Help with harshness/dryness

Hello everyone.

I have been noticing lately (after vaping a few of my own custards and creams etc) that my fruit and beverage mixes are tasting rather harsh/dry. Not a high nic or voltage harsh, but more of a sharpness that I find a bit harsh. It’s happened now with my peach recipes, as well as some cherry ones and even kiwis, limes etc.

Any advice on how to smooth them out a little? I’ve been using the concentrates at medium to low percentages (1-3%) and let them steep for a couple of days too to see if that will help them settle but in some cases it seems steeping makes it worse.

Would you recommend I try (in very low percentages) cactus (to make more juicy), meringue, a light cream or marshmallow as a smoothing aid?

9 Likes

Cactus can indeed induce juicy-ness, and marshmallow CAN take the edge(s) off, but as you said, you have to keep it fairly low, or it will kill a lot of the “punch” from the fruits.

11 Likes

First off i ask how long are you letting them steep? What are the concentrates in the mixes? What ohms on the coils are you using? Are you building your coils and wicking or are they brand specific? How far are the vents open? What vg/pg ratio are you using? What % are your mixes? Whats the highest % flavors? I only ask these ?’s because what is sometimes harsh on one device isnt always harsh on others. And all these ?’s can and will play into the harshness of the vape. On a dual coil build a juice sometimes might be harsh but on my mesh decks they are not. So before you add into a mix address some of these ?’s. Cause sometime adding the smallest amount of something else an change the mix. I use blackcurrant wf sc in strawberry mixes and putting in .15% works but if i then goto .25% it does change the profile completely. So be careful adding on when it could be one of the ?’s i asked

12 Likes

The Perfumers Apprentice offers a product that does what you’re looking for.

From their website: “Smooth” will round out any harsh edges and provide a thick, satisfying mouthfeel. It will soften the high notes of your blend while boosting your background notes."

Smooth (TPA) :: Flavor list e-Liquid Calculator
Note: Use it sparingly because too much can mute your flavors.

11 Likes

I have used mts vape wizard fa when i was mixing up real flavors sc as they had a bite to them but i only used 2 drops per 100ml

8 Likes

Yes…it’s the same thing basically.

8 Likes

Fruits I generally steep 2-4 days.
Coils are dual fused claptons @1.3Ohm, 80Watt with vents fully open on Thunderhead creations Blaze.
VG/PG is 70/30 as with most of my mixes
Average percentage is around 8-12% total
Nic is freebase 3mg
Max % on any one ingredient is 3% as I usually do - for instance - 2 peaches at 3% each for instance rather than 1 peach at 6%. That obviously depends greatly on the flavour itself and the recommended (or average used percentage) on ELR.

5 Likes

I’ve seen the ingredient on forums etc and am thinking of adding it to my next order, but was also asking if there is anything maybe that I already have that could have a similar effect.

4 Likes

1.3ohms is that correct at 80w? Thats crazy as i dont run 1 ohm above 30w. No need too. You do understand, that level ohms is going to be flavor saturated. And you will get notes out of it you normally wont get compared to .3ohms. Running at that ohms you would be better off running the liquid a little thinner. 60/40. I have a buddy i make for, he runs 1.2ohms and he is on 50/50. I think a lot of your harshness at those %’s are your setup. Id try going to a .3ohm setup this way you get flavor and still get vapor.

5 Likes

I run 1.3 ohms in a lot of my MTL’s and use 70/30 or higher. I do low wattage at those ohms though, rarely over 10 to 12 watts for a 1.3 ohm set up.

6 Likes

@SkinnyboyDre Triacetin is what you’re after. You can buy it from TPA (possibly resellers), or just pick up the TPA Smooth.

6 Likes

Yeah you can at low wattage but it also goes on the what you use. He uses factory coils so 50/50 gives him longer spans on coil swaps. And he runs at 12w lol

2 Likes

Was just going by what I saw, never saw anything to say factory coils (which I also used 70/30 on) or 12 watts (comment said 80w)… Just disregard my answer. as I obviously didn’t have all the facts :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Apologies…0.13Ohms Typo on my behalf

5 Likes

Ok there we go now some liquid can present itself in many ways. You are running at .13 so you are on the end where its going to be less flavor more clouds. And that build could be causing the harshness. What i would do before adding anything to your liquid is go to a .2-.25 ohm setup. As unfortunately it may not be the flavors causing the harshness it could be the vg/pg. change your build up and see what happens. Also are you using ss nichrome or kanthal wire? Also let your fruits when you have multiple in it steep 7-10 days. Cause also they are fruits you do have some that have a natural bite and need time to mellow. I let everything no matter what steep a min of two weeks. It really does take that long for everything to gel together.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice @Psycho_316 .

I will absorb all the advice given and use it going forward. I’ve been mixing for only around 4 months now, so still very new to the hobby.

I do prefer higher wattage devices and builds and try to mix juices better suited for that.

I also know that some flavours/ingredients can be a bit harsh/dry/astringent/sharp so I tend to keep that in mind too.

Again, thank you for the advice and guidance.

4 Likes

The ones that are harsh or have a bite you set them away for a few months then go to them. They will mellow on their own. If you want to do flavors that can be vaped in a few days and fruits are your thing do it with strawberry and let others steep

4 Likes

You can try adding some Tfa smooth, it should get rid of the harshness

4 Likes

Good idea!

4 Likes

Harshness OR Dryness or both? If u diy and want more wet or juiciness add cucumber or pear and harshness is 9 outta 10 times the Nic.Try salt nic its smooth up to 50mg in the US

1 Like