Hi Is this 18650

In that best of all possible worlds, why would one care whether or not the Molicel Company “approves”?

Evidently then, it sounds like you did not experience any “incidents” with your (3500 mAH) “Fogstars” ?

How would a humble user manage to have any specific idea as to what (internal) cell temps rise to ?

:grinning:

1 Like

Because it’ll come to a point where vape shops will only use recommended products, or able to sell recommended products by legislation and it takes away consumer choice.

Nope, the worst that happened to a battery to me was that it wasn’t performing well anymore after more than 2 years of intensive use. I rewrap batteries, carry them in plastic containers and check that I don’t ask more from them than what they’re designed for. The hottest my batteries get is when they’re charging, which is lukewarm at best. These 10A batteries are usually charged at 500mA or less.
I’ve only used those batteries in low output 3 battery mods or a MTL device, well below a 10A output and in TC mode where an accidental push of the button might change temp but not wattage.

When it’s too hot to touch, it’s hotter than 65C. You feel that heat radiating through the mod. But short internal temperature peaks that are very damaging are obviously very hard to detect. When that happens, you should see battery performance deteriorate however and that’s a good indicator that you’re abusing your cells.

2 Likes

You recommended Molicel batteries in part on a basis that the manufacturer was “OK” (with vaping applications).

That would be entirely different than operational performance, or any governmental or private meddlings with “allowed”/“dis-allowed” ?

I suppose that you imagine “regulators” (of sorts) leaping-upon “not for vaping” statements, then ?

(In fact), there exist some FDA docs from a few years back discussing Mod power electronics. From what I recalled, (my) concern was that approved Mods would (have) to use an internal battery - which did not (in itself) appear to affect external batteries availability.

I have browser bookmarks to those FDA-related documents (presumably find-able).

It seems safe to assume that following May 12, the (FDA-regulated) industry (as we know it) will end.
:nerd_face:

1 Like

I’m not leaping to any conclusions but I’m seeing possibilities. A lot depends on how the market behaves and that’s unpredictable.

2 Likes

“Solely to Comply with UL 8139”

(FDA Guidance, November, 2019):

In this guidance, FDA sets out its compliance policy for premarket review requirements for two types of limited modifications to new tobacco products that were on the market as of August 8, 2016:
(1) modifications to battery-operated tobacco products solely to comply with UL 8139; and
(2) modifications to liquid nicotine products solely to comply with the Child Nicotine Poisoning Prevention Act of 2015 (CNPPA) flow restrictor requirements for liquid nicotine containers.

The cogent question is: does the FDA’s statement (above), “modifications to battery-operated tobacco products solely to comply with UL 8139”, mean that remove-able battery devices cannot (thus will not) be approve-able (in review) for use by the FDA after May 12, 2020 (less than one month from today) ?

(Underwriters Laboratories, October 17, 2018):

The testing requirements for UL 8139 specifically evaluate the safety of the electrical, heating, battery and charging systems. The Standard does not address devices that have removable battery cells or the consumables of the e-cigarette, including, e-liquids, vapor substances, wicks, other particulate matter.

What is the scope of UL 8139? UL 8139 evaluates the safety of the electrical system, including batteries, chargers, and protection circuits and controls, in electronic cigarettes and vaping devices, also known as ENDS (electronic nicotine delivery systems).

Does the standard apply to products with removable battery cells? The standard does not evaluate the performance of e-cigarettes with removable battery cells.

(“Baditude” posting at ECF, October 23, 2018):

UL (Underwriters Laboratories) TRIES TO ELIMINATE THE MAJOR RISK FACTORS
The new voluntary safety standard for vaping products, known as UL 8139 covers the entire electrical system: battery, charger and built-in battery management systems. A device with a removable battery cannot meet the UL 8139 standard. This eliminates the exploding battery in the pocket scenario. The device must also be designed in a way that makes it difficult for the user to change the heating coil or other major component. … It looks like this policy would eliminate mechanical mods, juice delivery attachments that will accept replaceable coils, and battery devices that use removable Li-on batteries from the e-cigarette market in the US. In other words, the only e-cigarettes that will be acceptable by UL and the FDA would be regulated battery devices with a battery management system that also uses a non-remove-able internal LiPo battery and use a “closed system” juice attachment whose wick/coils can not be removed.

1 Like