How do you rate a juice?

This is a good topic…

With how most are today… yeah… a small comment can be taken so many ways… stars and bars and hearts… we all love them… but again. with equipment from old to new…from new to old mixers… from the older recipes with years of hanging and rating… and then mixers wondering why their recipes do not get many ratings… it can be very frustrating.

Not a clue is there is a solution or not…

I do not rate others, because its very very rare I mix anyone else’s… I am too busy toying with my own flavors, retesting my solos and working on my own recipes to my own pallet… anyone can check to see the ratings you leave others… its no offense to anyone.

How I rate my own… is pretty much like @anon28032772 :smiley:

7 Likes

I don’t rate others unless I’m blown away by the recipe, which isn’t very often. That’s not to say I won’t shoot them an favorable comment. As for my own. when I first joined ELR I rated my recipes fairly high but soon realized what I considered good might suck to someone else, so I stopped doing that. And I may be the minority in this one but I now feel that rating one’s own recipe is, in my opinion only…lame. I’ll leave the rating to my peers to decide.

8 Likes

I only rate my own mixes. I will only rate/review a flavor if I like it.
I use asterisk (star*) symbols in my LibreOffice recipe lists. * is a standard footnote, one star is not used for mix ratings.
No stars: Did not work out.
** Mix is good but worth working on.
**^ Two and a half stars, work on these first (^).
*** Almost there, keep experimenting.
**** An ADV, but if a new flavor comes out, could try to improve.
Symbols tend to stand out and an easy search can be ran.

6 Likes

I do just about the same thing for my own mixes. One difference though is that my 5 star recipes all have the potential to be ADVs. I have a separate folder for ADVs. However, I will rotate between the two as I’ll grow tired of a particular juice. I currently have 16 ADVs and 91 5 stars. I never lack for something good to vape.

5 Likes

My recipes come from bar tender pairing suggestions and food recipes. Every once in a while I’ll browse recipes here just see what other pairings people have tried. I use “juice me up” and don’t post recipes. The ELR recipe list is TMI for me coupled with bizarre names. Just not something I can effectively use. I’ve found no effective way to correlate ratings with what I like.

8 Likes

Same here basically, i don’t rate my own recipes and if I make a recipe public then that means it’s as good as I think I can make it, and it’s also just plain good to vape(to me). If I mix other people’s recipes then I almost never rate them, and if I do it’s because they deserve 5 stars for their work lol…most of the time I have to make at least one substitution in any given recipe, so rating it doesn’t seem fair if I was going to use that system in the first place.

4 Likes

that is a great idea.

6 Likes

Just adding a 12&36-month optional filter for recipes and their ratings (and flavors too) would be a better idea imo.

Additionally, adding a limitation to max 5 new recipe entries per month and max 5 recipe reviews would make sense too. Not all recipes are equally good and this would push mixers AND reviewers to select the best ones which would be beneficial to the community. I believe 60 best recipes per year would be more than enough (and this would also limit publishing unfinished recipes which appears to be a problem; and if one has more recipes, they can easy publish them on forum instead).

Additionally, a limitation for overall max 5 reviews of a single mixer would make sense. I understand some are mixing recipes primarily of one mixer only, but this would make sense to prevent friendship ratings, double accounts, ghost reviews, etc + again this would allow the best recipes to jump up over the average which would be cool for the community. (in case this is a good idea, then one should have an option to delete his prior reviews to be able to review/rate another best ones ofc).

3 Likes

Poor @anon84779643 … she’d need a lifetime to publish all her recipes and we’d never get to see her for what she’s worth

Even though I get your point, it looks way too much like big brother who’s telling you what you can or cannot do. The way ELR works right now has its pros and cons, but let’s just focus on all the pros, all the freedom that you get here that you don’t find anywhere else. Would you really want Lars to take that away from YOU? Or just from others that don’t work like you do?

I know opinions are divided and both sides have strong arguments, but the freedoms we have at ELR are very valuable and I think we should cherish them and not ask for restrictions.

7 Likes

I have a better plan coming, @Suomynona… or at least for me… :smiley: maybe… will see.

Isn’t that the truth? :smiley:

4 Likes

Well said.

4 Likes

If I love it, I rate it. If it’s something I might mix again but think it needs work for me to enjoy it, I usually don’t rate it. Right or wrong, that’s how I do my ratings.

4 Likes