Honest conversation about pre-prepping and FDA Deeming Regs

I’m not far behind ya brother! So I appreciate the reading material!! :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s going to be very interesting, and shake up a lot of assumptions. I don’t want to get into politics not related to vaping here, but the implications for the gun-control debate, for instance, are kind of huge… that’s a discussion for another forum though.

But yeah, take a look at this : https://www.tormach.com/product-pcnc-440.html. Still pricey, still requires some specialized knowledge to use, but these are the early days. It looks like relatively small and inexpensive 4-axis machines are coming, fast. It won’t be long before you can essentially be SXK (on a small scale) in your garage for much less than what lots of people have traditionally spent on home shops.

4 Likes

Fixed it for you :wink: :grin:

3 Likes

I agree on the nicotine part if they are going to get us that’s how they will do it. As for me I took my prep one step beyond stocking up on nicotine, I spent about 2 months going from bakery stores to gnc health stores finding vg, pg, and flavors. And I have a list of stores inside a 40 mile radius of my home in middle Tennessee that carry those things on the self. The purpose of doing it was to maybe find nic that you can buy otc but I still haven’t found it. As far as vg, and flavors most standalone bakery supply stores have both and gnc has vg, and pg, in small bottles about 120ml. Cotton and wire can be found everywhere as long as you look in the right place for the right kind (hobby lobby) has everything from unicorn bottles to vg the only thing they don’t have is pg and nicotine. Thanks everyone I really love this diy community and as long as we stick together we can put the screws to big tobacco.

6 Likes

Yeh, the dependence is definitely an issue. The one thing I really don’t like about vaping (as opposed to smoking) is that there’s always this thread running in my brain thinking about whether I have enough batteries, if my batteries are charged, have I mixed enough juice, do I have enough juice with me, what happens if my mod fails, etc. That’s legit pretty annoying (vapers are like the special forces of nicotine addicts- we’ve got a contingency plan for everything, and carry a lot of equipment with us.) At least when I smoked I just had to have a couple of packs if I was going to be far from stores for a while…

I’ll admit that I do like nicotine though. I’m not crazy about the dependence, but I like nic itself. It makes you alert when you need to be, without making you strung-out the way caffeine can. But it can also make you calm when you want to be calm, if you vape a bit more. If it weren’t for its addictiveness I’d call it the perfect drug…

7 Likes

Batteries! I keep forgetting batteries that’s the only other thing I can’t find even though I have been told that they are out there somewhere like in the hobbyist remote control car world.

4 Likes

I can go with 90% of that. My head has gone a little different place with the contingency planning however. I seem to actually enjoy it. I like having a few mods with a few flavors. I look forward to all of that as part of what makes my day enjoyable. Therein I’m ambivalent. I love the activity and resent the dependency. As you say “if it weren’t for it’s addictiveness” I think it could be a pure joy.

3 Likes

18650’s are widely used in flashlights :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I figure I have a year to stockpile… nic is high on the list for me… sure I can drop to zero nic but honestly I don’t want to… I started at 18 and after 4 years I am down to 3 and I like it right there… yes I’m still hooked on nicotine but I enjoy it. As far as my prep kit goes… a gallon or 2 of nic will last my wife and I years to come. Mods and tanks/drippers are my next concern to make sure I have plenty of… so maybe 25 mods and around 40 tanks and drippers with extra glass and parts… everything else can be purchased otc most places…

3 Likes

Well, I’m just bad at mornings, I guess. I have a significant commute, so I have to get up earlier than I’d like, and it’s always a bit of a hustle to get out the door on time anyway. Vaping makes the morning checklist twice as long, and it’s a problem if I fail to check every box. Vaping has a lot more moving parts than smoking (and way more than not smoking or vaping.)

At least if you smoke you can just hit a store and get another pack, which you’ll smoke anyway, so no loss. And there’s no analogue to a mod just failing… maybe the closest thing would be jumping in a pool with cigs in your pocket or something.

I’ve been vaping for a while though, so I’ve learned to deal with it, and backup my backups. But I’ve had some serious fails along the way.

3 Likes

Yeah but I can’t find the flashlights that they belong in at any stores or
replacement batteries for them. Even though they will probably never tax
them in association with vaping I would still feel better if I could find
them at a store to buy otc.

2 Likes

Lol, makes perfect sense. I’m sure a decade ago I would have been the same. I’m retired now. I do work a few days a week with a friend who owns a floor covering store but I’m not tight on time by any means.

3 Likes

I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that the FDA is not going to prohibit the sale of 18650s. They claim remarkable powers, but I think that would be a bridge too far, even for the FDA.

3 Likes

Yeah, I finally got to taste Suicide Bunny’s “Mother’s Milk” the other day, because of this. I recently had a very bad week, so bad I could barely remember to take my wallet with me in the morning, and I somehow managed to forget to bring any juice with me when carrying only an RDA one day.

I mix all my own juice, and pretty much never buy juice, but… I needed some, and there is a shop in the town I work in that sells juice. So I spent 28 bucks on 60 mills of “Mother’s Milk,” since I’ve heard so much about it (and that was the only size the shop sold.) Gotta say, I was not impressed- pure Graham Cracker, as far as I could tell. That said, I did not let it steep. I only vaped a couple of mills of it, and then lost it, so I’ll be interested to see if it has gotten better when I find it again.

4 Likes

I’m 99.9% sure you’re safe with the batteries. If the FDA does anything regarding the powering of devices I would place my money on dedicated internal batteries to prevent user interface. Even that is a stretch per the grandfathered devices. It would at least take time. Probably more important, there is nothing for them to gain. Vaping products are ripe for a power struggle. A lot of money to have control over.

3 Likes

Yeah they would have to come up with some good excuses to tax or regulate
batteries or everything else we need to never smoke cigarettes again except
the nicotine part. If we as a group get the nicotine part under control,
diy will be the way of the future.

3 Likes

My goal in this is to be able to get in my truck and go to a store and buy the things I need to vape. Not to rely on the internet or delivery of any kind. The have proven they can regulate nicotine already by not allowing it on airplanes for shipment what if they prohibited shipping directly to consumer all together and they try that with everything we need to vape. I know this is a stretch but they have a lot more money than we do and nothing but time.

2 Likes

Worst case scenario, I will give up the nic if it becomes unattainable or too expensive to buy. I started at 6mg and now at 3 so it’s not too big a dependency for me. More of a habit I enjoy. Vaping in general simply satisfies my oral fixation. :triumph:
Vape gear is gonna go crazy high in cost I fear, with FDA controlling it. Since we all know it’s not about our health but the almighty dollar. But I’ll try to stay optimistic with just a hint of pessimism.

4 Likes

Cutting down on nicotine dependence has been a focus of mine for about 5 years. I began at 18mg; now I’m vaping 1.5mg or 1mg. To consciously vape 0mg is more of a mind over body at this point. Maybe I’ll try vaping 0mg before bed…but I think I’ll have nightmares. LOL.

5 Likes

I think the Aegis is worth considering because of it’s durability. How long the chip set will last in the long run, I’m not sure but many reviewers are praising it. I believe Battery Mooch will be doing military grade testing on this device soon as well.

5 Likes