Hidden science behind normal and accelerated e-Liquid steeping

You were a noob once… I’m sure steep wasn’t your best friend. :relaxed:

8 Likes

It seem to be a good idea to mix flavorings first and let it steep some.
I think it should speed up the process up to 3-10 times due to lack of dilution.
What do you think guys?

I thought the idea of steeping was to bond flavor with the flavor carrier. Alot of people already make a flavor base for quick mixing. I have a few, but I haven’t noticed any reduction in steep time from using a flavor base.

2 Likes

But what about all that molecule marriage lol? They should combine in undeluted mix more fast.
If they doesnt than there is no such thing and steeping = solving

I currently have 7 flavor bases on hand, and the steep time when I mix with them is roughly the same as normal, I would say - perhaps a tiny bit less time… It’s the blending with the flavor carrier and nic that requires the longest steep…

7 Likes

A wonderful and brilliant read. Thank you ever so much for sharing this with everyone.

I wonder though, has anyone tried using say an air pump (think fish tanks) with a diffuser (the stone thing that makes the air bubbles tiny and helps aerate the water) to stir things up?

Not sure how this could be executed. Just an idea I’ve been kicking around in my head.

I was trying to remember who it was that used the aeration method combined with UV light for steeping. He said it worked like a champ; I’m lazy and just let time do the work. ; )

2 Likes

Found it!

1 Like

UV lighting, like ones used to replicate the sunlight for reptiles?

Interesting.

UV lighting as in Black Lights.

1 Like

Sorry my days at the pet store talking. The UVA and UVB lights we used for reptiles are in similar comparison to the black lights used in night clubs, etc…

Yeah, I was referring to the black lights from this era…

6 Likes

Hahahah well played sir… I had one of those growing up. Good times.

1 Like

Please, don’t tell me those are POST Hippies. Please, anything but that!

2 Likes

Yeah, I turned it off just as soon as he admited that he did not allow #3 to breath. Just frothed, then closed it up.

I have mixed my first 4 flavors ever, over the last 48 hours. I did the strawberry in a dripper bottle so I was unable to use the frother, and the other 3 got the full treatment.

I used the frother, to MIX and add air bubbles. I then placed the bottles in a heating pad folded over, and left them for an hour and a half, I then removed the lids and dripper tips, and allowed them to sit in a closet on the top shelf for 2 hours, then put the lids back on.

Today, I took them out, warmed them in the heating pad, and removed the lids and tips and allowed them to steep in the closet.

None of mine held onto the bubbles he has in #3. Those bubbles were almost gone after the lid-off sit in the closet on day 1, and were completly gone by the time I got back to them on day 2.

The color is almost amber, not quite, but it is much darker than the strawberry I did.

So his conclusions are useless, and are kind of like allowing a Nascar driver, to start his car, but not allow him to ever use the gear shift knob to put the car into gear.

BTW, with an addition I made yesturday of a just a tiny bit more of caramel, I have almost duplicated the ADV I was buying at my local B&M.

That was my primary goal for DIY’ing my juice. Got it in my tank right now. Will be putting the recipe up after I get it perfect.

But thanks for the video and info Shaner.

3 Likes

Dont blame hippies for those disco duck’ers.(cleaned it up just a bit)

There is a big difference, and there was much celebration and the world rejoiced when disco died.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

2 Likes

Wondered why you got so quiet. Guess you can’t be a noob if you don’t start blending…lol

I know I did!

3 Likes

I am both happy and jealous that youve found it so quick. Unlucky for me I dont think I will ever be able to recreate mine.

3 Likes

Feel your pain!

4 Likes

I guess I am reviving and old read. But I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for all this great info. I am a hobbiest chef I like to say. And when I first started researching DIY e-liquid I wondered why everything I was seeing when mixing e-liquid had all the ingredients going in at the same time. With cooking, you never just throw everything in a pan and apply heat. And since these are all food grade substances the same must in some way be true of mixing e-liquid. So even before reading this thread, which taught me a lot, I had plans to mix a couple recipes I have found here with bakery and fruit flavors in them by mixing the bakery flavors first then adding the fruit flavors near the end of the steeping process. Has anyone else done this here?

Also, I have been using this little hobby paint mixer I bought for $10

I have been sitting the liquid in a hot water bath while hitting it with the mixer. This thing works great for frothing up the liquid.

I also have a Ninja blender setup. But I am just thinking I would lose a ton of juice inside that thing mainly because I vape high VG liquids and since I am very new to this I am mixing small batches. I just can’t imagine anything better at getting my small batches of juice mixed. I have been using my flasks which are pretty easy to get 99.9% of the liquid out of and using this mixer is quick and very clean. I guess when I start perfecting a few recipes to the point I am comfortable making larger batches that Ninja blender may be the way to go.

Thanks again guys. I just wanted to share my experience so far.

4 Likes