon recipies so ive kind of tired myself out on this one. Gonna come back to it very soon though - deffs a flavor profile i want to nail at some point.

2 Likes

Did you figure out any recipes that were close?

1 Like

Gah not really, I ended up finding a really good lemon ice cream recipie called dude wheres my lemons - that scratched my lemon itch for a while. I think trying to nail this poppyseed muffin profile is a bit beyond my skill level at the moment so im kind of putting it on the back burner for now. Just started mixing so im gonna stick to making some more simple recipies. Deffs gonna come back to this idea in the future, once i have a better grasp on what flavors do what in certain mixes.

2 Likes

just make a lemon cake and forget the poppyseed. i swear those things dont have any flavor. dont eat these muffins before your hot date unless you use a waterpik

3 Likes

Do poppyseeds HAVE a flavor?

3 Likes

They probably do if you eat a spoonful of them! (You should do that and report back. :wink: ) I don’t really notice them in muffins/cakes other than the texture.

2 Likes

I think they add this :point_up_2: rather than actual flavour. A sort of savouriness to the sweetness of the lemon cake. Could be just my imagination though :laughing:

1 Like